Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 21st Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    • 703Posts
    • 556Thanks
    UKParliament
    How will RBS branch closures affect you? Tell MPs your views
    • 21st Dec 17, 10:09 AM
    How will RBS branch closures affect you? Tell MPs your views 21st Dec 17 at 10:09 AM
    On Wednesday 17 January the Scottish Affairs Committee will be questioning the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) about their recently announced plans to close branches in Scotland.

Ahead of this session the Committee want to hear from you about the impact these closures would have on you, your family, friends and local community.
    • What impact will these closures have on your ability to access banking services?
    • How long will it take you to get to your nearest bank?
    • Will the alternatives RBS is promoting, such as online banking and accessing services via the Post Office, work for you?

The Committee will use the information you provide to inform their questioning of RBS. Please post your comment by Tuesday 9 January.

Please note, the Committee cannot respond to or pursue individual cases.

If you donít want to contribute on the forum, you can submit through the Committeeís website.

You can visit the Committee website, or follow the Committee Twitter account @CommonsScotAffs, for more information.
    Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 2
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 1st Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 7,527 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I heard that it was Philip Hammond that told RBS to close branches
    Has he told all the other banks to do exactly the same too? Because they are doing.

Once we're independent, I hope whoever is in government in Holyrood demands RBS opens as many damn branches as we want - or they can get in the sea!!
    I don't think the EU competition people Nicola loves so much would approve it.
    Last edited by PeacefulWaters; 01-01-2018 at 7:15 PM.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 4th Jan 18, 3:13 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    Don80
    These latest round of closures do not affect me as I switched my RBS account to another bank. Otherwise I had no branch near me.
    However, I know people who bank with them in the Highlands and they are affected.

My concern is small businesses and older people who won't even see something like this.

Perhaps banks should be forced to explain, not just about post office and online banking, but also about the switch service. They should also point out which other banks have nearby branches. The people I know in the Highlands are now looking at the Bank of Scotland and TSB as they still have branches.
    • Avrilred23
    • By Avrilred23 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Avrilred23
    RBS killing rural communities, didn't close branches when us the tax payers were bailing them out but now for the first time in how long they are well in profit and not caring about their loyal customers who stood by them. Sickens me.
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 11th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    UKParliament
    Thank you for all of your comments - the Scottish Affairs Committee will use your responses to inform their questioning of RBS.

The Committee is holding an evidence session on the proposed RBS branch closures on Wednesday 17 January from 9.30am. They'll be hearing from senior executives from RBS as well as the Post Office and others and you can watch live on parliamentlive.tv. Alternatively a transcript of the meeting will be published on our website shortly afterwards and can be found here.
    Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

516Posts Today

4,375Users online

Martin's Twitter