Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    • 1,215Posts
    • 13,023Thanks
    3forholidays
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 17, 7:08 PM
    * Rocking around the Christmas Tree * - It's the 2018 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 17 at 7:08 PM
    !!!8216;Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    At the Christmas party hop
    Mistletoe hung where you can see
    Every couple tries to stop

Rockin' around the Christmas tree
    Let the Christmas spirit ring
    Later we'll have some pumpkin pie
    And we'll do some caroling!!!8217;

Hello and welcome to the 7th Christmas Chatter Thread.

It!!!8217;s hard to believe that another year has gone and we are almost at the big event that we have spent so long planning and preparing for! But this thread is about so much more than Christmas but about the whole year with all the ups and downs, as well as the bits in between.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.
    This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads !!!8211; the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2018!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    jakes-mum 19th
    Girl in a Yellow Dress 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 31-12-2017 at 2:55 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
Page 10
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 2nd Feb 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,550 Posts
    • 15,440 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Hello there! Sorry I have been mia, not had a a great week. Last Thursday girl I worked with died, she moved away when we were all made redundant, but a lot of us have kept in touch via FB. As we all lost our jobs more than 10 years ago, it kind of shocked me how close we all were when we worked together and how her death has affected us all.

Then yesterday, someone else I know died suddenly. Not many knew that he was being treated for leukaemia, saw him 10 days ago and he was in really good form, said he was getting a little stronger. Less than 48 hours later he was kept in by the hospital as he had an infection (he was bored in hospital so was going in every day for chemo and home again in the evening). Needless to say he was not a happy bunny at being kept in. Yesterday morning he had a bleed and they couldn't save him. He was only 31. Sorry for off loading, but needed to get it off my chest.

Picked up a couple of bits for the families in Wilko sale but nothing else for Christmas.

Out for family dinner in Covent Garden tomorrow for my brother's birthday so something nice to look forward to.
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years !!!128521;
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 3rd Feb 18, 9:54 AM
    • 4,455 Posts
    • 27,118 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    Sorry to hear you are having a bad week so far Gettingtherequickly and thoughts are with you. It is never nice to have news like that.

Hope you can enjoy your lunch out though
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 3rd Feb 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 15,827 Thanks
    Peppapig
    GTQ that's very sad. I think when people who have meant something to us move away they don't impact on our daily lives so much but they're still part of our lives so when something like this happens the pain is still there. My best friend died 10 years ago this year and I still miss her even though she'd moved to Greece and I only saw her once or twice a year. Losing your friend with leukaemia so suddenly when he seemed to be doing well must have been a shock especially coming so close to your other friend, I know how it feels because my Dad died the night of my best friend's funeral. Be kind to yourself and allow yourself to feel whatever you feel, there are no right and wrong reactions.

Welcome to the thread XIRONSONGX we're a bit quiet at the moment but we can be a lively bunch

GYD you sound positive and I like your plan, you're a determined lady and I bet this Christmas will be lovely.

FREE the book sounds thought provoking, I'll be interested to see what you make of it too. Another thoughtful action from DS.

MRSINVISIBLE hope you're ok and just busy and that everything is fine chez invis.

Nothing festive here, a bit of crafting (some more successful than others) and lots of financial organising so I'm feeling very much in control at the moment. Bedroom is finished and I love how it feels all calm and tranquil. Just need the rain to stop now, I'm hoping Feb will be drier and a bit brighter than January.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • jakes-mum
    • By jakes-mum 3rd Feb 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 42,591 Thanks
    jakes-mum
    Good morning everyone

So sorry for your losses GTQ

Glad to hear those that were ill are on the mend, re the flu/cold conversation, DH had his MOT with the doc a couple of weeks ago, Doc read his notes and went 'you've had Pneumonia 5 TIMES!?!?' seems people tend to only get it once or twice if they are unlucky. DH suffered a collapsed lung on his first bout of pneumonia and has been rediculously suseptable to it ever since. Each time he sneezes we're all on high alert Everytime he gets a cold, it turns into something much worse, chest infections are the best outcome in this house for him

Well I think the gods are upset with me at the minute! Less than 2 weeks before christmas, DH's PIP form hit the mat with christmas day as the return by date! Week later, mine hits the mat with a return date of 29th Dec! Ring DWP and point out that no-one including them work over the christmas period that can help me with the forms, get them extended to the 8th and 12th of january. Benefits advice people don't return till the 5th and come out that day, fill them in and send them off for us.

Get a letter on the 24th Jan saying DH's PIP has been stopped as they didnt get his form till the 17th ring them up, first bloke veeeeery unhelpful and says its now a whole new claim and we have to wait 16 weeks for DH to be reassessed. DH now in a blind panic (has anxiety and depression so this just sent him over the edge) I re ring and speak to a much more helpful person who listens to what happened and said 'but why didnt they give you 4 weeks, we can do that with permission from a senior member of staff at this time of year . .', puts me through to reconsiderations who has a look and reinstates the claim as there was absolutely nothing we could do to get it there any quicker (as a side note, mine arrived on the 11th! they were sent at the same time from the same place!'

I then think, yeah! finally through it and my blumin ESA renewal form has just landed on the mat today The PIP forms have wiped me out so doing the ESA one is filling me with dread, if they send DH's on monday I swear I will curl up in a ball and cry

Well i'm off to read a book I think or maybe try and start my sons blanket (not sure im up to that though). Stay warm everyone, its still a bit cold out there!
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) 0/£1000
    Total Wins Of 2012 = £3015.03 Wins Of 2013 = £4427.11 Wins of 2014 = £2361.97 Wins of 2015 = £1754.90 Wins of 2016 £267.98 Wins of 2017 £25 Wins of 2018 £59
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 3rd Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 15,827 Thanks
    Peppapig
    JAKESMUM that sounds like a nightmare. I get stressed enough with DH's PIP form (not the filling it in but all the associated aggravation). I don't think I could cope if I had another claim and ESA to think about.
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 3rd Feb 18, 9:47 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 13,023 Thanks
    3forholidays
    jakes-mum I was in a similar position at the end of 2016 as the form came in with a deadline of the end of December and the earliest appointment that I could obtain with the Citizens Advice was in January. I managed to get an extension but I think that they should give you 6 or 8 weeks to complete the form as standard because you lose a week waiting on the form coming in the post.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £520
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 4th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Hi all! Sometimes I get so far behind on this thread that it puts me off coming back on as I canít catch up, then I tell myself I donít need to catch up and itís ok just to come on and say hi! Squeak has had back to back heavy colds in January which kept us very occupied day and night! We did manage to have a lovely week in Center Parcs in January though and we were so lucky with the weather. One big thing in January is that we applied for Wiggleís school place in September, I literally cannot believe it! It only feels like yesterday that I announced his birth to you all and now weíre applying for his school place! Heís an August baby so will be one of the youngest, it seems funny to think that if heíd been born a month later Iíd have him at home for another year. Iíve also booked their Christening in April so Iíve got to get organised for that. I really want to get organised now as I always end up leaving things last minute then getting stressed!

One of the first mums that I met when I moved here a couple of years ago who went on to become a good friend is emigrating to Australia today so Iím a bit sad. Sheís going because her husband is Australian and has lived here for over 10 years so they planned to move there before their eldest daughter (and Wiggleís friend) starts school. Her husbandís parents are much older than hers so they wanted them to spend some time with their grandchildren. The plan was to move back here when the oldest starts secondary school but I have a sneaky feeling that wonít happen, Iím sure itís a lovely quality of life over there.

Anyway I hope youíre all doing well, sorry if Iíve missed any big news. xx
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 4th Feb 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 15,827 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Lovely to see you PK, I don't worry when you don't come on here because I know how busy life can be with two little ones but it's good to see you when you do. It's amazing how quickly the years go by, I still think of Wiggle as being a bubby. Enjoy every day, before you know it Squeak will be off to school too.
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 5th Feb 18, 12:42 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    LMG1305
    GTQ - sorry to hear your sad news.

I've been on and off here over the last few weeks, reading but not had much to update so stayed quiet

I've carried on trying to be as productive as possible I've sorted loads of things out around the house, chucked so much out & freed up storage for other things that were really just getting in the way because they had no real home. I have also done a bit of ebaying, which has been a mixture of success & not so successful. The worst thing about selling stuff on ebay though is getting it all to the post office, I hate it!

I bought some perfumes the other day that were 70% off, so have put them away now. I did buy them to give to my sisters for Christmas, but actually think I'll give them for birthdays & just get something for Christmas closer to the time.

We are going away for the weekend at the end of this month, I am so looking forward to it
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 6th Feb 18, 1:49 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Peppa oh I know, as tough as it is now they will both be at school soon and Iíll miss it Iím sure! How do people get through their children starting school? Iím already getting really emotional about Wiggle! Because all the play groups stop in the school holidays I realised that Iíve only got until the end of June then I wonít take Wiggle to any play groups anymore! I canít believe it.

LMG oh I know what you mean about getting ebay stuff to the post office! I really like ebaying when I sell stuff, but the whole process about uploading photos and typing up descriptions and packaging and posting is so time consuming, especially if something doesnít go for very much. Iíve got a big bag of stuff in my spare room waiting to be ebayed! Iíll get around to it one day Iím sureÖ Oooh where are you going away to?

GTQ I had a look back and Iím so sorry to hear what has happened to two people you know, how awful for them and for you. These things are never easy especially when theyíre so young. It doesnít matter if you havenít seen someone for a long time it is still a shock and very upsetting. An old school friend of DHís who he hadnít seen for years died a couple of years ago and it really knocked DH. Sending lots of big hugs to you. xx

Brrr itís cold today! Iíve had a fairly productive morning; dropped Wiggle off at pre-school, got some shopping, came home and sorted out some of Squeakís room, tidied the kitchen, made some mango puree (weíre on the weaning journey), made lunch and got DH to hang some pictures in Squeakís room. Squeak has just gone down for a nap so Iím having a cup of coffee, a sit down and a catch up!
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 6th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 48,554 Thanks
    kerri gt
    GTQ so sorry to hear your sad news, life can be very harsh sometimes but I try and think that those no longer with us would want us to take their passing as a reason to try and make the most of every day (gosh that sounds like some awfully cheesy motivational poster..sorry ) People don't need to be physically close for them to still be a part of your life. My best friend has emigrated to Oz several times and when she got married out there a few years ago I told OH we were going as I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Speaking of which PK with facetime / skype and all the other things, Oz isn't as far as it used to be. Perhaps you can arrange some silly things like both going for coffee and video calling each other while you drink them

Big hugs to all those who are having tying times too. It's a funny time of the year - I always think once all the festivities die down people can feel a little empty and with all this 'new year resolution' stuff its like we're under pressure to suddenly make life changing decisions to affirm our being.

I found a lovely little image inline that said 'New Year, Same Me, because I think I am fine just the way I am ...and so are you'
    Every time I see it, it makes me smile.

Well not so much happening on the Xmas front now - I packed all my prezzies away for next year- though did get a couple of items for my SIL which might become this years...and what I had got her for this year might become next years...is that really ahead

I did get two Spiderman backpacks in L!dl today for two little boys - they're about the same age, DN and a friends little boy. They've got an embossed Spiderman on the front which I thought looked quite good and they would like and I thought they'd be useful for things like nursery. I had a look at others online and they all seemed more expensive and not necessarily as nice so for £4.99 I though they were a good buy.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 7th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 12,950 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Hello there! l finally remembered what this years thread was called, and how to subscribe!! feels like l have been in limbo. Havent read through yet but glad to be back with all my cyberests.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 7th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,175 Posts
    • 15,827 Thanks
    Peppapig
    Welcome home MRSINVISIBLE, you've been missed!
    • LMG1305
    • By LMG1305 7th Feb 18, 2:16 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 991 Thanks
    LMG1305
    PK - I actually don't mind listing & photographing the stuff. I restrict myself to putting no more than 10 on at any time so I take all the photos then just sit watching some TV while I list everything. But the post office trips are the bane of my life! Especially when everyone pays at different days

We are going to Amsterdam, I am really looking forward to it as I've never been before but my OH has. Kids grow up so quickly don't they! It doesn't seem long ago you were pregnant with Wiggle & now you have 2 and one of them is going to big school!! I like kerri's idea of facetiming your friend occasionally for a coffee break or something similar, just for a catch up & to keep in touch.

Kerri - I saw that New Year quote too & loved it when I saw it.

Hi MrsI, hope you manage to catch up soon. We do chat a lot don't we!!

I've had a crazy busy time of it in work lately but things are starting to settle down a bit now. It's been one drama after another and as the only senior manager that reports directly to the Directors, I am involved in everything in one way or another. Glad to finally have things getting back to an even keel though & looking forward to a few big changes that are happening this year.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 7th Feb 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,587 Posts
    • 35,454 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Evening everyone, where does the time go??? Its already 6 days since I was last on here!!! The biggest surprise so far from the workbook is I have Agoraphobia, as well as Panic Disorder, Social Phobia and Specific Phobia, it really has made me think and some bad memories have come up from my childhood which has rocked me, will just keep at it, a few pages at a time.

GIRLINAYELLOWDRESS ooh I didn't know there were apps as well will look into that

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY oh honey that is very sad and when it is a shock it makes it so much worse. My BF moved away to Devon a long time ago and although contact has got less since her husband retired I still regard us as close friends. Hope your meal at Covent Garden was lovely

PEPPAPIG that must have been terrible for you to cope with two close loved ones deaths so close together. Glad you are really pleased with the bedroom, calm and tranquil sound idyllic

JAKESMUM these forms bring so much heartache to people, it really is so wrong

PRINCESSKITTY nice to see you on here, they grow up so fast make the most of them, I really miss mine being toddlers

LMG I really really need to declutter the whole house too. I loved Amsterdam when we went there, hope you have a great time

CURRENTLY READING CHRISTMAS PROMISES AT THE LITTLE WEDDING SHOP -
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2018 £
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2018 - £350.00
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 8th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    Morning all! Iím just sitting in bed having a cuppa whilst DH has the boys downstairs, heís going out tonight before bathtime and bedtime so I think Iím allowed! The big news here is that DH got a new job yesterday. I donít think Iíve been on here to say that DH works for a company that contracts him out to other companies, his contract with an employer ended in October and he has been Ďon the benchí since then. Itís been lovely to have him at home with us and weíre very lucky to have had that time but he was starting to get restless since the new year and definitely needed a sense of direction so itís great news he got this new contract yesterday. Heíll still be working from home which is fantastic for work/life balance as no long commute.

I suppose I should get up soon as some friends and I are supposed to be going out to let our children run wild but Iíve got a bit of a cold which is making me feel a little bit lazy!

kerri you are completely right, the world is a much smaller place these days. Love the Skype/Face Time idea! I love that quote about the New Year, so true.

LMG Oh I know, time really does fly! Yes thatís the difficulty with the parcels isnít it, when everyone pays at different times. I know some sellers have specific days they post parcels and clearly put it in the description. Ah Amsterdam is good, itís lovely by the canals. And a trip to the Anne Frank museum is a must Ė fascinating!

Freespirit I have missed what workbook you are doing but it sounds as though it is going to be helpful to you. Itís always tough going through the whatís and whys, especially from childhood, but I do hope that when you come out the other side it has done you some good.
    • murie
    • By murie 8th Feb 18, 4:42 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 9,404 Thanks
    murie
    Afternoon. glad to see Mrs I and PK back and posting!
    Ive read along (mostly) but on my phone as I don't have much to say at mo so didn't intend to post anything.
    Today I have bought a Christmas door wreath form Matalan for £5, I was intending to put some copper wire lights in it but when I got it home I realised that it already has lights in it! I have been looking for a new wreath as mine is looking a bit tatty so I am over the moon with this one.

This weather is not nice, although yesterday when I went to the park with The Hound I noticed that the snowdrops are in flower and the crocus are poking their heads up. That cheered me up cus its a gentle reminder that Spring (and the warmer weather) is just around the corner.
    Hugs to poorlies x
    lovin' this site!
    • murie
    • By murie 8th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 9,404 Thanks
    murie
    GTQ- so sorry to hear your sad news x

Jakes-mum I hope you are feeling less stressed and haven't had any more horrible post.

Free- you are making great progress by simply identifying issues xx

PK- they don't stay babies long do they? I miss my two being small.

LMG- I would like to visit Amsterdam. The kids are part paying for me to go to Rome for my birthday present. I am so excited to visit Vatican City for some reason.

GYD- it seems there is an App for everything these days! How did we survive without them?!
    lovin' this site!
    • princesskitty29
    • By princesskitty29 9th Feb 18, 7:11 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 11,758 Thanks
    princesskitty29
    murie great find with the wreath!

Well today DH and I were supposed to be going on a long overdue lunch date but unfortunately we had to collect Wiggle from pre-school and take him to the doctors, turns out heís got impetigo. We were having a lunch date as Squeak keeps waking up in the evening but then the other one scuppered our plans! This was part of my í12 Dates of Christmasí for DH, I bought him a voucher for our favourite restaurant so hopefully weíll be able to use it soon. We still havenít done Januaryís date which is a movie night as Squeak was poorly for most of January, I knew I was being a bit ambitious with this present! Wiggle is still very much himself though thankfully heís just got some spots on his face.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 48,554 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Afternoon all, just sitting down with a cuppa before attacking the housework.

PKsorry to hear your plans were scuppered, hope you get to use the voucher soon. At least it isn't anything more serious with Wiggle. Great news about DH new job.

Free sounds like the workbook is proving really useful, if you know what things you want to personally address, that's half the battle. I won't call them 'issues' because that would sugggest its tings that fixing, we're all just different people and sometimes I think it's society that try's to insist we should all act / do the same things that is the problem, we're not all round pegs for round holes.

We've had a bit of a decorating disaster, unfortunately a friend attempting stuff that he wasn't really up to doing, so now instead of putting the room back together this weekend as planned, I've been making calls to get people to come and quote to fix things. The most annoying thing is that the paper that is now ruined was very expensive...and I now need to rebuy it trying not to dwell on that too much but a total pita and an expensive lesson learned.

On other news, I picked up a couple of hats for DN x2 in the Accessorize sale today, for next Xmas, but they were very sweet (little penguins) and will go with something. They did have some kind of white furry animal hats too which I'm wondering if the girls would have liked instead. It's a bit of a case of adult taste (penguin being a bit more tasteful) vs child taste (furry thing being more fun)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,558Users online

Martin's Twitter