Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • borogers
    • By borogers 21st Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 4Thanks
    borogers
    pip
    • 21st Dec 17, 11:19 PM
    pip 21st Dec 17 at 11:19 PM
    Got turned down for pip 0 points, i have epilepsy 1 to 2 grand mal seizures a week ...the one question and answer that made me annoyed was the bathing one, i have a bath and the wife sits in the bathroom with me has i'v had seizures and nearly drowned in the past. So they said sit in an empty bath holding a shower head ..would that stand up in a pip tribunal or would a judge dismiss it...
Page 2
    • Ames
    • By Ames 22nd Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 16,886 Posts
    • 29,566 Thanks
    Ames
    Hi Alice.... 1,Preparing food. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. points. 2 points..i have had seizures cooking in the past and scolded my arm and cuts of hitting my head on the cooker and on one occasion even the microwave set a sizure off.. Managing therapy or monitoring a health condition.. 2,supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage medication. 1 point i do suffer a lot with depression so the wife gives me my tablets on time... 3,Washing and bathing...Needs supervision or prompting to be able to wash or bathe. 2 points ..the wife sits in the bathroom with me in case i have a seizure and drowned.. 4,Making budgeting decisions..Needs prompting or assistance to be able to make complex budgeting decisions. 2 points. i do get long bouts of depression after seizures plus the after affects of sizures i am usually no good for the rest off the day so the wife does the budgeting decisions ....that's 7 points but i only go for number 2 twice,three,times a week so if i am incontinent once usually twice a week is that not 50% of the time same has chopping up food using sharp knives.... Planning and following journeys.. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid.10 points its not save for me i need someone with me when i go out, i got hit by a bike on one occasion after coming round from a seizure ...
    Originally posted by borogers
    Are they all points you think you should have got, or did you actually get any?

Also Alice asked who filled in the form, did you get help from somewhere like CAB or do it all yourself?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 22nd Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,780 Posts
    • 1,991 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    sorry i do appreciate Alice's post ...thanks Alice
    No problem - you are very welcome.

Your list of descriptors from your PIP2 form seems good to me.

Some more things to consider -
    Re the incontinence - do the seizures result in soiling? If so then include that in your appeal.
    Do you need help to clean up afterwards?

Re the depression - how does this affect social engagement?
    Plus following a grand mal, do you need someone present to help you communicate / understand / etc with others. Does it affect your memory, so you can't reliably recall important conversations / info.

The taking nutrition activity - Some people who suffers seizures are so affected that they need help to eat properly and reliably during the day after a grand mal. Does this apply to you, possibly? (especially with depression). Is your appetite affected and do you need supervision / prompting?
    2. Taking nutrition - b) supervision to be able to take nutrition; - 2 points.

No need to reply, I've just put these up for you to consider.

Do make sure your tribunal submission covers at least 8 points for DL.

I asked the question because some claimant's PIP forms don't cover the points you have put in your post.
    It can then be much more difficult to succeed at tribunal (the PIP form is important evidence). Sometimes the best course of action is to start again - get help to prepare the PIP form at your local CAB (or using the guides I have linked to) and ensure you have a PIP form which fully explains why the benefit should be awarded.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 22-12-2017 at 8:41 PM.
    • borogers
    • By borogers 22nd Dec 17, 8:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    borogers
    Points i think you should have got,i did get the big 0 ..filled in the form myself as CAB and Welfare Rights had no appointment's for weeks
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 23rd Dec 17, 8:10 AM
    • 6,405 Posts
    • 11,564 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Sorry I am very wary of posting medial condition specific advice on public boards where it can be lifted and used on other people’s forms who don’t necessarily have the difficulties that the person I’m helping has. I’ll posf a sanitised version on the thread at some point for a “casual reader” when I get a minute.

It is important to remember that there is an acceptable standard. I’m appealing my own PIP as the DM has stated I don’t spend long eating so I’m not at much risk of seizing during eating as it doesn’t take long - garbage, I expect the tribunal to agree.

These HCPs have probably only seen epilepsy and other seizure disorders in books and the ignorance is shocking. When you do get to tribunal there will be a doctor on a panel and they should at least have a working knowledge of the basics, there’s also a disability rights person so between them it should be worked out.

Get that letter from your GP or even one of your consultants registrars (phone his secretary).
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • borogers
    • By borogers 8th Feb 18, 10:40 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    borogers
    Hi got a phone call today from dwp saying would i be happy with Enhanced mobility and dropping the tribunal ..Has this happened before just seems a bit odd but i can now stop worrying...
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Feb 18, 10:43 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 1,985 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Hi got a phone call today from dwp saying would i be happy with Enhanced mobility and dropping the tribunal ..Has this happened before just seems a bit odd but i can now stop worrying...
    yes, i've heard of this happening before. Question is are you happy with that award? If not then decline it and carry on with the Tribunal.
    • borogers
    • By borogers 8th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    borogers
    Yes im happy..Do not fancy going to a tribunal and the chance of getting nothing,
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 8th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 6,405 Posts
    • 11,564 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Yes that!!!8217;s not unusual, sounds like your case has been reviewed and it!!!8217;s been highlighted how ridiculous your decision was.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,631Users online

Martin's Twitter