Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,215Posts
    • 13,024Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    !!!8216;Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling!!!8217;

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It!!!8217;s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads !!!8211; the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 11
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 10th Feb 18, 4:25 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 17,025 Thanks
    nic2075
    Afternoon. It's a bit dreich here today. I should be doing more decluttering, but I've been enjoying doing very little and reading my book.

I've been to view the house I was offered. It's tiny and I'm just not feeling the love. It's a nice enough house, with a new kitchen and all freshly painted white. It would save me over £250 a month. But the kids don't want to leave their schools and friends. I have til Monday 10am to decide, so they can offer it to the next on the list. I just love where I am, but I applied for the housing association as I was left with a house I struggle to afford. So it seems silly to refuse. But I'm loving the space, the views, the 2 bathrooms, big back garden and the nice feeling I get walking in here. I think for the sake of money I would end up depressed in a tiny house with 1 bathroom and a view of someone else's back garden. I look out into the country here. I've been having panic attacks just working it all out.

I've been trying to do more positive things, just for me,to keep me feeling ok. I've been swimming, shopping, cut my hair short and dyed it back to dark red. Maybe I'm having a midlife crisis lol.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 18, 5:38 PM
    • 6,864 Posts
    • 48,586 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Nic2075 is ther anything you can do that's not HA related to ease the finances on your current house? You do sound like you love where you are, as do the kids. The outdoor space is important for the kids too I think if they enjoy it.

Soooo....i wemt back and bought the fluffy polar bear hats for the girls too, seeing my mum on Wednesday so will ask a second opinion. Also bought a lovely little vintage style cream woolen hat with little flowers on it for another DN. It was tucked under everything else at the bottom of a pile and didn't look much until I unearthed it. It's really sweet and I think it will really suit her.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 11th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 12,959 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    had a lovely afternoon yesterday with faveCoz her ddil and my dgn who is just beautiful, he is smiley and chuckley and bloomin plumptious. (not that l am fond of babies, you understand?).
    Half term already, another year flying in! will be starting my seeds off this week, always on valentines day, family tradition.
    New passport arrived this week, so onward with china visit in August.
    There is a new baby girl on the road, too, friends DD2 had her on Monday morning, cure as a button, but see above, of course l wont be doting honorary auntie. The knitting needles are ready to catch fire.
    l feel great now that l am back in the fold, lovely to 'see' you all and catch up, while l am waiting to skype the nibs.
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 11th Feb 18, 9:20 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 12,959 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Cute as a button, l meant. this keyboard cant spell.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 11th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 11,766 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    kerri oh no about the wallpaper! This is what puts me off trying to do it myself, Iím sure Iíd make a mess of it. It must have been a bit awkward for you too. I hope you can get it all sorted quickly. As you say best to put it down to experience and try to put it behind you!

nic oh thatís so hard about the house, you do get a feeling from a house and the outdoor space makes so much difference. Sometimes money isnít everything if youíre unhappy. I know you applied to the HA but surely you donít have to accept this particular house, they may be able to find you others?

mrsinvisible you make me laugh with the babies. I can certainly see why people keep having them!
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 12th Feb 18, 10:44 AM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 27,123 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    We have snow again. Bored of winter now. Roll on spring

Four shifts to do at work (Tuesday, weds, Friday, Sunday,) then off for a week hurrah. Last week off was October seems like so long ago

Hope everyone is doing ok. Nothing really to report here. Birthdays and mother's Day approaching so will have to think about them soon
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 12th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 42,592 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Congrats PK on your hubby's job

Oh your workbook sounds great FREE and really helpful, keep taking it one page at a time.

So sorry to hear about your room KERRI we have made the same mistake before, well meaning friend who didnt quite understand his own limitations, we learnt not to tell him when we were thinking of getting something done in the end as he just broke so many things! worst being out guttering on our roof which he pulled apart and then didn't tell us so we had a leak for months

Oh NIC, if the house doesn't feel right I always think its best to turn it down even if it is cheaper, you spend hours and hours in your home and its very depressing to be somewhere you don't want to be There will be other houses come along at some point. We stretched for this house after being in one of the most depressing houses, in the most depressing street i've ever seen (It actually took me over 4 years to be able to drive down the street again after we moved as it affected me so much) and I seriously would not leave my current house for anything. Its not a fancy house by any means, but it 'feels' like home and is full of good memories that keep me going I do firmly believe that buying/moving to a new house is one of the most important things you will ever do as the way you feel when you walk in your front door affects ever other aspect of your life. (hmm got all heavy there didnt I! sorry about that! was meant to be all uplifting and positive )

I'm still plodding away at the ESA form I have literally done one question Had the brainwave to do my continuations of each question on the computer so I can save it and change it as I think of things to add in. It's just so darned exhausting plus had to ring them up as due to all the debarcle with DH's PIP they had also stopped my extra money as we are both disabled and PIP had not bothered to tell ESA when I rang and sorted it out, sighhhhh.

Anyway, no christmassy news from me im afraid, I shall now try and do question number 2 on my form
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25 Wins of 2018 £59
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 15,827 Thanks
    Peppapig
    JAKESMUM what you said about houses and homes is so true and you said it so well. NIC whatever decision you make I hope you'll be happy in your home.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 12th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 12,959 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    DS2s PIP home visit assessment tomorrow, l appreciate that they are being considerate of his inability to travel to the assessment centre, but he is actually shaking with worry. Not Fair!! They say they will be there between 11 am and 1 pm. I have told him l will be there by 10am, it is so arbitrary, his sister has the same disability and was awarded pip without a face to face at all. Jakes Mum l really empathise with you.
    l am also helping another lady with her appeal and waiting for my own, so l feel 'right pip-pped off'.
    Got to cuddle the new baby girl today, her nanna brought her over, she is adora-bubble. really cheered me up.
    DGS1 is on half term, has got me to make a hamper up of valentiney things for his GF and got his mum to sign his card so that she wont know who it is from...... aaaah sweet.
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 12th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 42,592 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Ahh MrsI, good luck to your DS2 for tomorrow, thats great you can be there too, DH and I always sit in on each others and we have no hesitation about interrupting and chucking in any information we think the other has forgotten or is not explaining properly. One thing I always got told to remember by my benefits advice man (who fills my PIP forms in) is that the people reading my forms and asking me questions are in no way trained in my illness so I have to explain every single bit of it in a very clear way. Can I walk less than 50 mtrs? why not? give an example, what does it do, how do I feel after trying to do this, how long does the after effects of trying last? is it cumulative? so the more I do the worse I feel and for longer?

I really hope you get a decent questioner for him who will be honest in her report about his problems

Am now on question 5 of 18 on my ESA form
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25 Wins of 2018 £59
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 13th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 2,740 Posts
    • 17,025 Thanks
    nic2075
    Thanks for the advice on the house. I had made the decision yesterday before coming on to read. I had decided this wasn't the house I wanted to live in. Others will come along. I'll just wait and see what happens.
    jakes mum, you have hit the nail on the head about how a house feels. I have always moved about. Every 2 years, I have moved for the last 25 yrs. but for the last 5 years I have been in this house. I have such good memories here and it makes me smile just looking out the lounge window. Sounds silly, but I love colour of the wood of the doors ,skirting and door jambs etc. It's a beautiful warm oak. I often just stand and touch the door jamb. The kids think I'm odd. But it comforts me to just touch it.
    The kids are happier too. My DS wanted to move, because he doesn't really get on at school. He thinks a new school would sort it. But to be honest he just doesn't tolerate anyone. My girls were so relieved when I said I turned it down. Those smiles alone made me realise it was the right decision at the moment.

This snow can just do one now. I got up at 6:30am, looked out and it was rain fin and the road etc was black. My sister text me at 6:50am to warm to watch the road coming over to drop the kids off. I checked outside and 2 inches had fallen in that short time! It was a scary drive to hers. I did about 30mph the whole 8 miles. I had a queue behind me. But the road was white the whole way, and it was -1, it didn't feel any safer to go any faster.
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 16th Feb 18, 2:13 PM
    • 865 Posts
    • 11,766 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    jakeís-mum I hope you manage to get through the ESA form ok, it sounds like a nightmare! Although I find government backed things generally are!

mrsinvisible I hope all went well with the PIP assessment, I just canít believe have inconsistent it all is. Your DGS sounds adorable!

nic Iím glad you came to that decision as it just sounded like you wouldnít be happy at all. A house is your home and it has to feel like it, it obviously was not the right one for you. I love warm oak, I think itís because it brings me closer to nature somehow, I love being in the great outdoors!
    • Clumsy42
    • By Clumsy42 16th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Clumsy42
    Hello everyone, it's been a while. Several weeks in fact!

Thank you for all the birthday wishes (in late January lol).

Update on the cardiology front: Doctor thinks there is nothing wrong with my heart apart from deconditioning from having ME for 15 years. He is sending me for an MRI though just to make sure it isn't something else (that would be v. rare apparently). I'm somewhat annoyed by all this as I can't just start exercising to re-condition my heart - the main symptom of ME is post exertional malaise so I'd get quite ill. And to top that off he sent a letter to the GP saying I don't need to see him anymore. So how am I meant to re-condition my heart by myself? Just guess and join a gym? Rant over!

Got some Christmas cards for 25p in Tesco. They really are cheap this time of year.

We currently have workmen in turning the separate loo/bathroom into one bigger bathroom. It is taking ages and the dirt gets everywhere (especially brick dust! ). Thankfully my grandparents let me go round to their house and borrow their shower.

Hope those going through the re-assessment phase of their benefits get the result they need. It can be so soul destroying.

Oh before I go - has anyone had an MRI before? Especially a heart one? I'm very nervous about it. Think I might discover I'm claustrophobic!
    ďIn 900 years of time and space, Iíve never met anyone who wasnít importantĒ
    - Eleventh Doctor
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 16th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 15,448 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly

Oh before I go - has anyone had an MRI before? Especially a heart one? I'm very nervous about it. Think I might discover I'm claustrophobic!
    Originally posted by Clumsy42
    Stupid doctor I've had an MRI. It is quite confined, but you are in control, they realise that it is claustrophobic so you are told to let them know if you are unhappy. It is surprisingly loud, so that actually acts as a distraction, which will help you. A word of advice, take anything metallic off before you go there, you will have to strip & wear a hospital gown for it, so it will save having to leave everything in the locker.

Hope it will be clear for you.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years !!!128521;
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 16th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 35,455 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening Everyone, I hope everyone is well, I have put some more money into my Christmas pot this month plus I sold all my cds to Mus*cMagpie and made £33 to put into my treat pot, was really chuffed with that, they were only sitting gathering dust and I was going to charity shop them anyway, but because there were so many it all added up quite nicely.

NIC I'm so glad you feel you made the right decision, being happy is much more important for your health. Your house sounds wonderful

PRINCESSKITTY aww bless the boys they really have been through it lately haven't they? I hope they are both feeling better now and you can get back to your dates. Good news about DH new job

JAKESMUM I hope you have got much further in your form filling

MRSINVISIBLE I hope DS face to face interview went ok and didn't distress him too much, I would be exactly the same if I had to be put through it, but why couldn't they have just done what they did with your DD?? Ridiculous isn't it??

MURIE your wreath sounds lovely I cant believe you are still finding Christmas bargains My DD1 really wants to go to Rome to see the Coliseum she will be very jealous

CLUMSY I know it must be scary being discharged but couldn't you ask advice from your GP about what to do next? I have never had an MRI I don't think I could cope with it tbh but I read the other day that there are ones now where you sit in a chair probably private hospitals and not nhs I expect

KERRIGT oh gawd what a nightmare with the wallpaper, make sure they all have the same code on the new rolls to the old rolls as there can be shading differences sometimes even if you buy from the same shop

STOKIEBECKS we have had a light dusting and that's it the whole winter, the kids are dying for some, needless to say I'm not

CURRENTLY READING HERE COME THE GIRLS - MILLY JOHNSON
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2018 £
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2018 - £500.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 17th Feb 18, 11:16 AM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 42,592 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Oh Clumsy, a wave from a fellow ME'er, some doctors don't get us at all My sister was also diagnosed with ME 26 yrs ago, last year she finally got told they were wrong and she actually has AS I am now getting ready for a rheumy appointment to see if mine is the same (as its not really something that shows up on xrays or blood tests, you have to have an MRI).

I have had an MRI before and I kept my eyes closed from the moment I lay down till the moment I could sit up again. Getting there quickly is right about the noise, its also quite cold in there so if you feel the cold do tell them (as they told me afterwards they could have given me a blanket for my legs at least I also have raynauds so I reaaaally feel the cold!

I am now on question 12 of 18 of the dreaded form Please someone remind me to make a copy of my answers for the next form! everytime I say I will and every time I forget making the renewal 100 times harder, nothing ever changes, wish I could just write 'please see last renewal form, nothings changed!'
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 18th Feb 18, 6:49 PM
    • 4,456 Posts
    • 27,123 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Work done and now off for a week! Hurrah. So ready for this. Last week off was in October.

Hope everyone is doing ok. Hugs to anyone who needs.
    • Treasurequeen
    • By Treasurequeen 18th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 311 Posts
    • 3,370 Thanks
    Treasurequeen
    Clumsy hello from another ME sufferer Iíve got to do exercise for my other health conditions but the doctors donít get that it upsets the ME. Iíve started tai chi classes sat down which help with the reconditioning. Also chair exercises are best when first starting out as it puts less strain on the body. For me I do resistance bands sat down and a sit down bike whilst watching tv. For me I only do this 2-3 times a week for 20mins each time. I thought the doctors were mad suggesting I do 30mins every day. Do not join a gym try do exercise at home first as it puts less stress on body. I was told start small and work up but Iíll never be able to run or do strenuous exercises.

I had an mri a few years ago and I fell asleep even though Iím slightly claustrophobic. They played some music that and the rhythm of the machine sent me to sleep. The team thought I had fainted as I was quite, apparently in 15 years of the mans work I was the only one to fall asleep on him. I took some Bach rescue Remedy beforehand to calm me down as I was a nervous wreck.

Free I suffer from severe anxiety and depression so I know how hard it is to live with. Have you tried mindfulness? My therapist thinks it will help me but Iím not convinced. The workbook sounds good.

Not much Christmassy going on here,
    The £1000 emergency fund challenge #223
    Pay for birthdays and Christmas 2018 with surveys #17
    2018 Frugal Living Challenge #44
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2018~ 11 #40
    £2 saver club
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 20th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 12,959 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Thanks everyone for your kind wishes for DS!. The lady who came was nice, said she had read his form, appreciated all the additional info we had given, and that she just had to clarify some bits. Only stayed half an hour, and as she left she said that although she couldn't promise that DGS would not have to undergo another assessment, her recommendation would be that he didn't. Fingers crossed!
    DSIL and big Bro have got their new pup, a zhushon (shitzhu and bichon frise cross.) Awww she is so lovely, just right for them. Wish l could do photos, you'd love her.
    Front bedroom is becoming a plant nursery again, all the seeds are sown, or ready to sow, propagators are popping at the seams!
    Today we have sunshine so l may get washing out and line dried, but now l am off to make spicey parsnip soup, yum.
    • murie
    • By murie 20th Feb 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 9,413 Thanks
    murie
    Mrs I- so glad it went well (well as 'well' as it could have gone).

Depression is such a common illness, that touches pretty much everyone at some point in their lives it seems. It saddens me to think that so many suffer from it quietly and that the consequences are so diverse and' individual' that its impossible to predict how or when they will affect the sufferer xx. Inadequate hugs to all those on here that suffer xxx

I have had the flu this week, valentines Day was cancelled and those that follow me on IG will have seen that DD and I went into Birmingham on Thursday for an afternoon tea and a matinee performance of the Sleeping Beauty. It was a really lovely day but I honestly don't know how I got through it looking back, we left more of the afternoon tea than we ate and I went to bed as soon as I got home and have pretty much stayed there since. Today is the first day I am up, and Im not sure how long that will be for. I have made some chicken soup for DS as he has flu too- apparently it has 'proven' medicinal qualities that ensure a speedy recovery. Im not sure about that I think he may have watched a tad too many American programmes when he was a kid.

Mrs I- I cant wait to sow some seeds now that sun is shining, but that will have to wait til I feel more 'with it.' I also
    want to order some more giant lilies as the my bulbs were destroyed by the dreaded lilly beetle last year. As soon as the sun starts to shine the green fingers start to itch don't they? DH told me this morning that apparently we are due snow and cold weather at the weekend- blooming great-NOT!
    lovin' this site!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

2,017Users online

Martin's Twitter