Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    • 12,364Posts
    • 37,922Thanks
    Nelski
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:26 AM
    The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018 24th Dec 17 at 10:26 AM
    Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet...................no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun
Page 15
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 12th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    donnajt
    Hi Mrs Cheshire, I didn't make the paprika pork last week as mum was rushed into hospital (she is terminally ill), but I promise to feedback/post recipe when i cook it later this week x

DD (17) has been doing most of the cooking since mid week, she made an incredible slimming world lasagne last night, so grateful that i taught her to cook from a very young age, don't know how I would manage without her
    Slinkies 3st by summer (loss to date 10.5lbs)
    FlyMarketeers £1k by summer (sealed tin)
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 12th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Afternoon all.
    If we get our act together today, we will be cooking this Gino veggie dish
    www.ginodacampo.com/recipe/venetian-style-pasta-shells-stuffed-with-courgettes-sage/
    The only herb we don't have is sage & our local SM didn't have it either.
    Hopefully will still be ok....

Hope all have a good rest of the day today.
    SIL x
    Originally posted by ScotinLondon
    So we did this dish on Saturday, had the leftovers on Sunday and now i have had the last vestiges of it today for lunch at work.

Definitely a keeper...but next time think we will incorporate garlic & chilli powder/flakes into it too. Didn't miss the sage either.

That is now two new dishes that DH likes, that we will be incorporating into our meals.

Have had the veggie version of this dish:
    https://food52.com/recipes/19840-belgian-chicken-waterzooi
    So think that this one may be the next one to try...we have most of the ingredients in apart from the heavy cream...

Have a good rest of the day all.

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79/£130
    CCC - no clothes buying 2018
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 10/28 F18
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 12th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Hi Mrs Cheshire, I didn't make the paprika pork last week as mum was rushed into hospital (she is terminally ill), but I promise to feedback/post recipe when i cook it later this week x

DD (17) has been doing most of the cooking since mid week, she made an incredible slimming world lasagne last night, so grateful that i taught her to cook from a very young age, don't know how I would manage without her
    Originally posted by donnajt

Sorry to hear about your mum, hope shes comfortable and you get some quality time together

I try to always keep some dried mushrooms in stock, last batch were on a good offer from Grapevine, for risotto and soups I snip some into small pieces and soak in just boiled water for as long as I can, e.g. overnight or perhaps only 1/2 hour. I add the bits to fresh mushrooms etc at the end of the sauteing time, strain the liquid through a tea strainer and add it at the liquid stage, gives a great depth of flavour even from just a small amount. I love risotto, but OH will only eat it occasionally, however I make a Remoska recipe called Mushroom rice which involves adding all the liquid at once and he seems to love it (strange creatures these OHs )
    Originally posted by maddiemay
    I looked for dried mushrooms in Mr T today, couldn't see them but I know they stock them as I checked online when I got home. Will see if I end up getting any, as I'd really like to have 2 nsd's until main shop on Thursday. Will check out Waitr*se on Thursday and if they are a good price will get some to keep in the house.
    SPC #148 2014-£25 2015-£5.50 My stars from Sue-UU

Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan £400.33/£400 Feb £313.09/£400
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Feb 18, 10:11 PM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 20,875 Thanks
    caronc
    Sorry to hear about your mum, hope shes comfortable and you get some quality time together

I looked for dried mushrooms in Mr T today, couldn't see them but I know they stock them as I checked online when I got home. Will see if I end up getting any, as I'd really like to have 2 nsd's until main shop on Thursday. Will check out Waitr*se on Thursday and if they are a good price will get some to keep in the house.
    Originally posted by Mrs Cheshire
    If you can't find dried mushrooms a little mushroom ketchup works wonders i boosting the flavour https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251225471
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £63/£120
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 13th Feb 18, 7:39 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    donnajt
    Paprika Pork - back on the menu lol, watch this space
    • olgemama
    • By olgemama 13th Feb 18, 10:50 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    olgemama
    Jamie Olivers Unbelievable Provencal Bake was amazing! Big thumbs up all round. Will be adding that to the repertoire, took quite a while to make, but definitely worth it.

As last night was Meat Free Monday we had Halloumi and roasted vegetable wraps with harissa dressing, never served it before but will be again, really nice, and 13 yo made it by himself

Next new meal to try is a Hungarian beef goulash, next weekend.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 12,364 Posts
    • 37,922 Thanks
    Nelski
    Jamie Olivers Unbelievable Provencal Bake was amazing! Big thumbs up all round. Will be adding that to the repertoire, took quite a while to make, but definitely worth it.

As last night was Meat Free Monday we had Halloumi and roasted vegetable wraps with harissa dressing, never served it before but will be again, really nice, and 13 yo made it by himself

Originally posted by olgemama
    wow that looks amazing ...and well done on master olgemama for his lovely sounding meal sounds like you have a budding Jamie there

I have been out for a couple of meals this week so no cooking but tomorrow I will be doing something new with liver which i havent eaten since I was knee high to a grasshopper when it was more like a weapon of torture when my mother cooked it ....white tubes anyone??? lol hoping for something more tasty this time keep your fingers crossed for me
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 13th Feb 18, 5:52 PM
    • 12,364 Posts
    • 37,922 Thanks
    Nelski
    watching.... that sounds really nice ...I do a paprika chicken which is lush so looking forward to a pork dish

Hope all is as good as it can be with your mum donnajt
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Feb 18, 7:59 PM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 20,875 Thanks
    caronc
    wow that looks amazing ...and well done on master olgemama for his lovely sounding meal sounds like you have a budding Jamie there

I have been out for a couple of meals this week so no cooking but tomorrow I will be doing something new with liver which i havent eaten since I was knee high to a grasshopper when it was more like a weapon of torture when my mother cooked it ....white tubes anyone??? lol hoping for something more tasty this time keep your fingers crossed for me
    Originally posted by Nelski
    I love liver these days as long as it's not cooked to death - I can still remember the grey, chewy shoe leather from school dinners.....

olegamama - the pancakes sound fab
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 13th Feb 18, 9:16 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    If you can't find dried mushrooms a little mushroom ketchup works wonders i boosting the flavour https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251225471
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thank you, will look out for it when I next do a shop.
    The Mushroom risotto is planned for tomorrow, but I'm not shopping till Thursday, so will add a white wine stock cube this time to add flavour.

watching

Grocery Challenge 2018
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 13th Feb 18, 9:22 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire

Originally posted by olgemama
    Will check out the recipe and add to March, the wraps sound good too!

Grocery Challenge 2018
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 13th Feb 18, 9:46 PM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    donnajt
    Mrs Cheshire & Nelski (thank you for kind message re mum)

The paprika pork was a pig hit, I did add some chilli flakes and a bit of cornflour to thicken up sauce but such a quick easy tasty dish

https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/paprika-pork.aspx
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 14th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 12,364 Posts
    • 37,922 Thanks
    Nelski
    Its liver day today I am going to try this one as I usually love the hairy bikers stuff

liver and bacon
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 14th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    Mrs Cheshire & Nelski (thank you for kind message re mum)

The paprika pork was a pig hit, I did add some chilli flakes and a bit of cornflour to thicken up sauce but such a quick easy tasty dish

https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/paprika-pork.aspx
    Do you think it would work with smoked paprika as I only have that in?

Loving all the recipe suggestions, really looking forward to trying some of them in March.
    I've planned stuffed chicken for tomorrow, but can't decide what to stuff it with. I've done soft cheese in the past and wrapped in bacon, we've had pesto in them too but quite fancy something a bit different. Any ideas?

Grocery Challenge 2018
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 15th Feb 18, 1:15 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    donnajt
    Do you think it would work with smoked paprika as I only have that in?

Loving all the recipe suggestions, really looking forward to trying some of them in March.
    I've planned stuffed chicken for tomorrow, but can't decide what to stuff it with. I've done soft cheese in the past and wrapped in bacon, we've had pesto in them too but quite fancy something a bit different. Any ideas?
    Yes def I used smoke paprika (my fav)
    • donnajt
    • By donnajt 15th Feb 18, 1:25 AM
    • 1,054 Posts
    • 9,747 Thanks
    donnajt
    So same SW Recipe Book, made this one, used Red Wine Stockpot instead of wine, lots of black pepper and a generous shake of dried chilli flakes

Chicken Chasseur
    8 chicken thighs (bone, skin and fat removed) I used 3x breasts as only me and OH eating
    2 onions (thinly sliced)
    Tin chopped tomatoes
    125ml red wine (serves 4, 1 syn per serving, I used red wine stockpot)
    4oz buttom mushrooms (I used mushrooms sliced)
    1/2 pint chicken stock
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    1 tsp dried tarragon (had to use fennel as no tarragon)
    salt and pepper
    low calorie spray oil
    1 tbsp cornflour (serves 4, 1 syn per serving)

Spray a large frying pan or pot that has a lid with spray oil and cook onions for 4 mins

Add the chicken, Cook the chicken for 5 minutes until browned

Add red wine (or stockpot/water) and mushrooms for about 3 mins

Finally add the stock, tomato puree, dried tarragon and season with salt and pepper.

Bring to the boil, put lid on pan and simmer over a low heat for 35 minutes

If sauce is too thin, add water to the cornflour, mix smooth then stir into chasseur

Serves 4
    • ScotinLondon
    • By ScotinLondon 15th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    ScotinLondon
    Once again, if we get our act together - the pilau will be this weekend.
    Again, we have most of the ingredients in, so not a lot of new things to buy.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/23/pilau-rice-beetroot-cauliflower-christmas-recipe-coriander-chutney-vegan-meera-sodha

Have a good rest of the day all.

SILx
    D17/J18 £75.27; J/F18 £64.79/£130
    CCC - no clothes buying 2018
    Lunch2work 14/20 J18; 10/19 F18
    GNSD 18/31 J18; 10/28 F18
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 15th Feb 18, 1:35 PM
    • 12,364 Posts
    • 37,922 Thanks
    Nelski
    Just a quick report back on my Liver and bacon in onion gravy. it was a hairy biker recipe and the only change I made was to add a couple more bacon rashers

10/10 from me Easy to make and quick to cook. This will become one of my staples and at 99p for the liver makes it very good value. I am now officially over my liver phobia
    • caronc
    • By caronc 15th Feb 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,127 Posts
    • 20,875 Thanks
    caronc
    Glad you enjoyed your liver & bacon, it's lovely when it's not cooked to death!
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • Mrs Cheshire
    • By Mrs Cheshire 15th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 7,762 Thanks
    Mrs Cheshire
    ended up chucking bbq sauce on the chicken and topping with cheese.
    I've got a leftover chicken breast and a sweet potato in the fridge which I'll probably have tomorrow or saturday. Planning on making curry tomorrow.

Grocery Challenge 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter