Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miikecb1
    • By Miikecb1 21st Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Miikecb1
    Online identification failure
    • 21st Dec 17, 8:41 PM
    Online identification failure 21st Dec 17 at 8:41 PM
    Over the years I have opened several online accounts with building societies without any difficulty. However, my wife is invariably asked to supply certificated copies of documents such as passport and driving licence, and sometimes copies of bank statements, to prove her identity. This is very tedious and time consuming, My wife has been in full time employment for over 40 years since leaving university, pays her taxes, has her own bank account and several savings accounts, owns shares, is on the electoral roll, has lived with me for several years at the same address and has her own credit and debit cards. I am at a loss to understand why she consistently has a problem opening new building society accounts. The societies themselves will offer no explanation. What does she need to do to overcome this problem?
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 21st Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 21st Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    • 21st Dec 17, 9:30 PM
    Over the years I have opened several online accounts with building societies without any difficulty. However, my wife is invariably asked to supply certificated copies of documents such as passport and driving licence, and sometimes copies of bank statements, to prove her identity. This is very tedious and time consuming, My wife has been in full time employment for over 40 years since leaving university, pays her taxes, has her own bank account and several savings accounts, owns shares, is on the electoral roll, has lived with me for several years at the same address and has her own credit and debit cards. I am at a loss to understand why she consistently has a problem opening new building society accounts. The societies themselves will offer no explanation. What does she need to do to overcome this problem?
    Originally posted by Miikecb1
    Has she checked her Experian credit report via MSE Credit Club to check everything shows as correct?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 22nd Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    • 21,380 Posts
    • 10,280 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 22nd Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 9:28 AM
    I would get all 3 credit reports (for free) e.g. noddle for call credit as not all banks report to 1.

Taxes, employment, bank accounts, debit card, savings accounts will not show up.
    Only electoral role and any credit.
    Perhaps she hasn't had credit cards long enough?

but the first place to start is with the reports. Don't bother paying for credit scores they are made up by credit reference agencies to generate income and not directly related to any lenders systems, so largely considered useless and a "cash cow".
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 22nd Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    ctdctd
    • 22nd Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 10:00 AM
    I have the same problem with the Nottingham and the Chorley B/S's for savings accounts - despite holding existing accounts with them. I have lived at my current address for 20+ years and have multiple accounts with several providers.

The Chorley use Equifax so I ordered a trial credit report with them - I can't see any problems or errors with it.

So, there is something an ID check shows that is not revealed on a credit report.
    Equifax were no help when I contacted them.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
    • westv
    • By westv 22nd Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 2,044 Thanks
    westv
    • 22nd Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    I think the only time I had a problem was when I excluded myself from the "open" electoral roll - even though that isn't supposed to make any difference.
    • Miikecb1
    • By Miikecb1 22nd Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miikecb1
    • 22nd Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 2:13 PM
    Thanks for the comments.

My wife does not have any credit, not that I can see why credit should have anything to do with verifying identity. She is on the restricted version of the electoral role, but then so am I, and I have never been asked to verify my identity or address. Like ctdctd I think there is some unpublicised reference which is used. Someone suggested to me that it might be to do with being named on utility bills and council tax accounts. This would fit because all such accounts are in my sole name, but I don’t know how to check this.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 22nd Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 5,917 Posts
    • 3,958 Thanks
    fwor
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 3:35 PM
    In my experience there is no practical way to find out for a member of the public. One of the main principles behind banking security policy is that they don't tell anyone outside of their organisation what their security procedures are - because giving that information away may give an advantage to someone with bad intent. And also, if they were to tell you what the procedures are today, there is nothing to say that they won't change tomorrow.

The best approach is probably just to put up with it, and you'll probably find that the problem just goes away the next time that bank's procedures are updated.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 22nd Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 22nd Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 5:09 PM
    I often encounter this problem as I live in a flat. So many combos (not my real one but examples).

