Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 22nd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    • 115Posts
    • 251Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:48 PM
    Coffee, Cake, Yarn - New Start 22nd Dec 17 at 3:48 PM
    I’ve decided to edit this after a mess up of the figures…. To cut a long story short I’ve been here before, paid off a lot, lived happily ever after, split with the ex, fell ill, and got myself in a pickle again. So here I am, new username, new diary, new dreams. Upfront warning, I over post

I'm a thirty something (cough) single-ish-ton who is determined that I won't hit 35 in debt. I will hit 35 travelling somewhere hot, pretty and PAID FOR IN CASH. Hobbies include Gin, Gym, Cake, Craft. Welcome, thanks for looking in!

My total debt is £26097.26.

My first focus is MBNA which started at £2340

My pots only include a fun pot and an emergency pot right now, in March a wee little payrise is coming, all the pots will happen then and budgeting can start properly. At that point I’ll do a proper SOA for you all to see, in the mean time it’s just a mission to earn as much extra as I can, and use the CC as little as possible (so far so good, nothing since early December!)

Pull up a pew, I'm in for a long ride...

Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 12-01-2018 at 3:09 PM.
Page 4
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 3rd Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Early daily round up from me as I'm sneaking out early today. Gym and company tonight, not going out though just Big Brother on the sofa.

Not a NSD. £1.14 in Sainsbos, tried to pay using nectar points but minimum is £2.50. Doh.

Another £1.58 in the ohmygodineedtopayforthecar pot.
    Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 03-01-2018 at 3:43 PM.
    MBNA - £2254.59/£2385 - 5.47%
    Emergency Fund £24.36/£1000
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 3rd Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    MeenaM
    Hiya did you manage to shop with your nectar points ? Well done on the eBay sale I slept like a log last night through the storm lol
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/4673.58- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 4055.29AA Credit Card £860 305- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-429.01 0% ends Feb 2018 AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £160/£1000
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 3rd Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    I didn't know that about Sainsbury's points. I always save mine up against the big spends - double ups for birthday/christmas presents, big holiday food shops, gifts - so I don't use them in small amounts typically.

Still you know for next time, and I'm so happy to share the e-rewards knowledge. Having had a bit of spare time since NYE I'm already up to £5 banked and another 855 points. Wish I'd known about that site earlier. I assume incidentally that you already do Prolific Academic?
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 4th Jan 18, 8:55 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Morning all

Meena - Nope, total shop was only £1.14 so didn't want to add extra just for the sake of it. I'll save it for when I need a bigger top up.

Joey - Thanks again It's only me so there never is really a big holiday shop, but I might let them build for present buying, but again, I only usually buy about 4 or 5 presents a year, thankfully most of my friends just don't bother now. I haven't tried Prolific Academic, but will check it out! I survey'd myself out a few years back, and have only really just picked them up again. I can't stand the sight of swagbucks, but QMEE and Nectar seem to be okay, so I'll check it out

Another day another dollar. I woke up this morning with achey legs from the gym, YAY! Rest day today and looking forward to an early night as once again slept a bit rubbish.

No more ebay sales, boo. Fingers crossed for something to go today.

Still no news on money from the a hole.
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 4th Jan 18, 10:16 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    MeenaM
    morning here's hoping A-hole coughs up! grrrrr
    Sealed Pot 11. #199Next£1170Barclays Credit Card £4891.20/4673.58- 0% ends April 2019 virgin 0% ends july 2020 £4138 4055.29AA Credit Card £860 305- 0% ends Dec 2017 Sainsburys Credit Card £521.27-429.01 0% ends Feb 2018 AIM TO BE DEBT FREE JULY 2019Emergency Fund £160/£1000
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 4th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I started doing surveys over Christmas but I can't keep up with them now I have gone back to work and all the kids have gone back to school and activities have started again. How do you cope with fitting them in and/or remembering which sites you have signed up to?

Oh and hoping a hole coughs up the money for you so you can relax a bit.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £22940.83/£23090.83
    Debt no 1 £493.29/£593.29 ~ Emergency fund £0/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £0/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £28.90/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 4th Jan 18, 11:12 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Thanks both, it would give me a little breathing room but I don't want to put too much pressure because if I do I know him well enough to delay further out of spite, especially if he knows I actually need it for something and it's causing me hassle by not having it.

I don't have any little'uns so my time is mostly my own. I do half hour with me coffee in the mornings, check in a few times a day if I have any downtime at work, then once I've done my chores for the evening get back to it. I've not had much luck over the last few days though. I have had the opportunity to cash out £5.00 paypal on shoppix (an app where you just take pictures of your receipts and get points, shameless referral code plug: 2DSCUVUG), but if you leave the points balance for a higher cash out you need less points so I'm trying to resist until I get enough for a £20 cash out. It's slow going but a change from the actual surveys.

I'm only on QMEE and Nectar right now for the surveys, I don't want to burn out like I did last time lol
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 4th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 247 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    Thanks for the referral code, I'll have a look at Shoppix. I am at work currently but am the only one in, so bored and browsing the forum trying to think up other ways to save money or thinking of things to sell!!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £22940.83/£23090.83
    Debt no 1 £493.29/£593.29 ~ Emergency fund £0/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £0/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £28.90/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 4th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    No, thank you for using it (we both get a bonus though! ).

I've gone back over my budgets this morning as it's quiet, I just can't believe how tight I'm cutting things at the moment. It'll change slightly from March due to a slight pay increase, but Jan and Feb paydays are going to be so unbelievably tight, I really need all the extra pennies I can get. It's making me very glad I stocked up on the YS meat, as I think my food budget is going to be about £15 a week. Ugh. It looks tough, but I keep thinking it's a good job I started this now, or I'd just end up piling more and more on the CC.
    Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 05-01-2018 at 9:30 AM.
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 4th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    MeenaM
    you're doing well with the budgets , tight but i am sure you can do it and it will be worth it

surveys really do my head in actually i am only doing the YouGov one , which is very slow but its a £50 at the end of it and ive started the nector ones i cant cope with any more tbh
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 4th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Not just me then! Hope yours picks up soon x
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 4th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Another site like Shoppix is Shopprize - essentially the same sort of thing though they give you between 5 and 60 points for logging in each day whether you photograph a receipt or not. Its a slow build and you get £5 Amazon for 1000 points, but it's just habit for me now. I click on it first thing every morning then do the photos for Shopprize then Shoppix each time I get one.
    Nectar points can also be spent at Argos, Debenhams etc so might be useful against things that break or sale shopping.
    I do Nectar and Qmee surveys, the not an acorn one and Prolific Academic - PA is good as they never screen you out as all the qualification is done up front. They pay quite well too and they're far more interesting than most of the rest. I also do Crowdflower tasks on their Elite site but only if I find a decent task and have some time on my hands, typically when watching tv.

Mumof4 - I actually have a little tick list in my notebook, but will pop into all of them throughout the day as and when I have a little time.
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 4th Jan 18, 1:17 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    It took me so long to get to 5Euro on crowflower I gave up the will to live

I've tried to find shopprize on the app store, no luck. Also the prolific academic website doesn't want to work for me. Not my lucky day lol.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 4th Jan 18, 1:57 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    CF can be like that. I have long phases of not doing but overall I've done it for years and made several hundred pounds doing it so I often go back. I've made about £100 over December just doing the odd few tasks every day - when I do it I aim to make at least £1 a day - sometimes if there are good tasks I'll just run with it and I was lucky to get 4 days of over £10 with some really decent tasks - quite rare though recently.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 4th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shopprize.app.uk&hl=en_GB
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 4th Jan 18, 2:56 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Thanks Joey, as every your contributions are a big help I managed to get on PA and already banked a little 18p. Baby steps and all that! It was really different, I hope they all follow that theme and aren't just, 'How does this packet make you feel?' kinda thing
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 5th Jan 18, 9:19 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Morning all!

NSD yesterday, and my new account card turned up so I set up all my little pots ready to go when the card reader device thing comes. Not money saving as such, but helps me feel a little more organised. I like the fact that I can keep everything in one place clearly labelled, not in four different savings accounts all called savings account.

Another few quid in the car pot and another couple of nectar surveys, I'm going to use the points on actual food for the next few months until I'm on a bit more of an even keel. Anything to keep me away from the CC. And given the amount of meat still in my freezer it's only veg and salady bits I need, so a little should go a long way, fingers crossed!

Got the envelope for my broken phone today, hopefully if that goes through it should be an extra £40 ish in the pot. Probably not enough to cover it all but at least it's a dent.

Still no word from a hole.

Very quiet weekend planned, so far it looks like the only place I will need to go is sainsbos. That may change but I won't know until later tomorrow. Even if it's not it will be a few drinks only (and this is one I really can't get out of) having already said no to the expensive I really don't want to go event.

Another NSD planned today. Small steps
    Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 05-01-2018 at 9:43 AM.
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 5th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Another NSD another dollar or two in the car pot. Feeling a bit disheartened as even though I have now made enough to cover the filter and hire car costs, if the repair isn't covered under the warranty the money I've made will pale in comparison. I need to get back positive so here some positive MSE type things for me to consider.

Since payday on 22nd December I have filled the freezer and sorted the majority of my months food for £41, this includes protien powder that will last 3 months. I anticipate only spending £20 for the rest of the month, making me about £20 under budget
    I haven't used a credit card since before payday.
    I have £50 to cover some car costs
    I've only spent £19 on entertainment since 22nd (a Pizza)
    I have £123.32 left in my monthly spends (Food, petrol, fun) and 21 days until payday
    I have overpaid my CC by £36.36
    This week I have earnt an extra £23.29 (all gone in the car pot)
    This time next week the car will be over and I'll know what damage is done and can start acting to minimise.

And some non MSE positives
    3 gym sessions this week and didn't die
    lost 2lbs as a result (not trying to lose, but if it happens I'm happy!)
    Productive minimal stress week at work (Rare!)
    A lovely lay in to look forward to tomorrow

Don't know why I'm in a funk today. I know I'm doing everything possible I just am losing sleep over the car. I've a horrible feeling its going to be hundereds on the CC and I'm going to take 12 steps back. I've been proactive though, and taken up a 0% spending offer on one of the cards just in case I do need to use it. And if the last few months haven't been a wake up call to sort myself out this certainly is.

Hope you are all having a lovely evening, and sorry I'm a negative nancy moany winge bag right now.
    Last edited by CoffeeCakeYarn; 05-01-2018 at 8:58 PM.
    • MeenaM
    • By MeenaM 6th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 124 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    MeenaM
    morning coffee, I hope you are feeling more positive this morning, i have everything crossed that the car cost wont be as bad as you imagine

onwards and upwards you are doing so well !
    • CoffeeCakeYarn
    • By CoffeeCakeYarn 6th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    CoffeeCakeYarn
    Morning Meena! Thank you, having people cheering on really helps so much. A little more positive today. I was laying in bed last night thinking that since I started this, the very only thing I could have changed was the pizza, and maybe the vape, but the sum total of cutting both of those this out would be £37, and that's not make or break in my situation right now. I know I've only just started, and sometimes there will be bumps along the road, I just need to use this oppertunity to realise and put things in place so I'm never here again, losing sleep over an emergency cost. Just wish it hadn't come so soon.

I think I'm frustrated because I've been here before. I never thought I'd have to do it again and I should have learnt from the first time. Last time it was so much easier, having two incomes and a rental income, and my ex shouldered the burden. Right now it's just me, none of my friends know what's going on, it feels quite isolating so each and every comment I get is so valuable, it really does help to know I'm not alone.

I think it's a bit unrealistic on my budget to expect myself to never have to touch a CC for emergencies whilst I haven't got and emergency fund, and it is what it is. I need to relax about it, and keep the focus. And build a blinking car fund and an emergency fund!

Today is still uncertain with plans. I'm going to do a little pamper, or attempt to, with stuff that's in th cupboard. I'm not sure if I'm out tonight or not yet, will find out later, but it may be a meal instead of drinks which I will prefer, I feel like it's more of a treat. I know it sounds like I'm making excuses and shouldn't be out after all the above ramblings, but this one I really can't get out of. That's the only social spend now until payday week off, and I'm still owed a take away which will defo come in useful at some point this month

Going to crack on with a few surverys for now. Still baby steps but doing whatever I can is helping me stay a little more positive. Have a good day all x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter