Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 22nd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 124Posts
    • 347Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start 22nd Dec 17 at 3:48 PM
    I’ve decided to edit this after a mess up of the figures…. To cut a long story short I’ve been here before, paid off a lot, lived happily ever after, split with the ex, fell ill, and got myself in a pickle again. So here I am, new username, new diary, new dreams. Upfront warning, I over post

I'm a thirty something (cough) single-ish-ton who is determined that I won't hit 35 in debt. I will hit 35 travelling somewhere hot, pretty and PAID FOR IN CASH. Hobbies include Gin, Gym, Cake, Craft. Welcome, thanks for looking in!

My total debt is £26097.26.

My first focus is MBNA which started at £2385

My pots only include a fun pot and an emergency pot right now, in March a wee little payrise is coming, all the pots will happen then and budgeting can start properly. At that point I’ll do a proper SOA for you all to see, in the mean time it’s just a mission to earn as much extra as I can, and use the CC as little as possible (so far so good, nothing since early December!)

Pull up a pew, I'm in for a long ride...

Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; Yesterday at 1:15 PM.
Page 5
    • ToTheBatcave
    • By ToTheBatcave 6th Jan 18, 12:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    ToTheBatcave
    Delurking just to confirm what others have already said. I think you're doing fab. It may not seem like you've made much progress at the moment but you're just at the beginning of this journey. It may also help to think about how much more difficult your budget would be now if you had carried on building debt as you were before.

You're doing absolutely brilliantly!
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 11,234 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Also delurking to say you are doing a great job. I am also doing this by myself and it does make it harder in some ways but you will get there in the end. So many times I had 'sod it'moments but I kept going and now the debt is nearly gone. Some days it felt like hell but as the saying goes, when you are going through hell, keep going. I hope you enjoy your social event. Keep on keeping on.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/December 2017=2,510
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 6th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Hey lurkers!

Tothebatcave - I love your username! Thanks for popping in, it's really appreciated. And you are so right. If I'd have spent like I had been on the cards for even just another few months I would, without a doubt, be in a DMP situation. I can just about meet my payments for the next few months, then my situation will improve slightly and I'll have a teeny bit more breathing room. I've avoided DMP by the skin of my teeth, honestly, by a month or two I think, and for that I am very greatful.

Doingitanyway - You are so right. When you are going through hell, keep going. Your words have put a smile on my face and I'm feeling a lot more positive. Thank you, really.
    MBNA - £2249.73/£2385 - 5.67%
    Emergency Fund £25.92/£1000
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 6th Jan 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Coffee, cake yarn just read your diary , I like crafting but it can be expensive. You are doing really well , I have a tight budget but have enough to enjoy life. You have to have some enjoyment or you just get fed up. I invite friends round and we have a meal , one brings the starter , I do main , dessert by another. It doesn’t cost a lot and is good fun.

Have subscribed.
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £258

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 6th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Welcome Cumbria! I'm kinda lucky in the sense that most of my friend have small people now so any socal stuff is mostly things like that on the very cheap and indoors. We don't really do an awful lot together though, everyone is busy with their families. I don't mind too much, I like my quiet time What crafts do you do? I'm currently working through stash so no spends in that area, I've accumulated a ton over the years so have more than enough to be cracking on with
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 6th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Card making and knitting are my crafts !
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £258

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 7th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 4,674 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Hello. You are doing so well. Hopefully we can be a support network for you.

I normally stay in on NYE but this year my parents had a few family over and asked me to go there but I think it's very over rated. I normally go to bed before midnight.
    Not impressed when I get an invite from friends and I know the costs involved will be massive and the enjoyment will be low.
    Rather have a pizza and cup of tea.

Hope you have recovered from being poorly last year- it sounds like you have. Must have been quite hard.

Wishing you well for 2018 with much improved financial situation for this time next year.

Will follow. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 7th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 7,956 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Doing something is always the right way to go - far better than being crippled by anxiety and doing nothing but fret. Surveys are good for diverting your mind - as is Candy Crush but that won't make you any money.
    Prolific Academic studies are nearly all academic so it's rare to get anything product related though I have had an occasional one, and I've had a few political ones too but they're usually all far more interesting than those we get elsewhere. Having said that I find the nectar ones pretty ok, and the points seem to add up nice and quick.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 7th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Any news from a hole coffee?

Also thank you so much for mentioning shoppix, I am loving it at the minute as it is so easy to do. I get quite a few receipts so I can see how the points add up quickly. Also liking the fact that it doesn't take five minutes for loads of questions, only to be told you don't qualify for a survey!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £20607.44/£23090.83 10.75% paid
    Debt no 1 £0/£593.29 paid Jan 2018 ~ Emergency fund £337.50/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £2524.42/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £98.88/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 7th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 7,956 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Any news from a hole coffee?

Also thank you so much for mentioning shoppix, I am loving it at the minute as it is so easy to do. I get quite a few receipts so I can see how the points add up quickly. Also liking the fact that it doesn't take five minutes for loads of questions, only to be told you don't qualify for a survey!
    Originally posted by Mumoffourkids
    If you're doing shoppix, do shopprize as well - same sort of thing and gives 5-60 points for logging in each day and 120 per receipt. 1000 points = £5 Amazon.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shopprize.app.uk&hl=en_GB
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 7th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Hey all! Thanks for all the cheers I'm a smiley girly today but we will get to that in a mo....

Love knitting and crochet! I've resisted the urge to start paper crafts (for now) but when I'm financially stable I've made a pact to myself that I'm going to try everything I fancy. I won't be crazy cat lady, I'll be crazy craft lady!

I'm on IOS and couldn't find shopprixe, but then realised my tablet is android! SCORE! And thank you to the other person who used the code, whoever you are (ooooo mysterious!!)

PSL - hi All better now, one more set of tests and I should be discharged, fingers crossed, I'll know by the end of Feb, but I certainly feel tip top.

Right so last night... ended up out on the town for a few and stayed at a friends. Spent the huge sum of NOTHING! NADA! ZERO! Because I was apparently 'owed' for a good deed I did a few months ago. We only had three cocktails but still that's near on £30 saved! Of course I protested but the couple were having none of it so.... yay, karma!

Drove back this morning and did the boring adult bits on the way. Stopped at sainsbos for a top up shop, total £9.27. Paid at self check out, used points but it only gave me the option of £2.50, £5.00 or £10.00. Well I wanted to used £7.50 but then paniced, pressed £5.00, saw the queue behind me, panicked a little more and paid £4.27 in cash. Still that's not bad for a weeks worth, I shouldn't need anything else until next weekend at least now. But holy cow is sainsbos expensive in comparison to aldi! Got three things that weren't on the list, french bread and bacon (it's that kinda brunch needed) and a sainsbos own diet coke which I'm trying my hardest to pretend I like....
    Also stuck £20 petrol in the car.

Got home, checked my accounts and lookie here.... £400 from the a hole!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!

EFFING YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did a little happy dance round the front room. Thank everything that turned up! I can rest a little easier now knowing that if I do have to pay, and if it is expensive, I've got a BIG chunk covered. HAPPY SUNDAY
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 7th Jan 18, 4:05 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    MeenaM
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is excellent news regarding the payment from A-hole!
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/4673.58- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 4055.29AA Credit Card £860 275.16- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-429.01 0% ends Feb 2018 STARTED Nov 17AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £210/£1000
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 7th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 7,956 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Thank goodness for that.
    And I agree Sainsbury's is expensive, we use Aldi mostly and if I don't have a choice and have to use one of the main 4 then I always get a shock at their prices. Does concentrate the mind however.
    Would be great if those surveys were in vouchers that could be spent in other supermarkets but can't have everything I suppose. At least it means when I want or need to shop there it's sort of free, or at least just my spare time I'm spending.
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 7th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    My thoughts too Joey, it did focus my mind. I skipped the ham for the week settling for boiled eggs instead, bought the basic basic bacon and bread instead of the ham, which totalled the cost of 6 slices of ham! Shocker! But I did also get soya milk x2, bananas, potatos, broccoli, eggs, gravy, really skank diet coke, cucumber and lettuce so looking at it, the whole list for £4 odd wasn't bad.
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 7th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Wow amazing news on the money from a hole! And great news on the free night out!

I love knitting and have tried crochet but I'm not too good at that. I have been knitting about 30 years though which reminds me I must find my wool stash and needles and get knitting again!

But on a different note, you must be so pleased the money came through as now you can relax a bit about your car!
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 7th Jan 18, 7:26 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    I just feel like a weight has been lifted so bad. I was having visions of having an extra £700 on my CC. I have no idea how much the repair will cost but knowing it's at least part sorted is just, well, phew. Totally hammered home the need for emergency fund. I don't think I can start building properly until March payday, but from then on in I'm on it. I think I might be sleeping slightly better tonight

I seem to be better at crochet than knitting, but embroidery is my first love <3 Old lady in the making over here
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 7th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 268 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I know what you mean about old lady in the making. I used to sew and knit my dolls clothes when I was younger. I used to spend holidays with my bank and she taught me to cook, knit, and sew. I even made my own wedding dress!

And yes emergency fund is a must. Mine will be building slowly at £50 per month, but at least it's a start!
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • -taff
    • By -taff 7th Jan 18, 11:32 PM
    • 7,335 Posts
    • 5,391 Thanks
    -taff
    De-lurking,also knit, but badly, better at DIY and sewing
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 8th Jan 18, 10:19 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Hi Taff! I'm totally rubbish at DIY! Thankfully I rent now so not much call for that talent

Morning all. Nothing to report, quiet rest of the day yesterday, slept a little better. No plans to spend today, spag bol from the freezer for dinner. Gym today. Try and get a few more pennies and points on the surveys.

Enjoy your Mondays
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 8th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Monday Done!
    NSD 1 of what I'm hoping will be 5 this week
    Gym 1 out of 4 that I want to do this week
    Few pounds and points on the surveys
    Spag bol from the freezer for dinner, and YS pork slow cooking ready for dinner tomorrow and Wednesday.
    Ordered a free trial graze box so must remember to cancel it!

Nothing else exciting to report, heating is on though it's jeffing cold!

x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,332Posts Today

9,459Users online

Martin's Twitter