PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pipkin71 wrote: »
    I've just looked through the Ken Hom book I bought and will be making the spicy stir fried mushrooms today, as we have those ingredients in stock. The only changes are: reducing the salt, as per suki's comments. It asks for a teaspoon but as there is soy sauce in the ingredients, I will miss it out. It also lists two teaspoons of sugar, which I will also leave out as sugar can make me ill :)

The sugar I always leave or halve as it's the balance of sweet/sour that is needed in Chinese cooking

I never cut the white pepper down when asked for because that really adds to the ooomph

With the salt issue, do taste as you go along. Some dishes may need it to enhance a bland vegetable. I'd hate you to make something and not like it because I said I find his dishes to be very salty :eek:

We tend to prefer the really pungent dished like beef in black bean sauce and braised pork belly and there really is a lot of salt in those so no need to add. Lighter dishes may need it
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    The sugar I always leave or halve as it's the balance of sweet/sour that is needed in Chinese cooking

I never cut the white pepper down when asked for because that really adds to the ooomph

With the salt issue, do taste as you go along. Some dishes may need it to enhance a bland vegetable. I'd hate you to make something and not like it because I said I find his dishes to be very salty :eek:

We tend to prefer the really pungent dished like beef in black bean sauce and braised pork belly and there really is a lot of salt in those so no need to add. Lighter dishes may need it

Thanks suki. Will let you know how it tastes :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I made Nigel Slater’s Ribollita tonight, having seen it mentioned earlier. I tweaked it a bit, flageolet instead of canellini beans, a squirt of tomato pur!e, some vegetable stock. It was delicious. I bet it’s even better tomorrow lunchtime. No 5 and 4/5 have been great.
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    The spicy stir fry mushrooms, were lovely :) I did miss out both the salt and the sugar and it was fine, so definitely one I will make again :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    My mother gave us some stilton cheese so i found a recipe in my huge file where I stuff things I like the look of.

Stilton, pasta, spinach, cherry tomatoes, leeks and craime fraiche with a hint of mustard.

Was delicious and will definitely be using again!

My gousto delivery box should arrive some time today so that will be another 4 recipes to try.

Will post results.

Think I will make this the last delivery for a while though and redo some of the recipes we really liked.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My mother gave us some stilton cheese so i found a recipe in my huge file where I stuff things I like the look of.

Stilton, pasta, spinach, cherry tomatoes, leeks and craime fraiche with a hint of mustard.

Was delicious and will definitely be using again!

My gousto delivery box should arrive some time today so that will be another 4 recipes to try.

Will post results.

Think I will make this the last delivery for a while though and redo some of the recipes we really liked.
    That sounds just the sort of dish I like - may be pinching that when I finally open the pot of stilton, thanks:)

I've still not managed to go through any cook books but I was noodling online for ideas to use up lurking bits in the fridge so tonight I'm making this https://thecookreport.co.uk/tomato-halloumi-bake/ (albeit scaled down) which I'll have with greek pitta bread:)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    caronc I love halloumi havent had it for years ...might have a go at that too

omelette Arnold Bennett was an 8/10 but mostly because of my white sauce which despite me having successfully made thousands before was lumpy. I did half the recipe so that may be the reason. Tasted lovely though and will defo do again

Back to tried and tested for a couple of days now to use some fridge stuff up
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    caronc I love halloumi havent had it for years ...might have a go at that too

I usually have it either fried or marinated with harissa on skewers with red onion and aubergine but thought this sounded like a nice change I'll report back. Shame about the sauce:(, I always get on better making bigger rather than smaller amounts. I tend to make a batch and freeze the surplus in single portions.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    That sounds just the sort of dish I like - may be pinching that when I finally open the pot of stilton, thanks:)

I've still not managed to go through any cook books but I was noodling online for ideas to use up lurking bits in the fridge so tonight I'm making this https://thecookreport.co.uk/tomato-halloumi-bake/ (albeit scaled down) which I'll have with greek pitta bread:)

Thanks for posting this! Always looking for new ways to use up the courgettes I grow on the allotment. Have pinned it and will maybe even buy some courgettes before the season starts to have a go ;)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • CommitedToChange
    Options
    Hi

I've been reading this thread so thought I'd join in, I've loved reading about what you've all made and I want to cook more new recipes and I'm also going to cook every recipe from one book over the year - Nigel Slater's Real Food.

This week I've made Hughs chicken with plums and soy sauce 9/10

A baked Camembert with puff pastry pancetta twists - the twists were wonderful and easy, but my cheese didn't melt. I'll guess I'll just have to try again :)

Today I'm making slow cooked lamb shoulder with griddled veg from economy gastronomy -though I'm cooking it for much longer than in the book so it hopefully falls apart. Leftovers to be made as per their book into a shepards pie, plus some to stuff in a wrap with hummus and pomegranate seeds.

I've also got a sourdough starter on the go and I'm going to attempt my first loaf tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure