Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KanalVictor
    • By KanalVictor 24th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    KanalVictor
    fake from amazon. Is resistance futile?
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:45 AM
    fake from amazon. Is resistance futile? 24th Dec 17 at 11:45 AM
    Ordered a few items from amazon last week including a new TV remote. Noticing that the no-name imitation replacements at 10 quid looked plasticky and not at all like the heavy model with smooth rubbery buttons that came with the TV 5 years ago, I decided to order a 30 quid one.

This is what I mailed to Amazon about it late on Fri night.

>>>>>>>>>>
    the remote control sent [advertised as original product from panasonic] appears to be a fake. It is advertised as genuine.

It is lighter than the original one and has buttons with sharper edges, generally feels lower quality. Clearly different. What is the procedure for dealing with this?

My preference is that trading standards are involved.

Advertised as:

by Panasonic

"Original Panasonic Genuine Handset

Manufacturers Part Number:N2QAYB000487

Fits Many Panasonic Models

Requires 2X AA Batteries

Colour: Black "

But Sold by:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Same vendor offers something for 8 pounds more which says:

...www2. ...
    " 100% genuine remote control supplied by manufacturer
    Includes two 121AV AAA Zinc Chloride Batteries "

Perhaps the lack of a 100% genuine description on the first one is supposed to communicate that its a fake? I assume that is not acceptable [or legal]?
    <<<<<<

The standard auto reply says 6 hour response time but 30 hours later nothing is forthcoming. Are they closed till the 3rd Jan or just the 27th Dec?

I assume the seller [and AMAZON] are fully aware that they are shipping fakes and will refund if requested maybe forcing an argument about paying return postage. I will if necessary ask for a visa debit chargeback anyway if they refuse the refund in full with postage.

I would prefer that the sellers are prevented from continuing to practice their trade on others in this way.

Obviously the 3 possible complaint routes are:
    1. trading standards. Question: at the sellers council or Amazon's or mine or can I choose?
    2. ASA complaint.
    3. Ask Panasonic to get involved since the claim is it's from them.

The bigger QUESTION for which I come here for answers:
    Is resistance and protest futile?
    [My preparedness to invest time is limited. My annoyance is less limited.]
Page 2
    • custardy
    • By custardy 26th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 32,859 Posts
    • 27,618 Thanks
    custardy
    Hmm just realised the reason for some of the reactions here are that some posters are perhaps Amazon sellers.
    Always forget how the world changes.

LOL. Anyone want to fess up?
    Originally posted by KanalVictor
    Credibility gone......
    • meer53
    • By meer53 26th Dec 17, 9:03 PM
    • 9,041 Posts
    • 13,136 Thanks
    meer53
    £30 for a remote ?
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 27th Dec 17, 1:16 AM
    • 132 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Diamandis
    This is one of the best threads I have read in ages.

Have you considered calling 999?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 27th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 6,089 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I've had fake power supplies for laptops from amazon marked as genuine.

I contacted the seller to resolve and recived a genuine, and I also left review to that effect after the new one was received.

Have you contacted the seller?
    Jan 18 grocery challenge £105.13/ £150
    • KanalVictor
    • By KanalVictor 29th Dec 17, 10:57 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KanalVictor
    Thanks to those who posted. My initial reaction to the first replies here is why is everyone so strongly denying there is a possibility an amazon seller sold a fake?

Anyway, I never said it IS a fake, just that it IS different and APPEARS to be fake. A possible logical explanation for the denial would be that people posting are sellers. As described by one poster later, could also be that many buyers wish to believe they are never buying fakes when they pay 40-60% of retail prices. I was just surprised at the reactions and looking for an explanation.

As far as being foolish for disagreeing with posters who have 1000's of post. Have not yet got off the floor laughing at that one but it's not the first time I've heard the hilarious suggestion. Do you ask your doctor how many forum posts they have before they operate on you? It's true many high-post-count folk on MSE have been very helpful on the debt boards etc but as on most forums high post count is definitely not a measure of wisdom or sensibleness or even sanity.

The idea you should take the sum of comments and draw conclusion from it is also IMO false [but interesting that so many think that]. The 2017 version of some psycholology research about behaviour of crowds and/or peer pressure?

Finally my previous comment:
    Having lived in another EU country where people complain complain complain until the gov and companies fix stuff, my ongoing feeling about lots of things here is that broken britain is an accurate monniker.

This did [and does not] suggest UK is broken because folk are allowed to sell fake remotes. But more generally that the UK is broken because folk do not bother to pursue anything sufficiently aggressively or to it's conclusion. And/or they are [allow themselves to be] thwarted by the authorities. And yes all that that contributes to slum-style-fire-dangerous housing, the universal credit rollout-disaster and the like.

My OP was a question whether there's any point to make effort to put right the wrong of selling a product which appears fake. No-one answered that except somone who said trading standards don't deal with consumers. This is not true, they have processed a complaint from me in the last year.

The answer was mostly we don't believe it's fake.

With respect to the remote. There are 5 or 6 remotes from the same seller which all have the same product code are all described as genuine and have prices ranging from 10 to 60. Perhaps they are the versions sold in different countries but assuming they are not identical this is at best unhelpful both from Panasonic and the seller.

My conclusion on the remote is 1. I won't be using Amazon again, 2. I'm not going to have a new remote the same as the one I like unless I happen upon a used one in a charity shop, 3. I still haven't decided whether I can be bothered to contact Panasonic about this [which probably means I won't].

Whether I can be bothered to continue making an effort complaining about other more important parts of the broken UK system or join the apathetic masses and conclude it IS futile, I havn't decided yet. Probably easier to re-emigrate.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 29th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 32,859 Posts
    • 27,618 Thanks
    custardy
    Probably easier to re-emigrate.
    I agree. I usually do the same with a minor consumer issue.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 29th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 5,685 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    £30 for a remote ?
    Originally posted by meer53
    My fancy super dooper harmony remote cost just over £100 although thinking of it, that is probably just under £30 in wifey* pounds

*I believe wifey pounds have a similar exchange rate to hubby pounds when handbags are being purchased
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • KanalVictor
    • By KanalVictor 29th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KanalVictor
    My fancy super dooper harmony remote cost just over £100 although thinking of it, that is probably just under £30 in wifey* pounds

*I believe wifey pounds have a similar exchange rate to hubby pounds when handbags are being purchased
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Well that grabbed my interest.
    The shitty may-or-may-not-be-panasonic one is on its way back.

So which one is it and why would I like the 300 quid one
    https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-universal-remotes

I have always found Logitech to be good quality so that's a good start. Am using their stuff to type now.
    The950 has the look of an old Nokia mobile .. the classic one before M$ ruined it.

[30 quid for something you use daily for 5 years is bout tuppence a day. Being rich I reckon can afford 20p a day . ]
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 29th Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Well that grabbed my interest.
    The shitty may-or-may-not-be-panasonic one is on its way back.

So which one is it and why would I like the 300 quid one
    https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/harmony-universal-remotes

I have always found Logitech to be good quality so that's a good start. Am using their stuff to type now.
    The950 has the look of an old Nokia mobile .. the classic one before M$ ruined it.

[30 quid for something you use daily for 5 years is bout tuppence a day. Being rich I reckon can afford 20p a day . ]
    And it's currently only £205 ......... on Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514579384&sr=8-1&keywords=Logitech+harmony+elite
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 29th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 3,353 Posts
    • 5,685 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    I got the hub and elite remote control when they were on sale.

It’s a cracking bit of kit, I have it set up to include all my kit including tv, dvd, roku, etc etc and if the remote is just toooooo far away I can control them all by voice through my echo or via my mobile.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 29th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 3,947 Thanks
    George Michael
    Anyway, I never said it IS a fake, just that it IS different and APPEARS to be fake..
    What are the first 3 words from the title of this thread?

"fake from Amazon."
    To me, that's about as clear as it could be about stating that you received a fake.

Then there is this comment:
    I assume the seller [and AMAZON] are fully aware that they are shipping fakes
    Again, a clear cut statement, "they are shipping fakes"
    • KanalVictor
    • By KanalVictor 30th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KanalVictor
    How would an innocent snowflake know whether it was eeeerrrm genuine or eeeerrrm otherwise though?
    • KanalVictor
    • By KanalVictor 30th Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KanalVictor
    What are the first 3 words from the title of this thread?

"fake from Amazon."
    To me, that's about as clear as it could be about stating that you received a fake.

Then there is this comment:

Again, a clear cut statement, "they are shipping fakes"
    Originally posted by George Michael
    The title is a headline which is not a complete gramatically correct sentence and clearly qualified in the post.

People who comment on headlines without reading the detail are ......... [I'll let you complete the sentence]

The second sentence clearly contradicts other parts of the same post. Well done, I wrote something contradictory on a forum. Where's the spanked botty emoji? But since it's a complete chunk of text that more clearly states I think it APPEARS to be fake, I suspect it would fail to be proven in court that I have stated it IS fake, I haven't.

Are you one of the folk for whom the cartoon was written entitled:
    "I'm just coming to bed dear, I'm just correcting something someone wrote on the net"

xx [clearly half cut to be replying to this ]
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 30th Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    How would an innocent snowflake know whether it was eeeerrrm genuine or eeeerrrm otherwise though?
    I've got a house full of "big brand" names bought from Amazon - HP, Dyson, Bosch, Kenwood, Samsung, Panasonic, Nikon, Sony. All genuine, all working. I

You don't even know if your remote is a fake, and seem to have done little to ascertain whether it is of not.

Don't trust Amazon? Then don't shop with them.

I'll go back to listening to the (very genuine) vinyl copy of The Stone Roses Amazon delivered earlier today.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 31st Dec 17, 1:44 PM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    A "very genuine" "copy" - now there's a thought.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 31st Dec 17, 2:04 PM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    A "very genuine" "copy" - now there's a thought.
    Originally posted by oldagetraveller
    That would be "copy" as defined as: "a single specimen of a particular book, record, or other publication or issue:
    "the record has sold more than a million copies""
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 31st Dec 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 3,341 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    The OP has form for tilting at windmills in his spat with Ovo when he couldn't be bothered reading his meter
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 31st Dec 17, 3:55 PM
    • 9,679 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The OP has form for tilting at windmills in his spat with Ovo when he couldn't be bothered reading his meter
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu

Maybe he was worried that Ovo wouldn't believe that his meter reading was genuine.
    • KanalVictor
    • By KanalVictor 10th Jan 18, 12:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KanalVictor
    I know it's complex, but try reading the Ovo thread more carefully if you want to comment. The complaint was the way an estimation was calculated and not the fact it was an estimate. It is ongoing and will likely go to court so I will not publish full details yet.

Here's a hint: Your energy company cannot bill you whatever they want if no-one [you OR THEY] reads the meters, they have to do something reasonable.

The ombudsman response included the following conclusion [detail replaced with ...:]

"Following our investigation of your complaint, our decision is that OVO Energy should:

• rebill your energy account from ...... reapportioning the usage to reflect a more realistic estimate for winter consumption;
    • credit your energy account with £ ..... as a gesture of goodwill; and
    • send you a letter of apology."

Note that Ovos justification for the behaviour described that way by the ombudsman was that 5-6000 customers have had the same treatment.

I am also talking to ofgem and will pursue that and other means to try to get corrections / return of money overcharged for other customers. Nothing in that for me but maybe more valuable than adding to post count on MSE? Wonderful the support I'm getting from folk here as I do it.

Your description of all that as "tilting at windmills" reinforces the points I made above about post counts.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 3,156 Posts
    • 2,258 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Perhaps a better option is to contact Samsung.
    Originally posted by eddddy

Perhaps not - as the issue is with a Panasonic (or maybe not) device
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,166Posts Today

9,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin