Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • urg123
    • By urg123 24th Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    • 1,987Posts
    • 9,519Thanks
    urg123
    URG's Sorting the Future Diary
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    URG's Sorting the Future Diary 24th Dec 17 at 10:08 AM
    I find myself drawn to MSE at this time of year and I came back today to see that it's my 10 year anniversary of joining this site. My last diary started (and ended) when I had my baby who is now four!

So, the last 10 years have been a roller coaster for me. I have had some amazing things happen - got married, had a baby (now 4 years old), moved to my forever house, got a good job, been on some great holidays.

But I had a really tough time too - i have lost both my parents and both of my grandmothers. The loss of my parents was devastating and took a long time to deal with. It's affected so much of my life and created some real challenges in my relationships with other members of my family. Things are so much better now.

I am approaching my big 4-0 and feel positive - my thirties haven't been my best and I am looking forward to saying goodbye to them.

One thing that isn't in control is my finances. I am not in a bad place financially but I don't have control. To be fair this is not new and I have always struggled with this. It is even harder because my husband is not very interested and finds the finances side of things difficult. If we are not careful we will find ourselves going backwards rather than going forwards.

There are other things that need taking control of - my weight, my health and fitness, the clutter in the house and the garage.

I feel like now is a good time to get moving and create a plan to get on top of things. I hope that this diary and those who read it will keep me in order as I go through my journey.

Today is really about getting the house in order for the next few days. My DS isn't too well today so I do need to get some extra medication for me as we are running low and I don't want to run out over Christmas! I've posted on the small things page so I have a plan for the day.

I'll be back soon to add my plans and goals.
Page 1
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,914 Posts
    • 16,913 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    Good luck with your debt busting
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £36.76/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • BettyBoof
    • By BettyBoof 24th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 1,509 Thanks
    BettyBoof
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 10:42 AM
    I'm sorry about the loss of your parents, such a difficult thing to try and deal with.

Good luck with your diary!
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 24th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 14,993 Posts
    • 48,645 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    Urg! SO lovely to see you

so sorry about your parents, it is very hard so sending love XXX

Hope I see you around on some of challenge threads XXXXX
    Penny a day Challenge, Frugal living challenge, £1 a day challenge, VSP challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge.
    • urg123
    • By urg123 28th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    urg123
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    • 28th Dec 17, 9:01 AM
    Hello all,

Thanks for popping in to say hi!

Hope Christmas was okay for you all.

My DS has been unwell for the whole period which has been hard to manage and difficult to get much else done. Luckily we had a routine appt with GP booked in yesterday and she prescribed antibiotics. I felt so bad as I have assumed it is viral and wouldn't have got anything if we did take him for an emergency appt!

The 'room of doom' has been cleared up for guests arriving today. I need to keep on top of it - it took me hours and I have too much crap that really needs to be dealt with.

Today we have over 15 people over for dinner. Thankfully DH is doing all the cooking. I am going to try and get some ironing done as the ironing pile is really a mountain that is getting very close to my 5'1 height!!!!

My list for the next couple of days:
    • Ironing
      Make beds in spare room
      Quick final hoover and mop
      Put away laundry
      Put away laundry rack
      Back up phone due to changeover of contract
      Switch info from old to new phone
      Send off tax return once final queries have been resolved
      Spend some time reviewing my goals
      Review finances and come up with a list of financial goals

Buffy had a really good list on her diary of what she plans to do and I hope she won't mind if I use it!

Better go and get to that ironing pile! Wish me luck!

urg x x
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 28th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 14,940 Posts
    • 98,466 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    • 28th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 3:52 PM
    So sorry to hear of your losses urg x

Hope 2018 allows you to reach those goals.

Im willing the ironing down, as im allergic im sorry i cant help.

Hope the wee one recovers soon.

Enjoy your houseful!

Xoxo
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/1725.27
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40 Total 22/12 4025.27 PAID OFF £1730.13 1/3/18 Total £37025.27 £2030.13 paid off
    :
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 28th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 4,986 Thanks
    redofromstart
    • 28th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    • 28th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    Happy new diary, and good luck with your plans.
    • urg123
    • By urg123 2nd Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    urg123
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    • 2nd Jan 18, 9:48 PM
    Happy New Year to you all!

Well - not quite sure if it is yet. It looks like the timing of the diary is very apt. Today was my first day back at work and found out that change is afoot. It's not the first time I've heard this but this seemed to be more concrete than previous years. There's alot of political cr*p where I work and I think it seems to have finally come to a head. I don't know what it means for me but it does mean that I need to make sure I am ready whatever the fallout.

So plans need to be made and budgets need to be reviewed. I have been reading the YNAB book and starting to talk to DH about being better with our budgets and really start looking at what we need to do to feel more secure about whatever the future throws at us.

Over the last few years, life has chucked lots at me and I have come out the other side. I've learned not to keep waiting for stuff to happen and to get on with living. I'm ever the optimist and often find that things have a way of working themselves out.

So over the next couple of weeks I will:
    - set a new budget with DH
    - clarify what we need in order to manage should the worst happen
    - plan my 40th frugally with my close friends and family
    - start working on my 40 things to do in my Forties. Some are really silly and some are dreams that I really would like to achieve.
    - look at ways I can be more emotionally resilient to weather this storm!

This week I will:
    - submit DS's school choices (can't believe he is going to big school!)
    - submit tax return (waiting for one final piece of info!)
    - get to the bottom of the dreaded ironing pile (there is floor under there!)
    - back up old mobile phone and then reset to factory settings
    - send off said mobile for £££ - last time I checked it was worth £120
    - take in lunches and snacks for work
    - update the 2018 calendar - I have been very slow!!!

I have a lovely treat coming up this weekend - theatre tix for Harry Potter. It's a joint Christmas and Birthday treat and I am really, really looking forward to it!

Some of my aims this year are to go to bed earlier, read more and meditate so I will sign back in soon and update!

urg x x
    • Pippilongstocking
    • By Pippilongstocking 3rd Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 14,940 Posts
    • 98,466 Thanks
    Pippilongstocking
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    Hope all goes well at work and good luck with those budgets.

I'm 50 this year so doing similar plans with frugal interludes - so I wish you luck with those.

As to DS being at school soon, oh my.

Have a great week URG - you're always striving to try your hardest, I totally admire that.
    Overdraft 1 £1000/£0, Overdraft 2 £1000/£0, Credit Card 1 £1044.93/£0, Credit Card 2 £2710.57/1725.27
    Total Debt as of 6/8/2017 £5755.40 eek: total debt 24/9 £4060 PAID off £1695.40 Total 22/12 4025.27 PAID OFF £1730.13 1/3/18 Total £37025.27 £2030.13 paid off
    :
    • urg123
    • By urg123 3rd Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    urg123
    Hope all goes well at work and good luck with those budgets.

I'm 50 this year so doing similar plans with frugal interludes - so I wish you luck with those.

As to DS being at school soon, oh my.

Have a great week URG - you're always striving to try your hardest, I totally admire that.
    Originally posted by Pippilongstocking
    Thank you Pippi!!! That was such a nice thing to come on here and read!

Today was a quiet day at work. Even though I want to try and get out walking at lunch time - the winds today weren't the sort you wanted to be walking in, so I used the time wisely and got the School application done as well as the tax return. I even paid my bill this evening.

My phone has just been backed up and I will decide which company I will sell my old phone to. Although, I may delay as I don't seem to be having much luck making calls from my new phone. Will call company for tech support tomorrow before I send off.

I have some returns to finalise too - two amaz*on items and three pairs of jeans. Once these are all in I will have about £170 returned to the CC!

I took in lunch and snacks today, and even took in my own coffee today saving about £6-7 on what I would often end up spending at work per day. We had a load of cheese biscuits left from the end of last year so we have decided to bring in a bit of cheese etc and have a sociable lunch tomorrow. Will need to pop in to supermarket tomorrow but will limit my spending!

I was pretty shattered this evening so no ironing achieved and the pile continues to grow - DH is out tomorrow so I've no excuse as I can get a box set on and power through after DS is settled and asleep.

I've been reading the YNAB book and it seems to make sense to me. I'm thinking about trying out the service. I did buy the old version but getting DH to buy in has always been challenging. He seems to be more on board now! Anyone use the YNAB tool and how have you found it?

Right better go and get some sleep. Apparently slim people get far more sleep than I do so need to work on this too!

urg x x
    • urg123
    • By urg123 9th Jan 18, 12:12 AM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 9,519 Thanks
    urg123
    What a busy weekend! It was wonderful but we are really shattered now.

There is also a bug going round and I have been struggling! It's there but won't progress into what it is going to be.

My list from last week
    - submit DS's school choices (can't believe he is going to big school!)
    - submit tax return (waiting for one final piece of info!)
    - get to the bottom of the dreaded ironing pile (there is floor under there!)
    - back up old mobile phone and then reset to factory settings
    - send off said mobile for £££ - last time I checked it was worth £120
    - take in lunches and snacks for work
    - update the 2018 calendar - I have been very slow!!

My no/low spending at work continues - I had a working lunch and a a tea meeting with a colleague this afternoon and he kindly paid. I will have to make my own arrangements for lunch at work but I do have a stock of noodles that I bought for 50p each! I'll take in some fruit and other bits from home to pad it out.

I did stop into the Health food shop to stock up on some supplements I need and were a good deal in their penny sale, I also transferred money for DS football classes!

I found a two month offer to try out YNAB - I've spent quite a long time getting the information on the system and it is a different way of looking at things so the next few weeks will be challenging as I am close to the end of funds (an indulgent holiday period and long gaps between pay days) and would normally resort to spending on on the CC. The next couple of months will be challenging - especially as i need get DH on board. He's started to realise that we really do need to plan for the future or we will continue on this cycle.

My list for this week:
    - return final items (worth nearly £70)
    - return library books (overdue - on DS's card so luckily no charges!)
    - get to the bottom of the ironing pile
    - catch up on the laundry backlog
    - collect parcel from post office
    - meal plan for the rest of the week
    - catch up with paperwork and make a finance action list of things that I need to do (i.e. review accounts to make money work harder).

I better try and get some sleep.

urg x x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,459Posts Today

9,114Users online

Martin's Twitter