Flat 23 Robert House 15 High Street
    23 Robert House, High Street
    23,15 Robert House, High Street

Yesterday I tried to open a second post office savings account online - despite using the same details as the one I applied for 5 weeks ago (which I needed certified id and copies of statements for) they want me to provide certified ID (must be black and white and correctly worded or they wont accept it) and statements AGAIN! All just so I can give them money! I rang them up to ask couldn't they just link the two - but no.

I wonder how oligarchs managed to pay tens of millions for a London apartment without much interest - yet putting £100 into a post office account is such a money laundering risk!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 22nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 21,380 Posts
    • 10,280 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 22nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 22nd Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    not that I can see why credit should have anything to do with verifying identity
    I'm guessing but if you had been verified already by a number of lenders then that will give confidence.
    They all rely on each other which makes a bit of a mockery of it.
    For example if they ask for a passport or driving licence then they are relying on the passport office or DVLA.
    Similarly if you have a number of credit accounts they know you have been verified by those organisations.
    A criteria could be at least 3 accounts with a list or highly rergarded names.
    Just guesswork but having credit accounts does seem to help.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 22nd Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    Kim_13
    The MSE article on credit reports has a section on how to check all three agencies for free, if you haven't already done so: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report#free
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • nilrem
    • By nilrem 23rd Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    nilrem
    Originally posted by Miikecb1
    I understand exactly how you feel, We have the same problem opening accounts for my wife, she has no passport or driving licence, I even went to the length of getting a provisional licence not for her to drive but for ID purposes and even though it carried her photo Virgin said it was no use, it had to be a Full licence to which I replied "So a condition of opening an account is that she has to take and pass a driving test too!" I found it quite ridiculous.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 23rd Dec 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,662 Posts
    • 1,903 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I understand exactly how you feel, We have the same problem opening accounts for my wife, she has no passport or driving licence, I even went to the length of getting a provisional licence not for her to drive but for ID purposes and even though it carried her photo Virgin said it was no use, it had to be a Full licence to which I replied "So a condition of opening an account is that she has to take and pass a driving test too!" I found it quite ridiculous.
    Originally posted by nilrem
    Sadly the requirement for a full licence seems to have evolved from a situation where (and I'm not sure how common it was) an older sibling would pass their test, retain their licence after the event and instead of sending it off to the DVLA, would claim to have misplaced it. Once they had two provisionals, one was exchanged for the full and the other passed on to a younger sibling.

Provisionals are more widely accepted as ID where they are the old paper format, but sadly you can't ask for one of these.

I guess the banks would fall foul of discrimination laws if they said they would only accept provisionals from a certain age group. Though that said, they seem to accept birth certificates for a child's account but they won't otherwise.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £0/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £8.00/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 90,350 Posts
    • 57,133 Thanks
    dunstonh
    I even went to the length of getting a provisional licence not for her to drive but for ID purposes and even though it carried her photo Virgin said it was no use, it had to be a Full licence to which I replied "So a condition of opening an account is that she has to take and pass a driving test too!" I found it quite ridiculous.
    Its not ridiculous. The provisional licence is not accepted by most as it doesn't carry the same requirements to get one that a full licence does.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 23rd Dec 17, 8:27 PM
    • 6,054 Posts
    • 6,055 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I even went to the length of getting a provisional licence not for her to drive but for ID purposes and even though it carried her photo Virgin said it was no use, it had to be a Full licence
    Originally posted by nilrem
    It's always worth checking the published criteria for each institution - Virgin's ID verification page (for in-store account opening) does state that a provisional licence is acceptable, so if you have this info in front of you it makes it harder for them to refuse:
    Valid Photocard Driving Licence (full or provisional)
    • ctdctd
    • By ctdctd 13th Jan 18, 6:53 AM
    • 741 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    ctdctd
    Just a quick update which might help some.

I applied for a Virgin Mobile contract the week which needed an Equifax credit check which I failed.
    This is despite same address for 25+ years, multiple banks and savings accounts, no debts, no ccj's etc.

I have a middle name on my passport which I never use in real life - I thought I'd try again with the same details but including my optional middle name.

This time, I passed the check!
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,574Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin