Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 23rd Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    • 942Posts
    • 3,043Thanks
    I Love comps
    Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018
    • 23rd Dec 17, 6:58 AM
    Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018 23rd Dec 17 at 6:58 AM
    I have decided to see how much I can actually save myself by trying to buy as much as possible in 2018, which is yellow stickered or reduced and keep a tally of the savings. Just to see how much I will save ;

I will start this on January 1st 2018
    Please join in if you would like to.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 23rd Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    • 23rd Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    • 23rd Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    I have been thinking along the same lines myself, so yes, would like to join in.

I've made a couple of good savings recently by looking for discount codes before buying, and will continue doing this.
    • eandjsmum
    • By eandjsmum 23rd Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 4,507 Thanks
    eandjsmum
    • 23rd Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    • 23rd Dec 17, 12:14 PM
    I do buy YS when I can however i don't keep a tally of the savings so perhaps I should try this.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 23rd Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    • 15,435 Posts
    • 129,742 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 23rd Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    • 23rd Dec 17, 7:57 PM
    I am happy to join in I will be checking out the Twinings tree bags as I have a 50p off voucher to use up, plus I always keep a good look out for Y/S stuff Veg especially as it can be turned into a decent filling soup for lunches for pennies
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • mrsnicewriting
    • By mrsnicewriting 24th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    mrsnicewriting
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    Would love to join in too please, already YS active, but actual savings would be interesting. Although to be fair some of the YS of late I would never buy at the full price!
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 24th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 11,262 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 24th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    Although to be fair some of the YS of late I would never buy at the full price!
    Originally posted by mrsnicewriting
    This is my problem so I am not sure if if YS items are a saving for me, more of an additional cost

Good luck to every one in your challenge I am not taking part but will follow you all for inspiration.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 24th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 4,353 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 24th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    • 24th Dec 17, 1:26 PM
    Also worth remembering that YS isn't always a saving. Annoys me no end when stuff that is 3 for a tenner gets marked individually YS as reduced to £3.49
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 24th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    t14cy t
    • 24th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    • 24th Dec 17, 2:10 PM
    I'm in too please!! just got a trolley of ys goodies from morrisons.....enough for fridge/freezer/ us/ the dogs/ the chickens and ducks! paid £18!! happy days. xx
    • JIL
    • By JIL 3rd Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 19,179 Thanks
    JIL
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 3rd Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    I'm not sure if there are genuine savings, often i buy things because they are reduced, for example tonight I went into m and s. I bought some profiteroles, wouldn't have bought them but reduced to 30p so I did. There were some fresh apple tarts 40p. Some prawn lollipop things 25p. Sausage rolls 20p. Macaroni cheese with leeks 45p. Potatoes for jackets 2 for 30p. Stuffed mushrooms 35p. Tomatoes and spring onions 45p and 20p. I won't waste anything but I wouldn't have paid full price so I'm not sure if I have saved anything.
    If I hadn't bought them i would have made macaroni cheese with bits already in the house. Husband will have sausage rolls in his packed lunch, but if I hadn't bought them he would have had a cheese sandwich. We ate the profiteroles watching TV tonight, but it would have been better for our waistline if we hadn't!

Do others get sucked in by prices being so low or do you only buy things to replace things you would have bought anyway?
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 4th Jan 18, 2:23 AM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    JIL,

I only ever buy ys if it is on my list OR if it is on my menu planner for the next two weeks.

Mrs SD
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 4th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 11,143 Posts
    • 155,253 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    This year (and from now on hopefully) I'm only going to buy YS items IF they fit into the menu plan. I've been a bit of a yellow sticker addict and have realised that I'm like a squirrel gathering everything in because it's reduced and buying in things that are not getting used before the viable date leading to an element of unnecessary waste of money. YS isn't what it was in our local supermarkets though and the prices are still sometimes higher than I'd consider paying full price. The exception that I would pre-purchase is meat and fish which I can freeze and then work into a meal plan later on.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 4th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 2,374 Posts
    • 11,129 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I base my shopping around YS items. I try not to buy processed food if I can but sometimes if I am shopping tired I can get roped in to non YS items like wine and crisps!
    I have a good freezer so I try to stick to high quality protein items. I love organic turkey and it is hard to get turkey outside of Christmas so I try and stock up. This year I bought various turkey breasts/whole turkeys for an average of £55 each and I paid an average of £5 each. I try and only look at YS with at least 70% off and I only use Waitr0se and MnS as the quality is high and the shelf life seems longer.

I have another year of restricted budget whilst I do my house repairs so I am likely to shop this way for another year.

To keep my dignity I never take more than one of something before offering it to the person next to me. I never grab and if someone looks like their need is greater I let them have it instead
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/December 2017=2,510
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 4th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 656 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    t14cy t
    planning a ys shop on Monday evening as ive been wading through the mountain of goodies in the freezer since Christmas eve!! I'm hoping for two clear freezer shelves, heres hoping!!
    • Techno
    • By Techno 4th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 621 Thanks
    Techno
    To keep my dignity I never take more than one of something before offering it to the person next to me. I never grab and if someone looks like their need is greater I let them have it instead
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    I think there should be etiquette rules for YS shopping such as doing itanyway abides by so many people park their trolley right across the shelves and then proceed to scoop everything they can into it and then give you such a dirty look when you politely shift their trolley out of the way so that you can get to the one thing you want No trollies should be allowed next to the shelf - all should be parked out of the way so people can only take what they can carry as Miss Piggy used to say, 'I never eat more than I can lift'
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 4th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello all,

'I love comps' I think this is an interesting challenge and I'd like to try it, as my circumstances require a lot of belt tightening now.

I am setting myself some rules so I don't buy for the sake of it :

No processed/ready meals.
    Is it really cheaper?
    Going for protein, especially lean.
    Avoid anything naughty! (High in fat/sugar)
    Don't forget the reduced in the fresh fruit and veg aisles, and others - not just chiller!
    For goodness sake do a meal plan....

Looking forward to trying this - will focus on the supermarkets nearest (Mr T, Mr S)

Onwards and upwards....: )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 4th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 6,843 Thanks
    Ilona
    I live on mainly YS food and save lots of money. I don't meal plan I buy and eat whatever is cheap, except meat, fish, and processed ready meals. Mr T is my nearest, I went just before Christmas and got £63 worth of food for £7.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 4th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,376 Thanks
    robpw2
    I love ys food i get to try things i wouldnt normally buy especially when its 10p

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • t14cy t
    • By t14cy t 5th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    t14cy t
    went into Tesco today with a coupon for a free krispy Kreme donut, £1 off covent garden soup x2, so spent 34p on my shopping today!!
    • Irenadler
    • By Irenadler 6th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Irenadler
    Hello all

Probably won't get to update this often - maybe weekly?

Did buy a lamb shank - was £4.95, reduced to £3.22, so only £1.73 saved. Bit extravagant at that price. However, this must have been a 'first reduction' as it was a morning visit.

Anyone got tips on best times for a Mr T's or Mr S, as they are my closest supermarkets? Might also be able to get to a Mr M's soon....

Thanks for any advice! : )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 6th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 6,843 Thanks
    Ilona
    My best time at Mr T is just before 7pm, when they put the third and last sticker on. They start just after lunch with the first sticker, and 3pm for the 2nd sticker. I take a chance by going late, sometimes there isn't much left, other times there is loads. Meat I think is discounted early because it has to be sold asap. I don't buy meat.

You need to visit your chosen supermarket at different times, watch what the staff do, ask them when the yellow sticker trolley will come out. Each store has it's own system. Some will leave the items on the shelf so it's spot the stickers in every department. Some will put them all in one place so no hunting. Some will wheel them out from the back on a trolley, then it's grab what you want. It's all quite civilized at my store, a few people know the system. No pushing and shoving.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,493Posts Today

10,176Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin