Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 11
    • china-doll
    • By china-doll 9th Jan 15, 12:26 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    china-doll
    HI

I've done medical trials before...the last one I completed was just before Christmas.

It was testing a new inhaler pump - I don't even have asthma. They are checking to see how effective it is compared to a pump which is currently being used. It's pretty easy going, I did 3 lots of 3 night stays and pay is £1100 plus travel expenses.

The first trial I did was last summer, it was a drug which was already out in the market but they were testing a new pill coating. I had to do 2 lots of 8 night stays, so 16 nights in total. Paid just over £2400 plus travel expenses.

For both trials I went for a screening beforehand, the criteria for each trial is different but generally speaking you have to be healthy and fit, non smoker and can't be an excessive drinker. At the screening I had to fill in my details and give them my GP details so they can check your medical history. They won't accept you onto any trail without first checking your medical history. It''s a safety procedure. They then took blood samples and blood pressures, ecg and breathalyser tests. It was all pretty easy.

The actual stay was good, food was OK, people were lovely the only thing is you get bored all day watching TV and on the laptop!

Each trial differs but on my first one I was given the drug on the second day of my stay and then had to give blood at certain times of the day. My current rial seems to be going the same way, I had a check up and urine/blood samples then was told that was all I was needed for today. Tomorrow morning at 7.30am they will give us the inhaler pump to use then take blood samples throughout the day. On day they they take one more blood sample and then we are free to go by midday.

I didn't have any side effects, but some people had headaches, but I think it's due to being in a hospital ward all day with no open windows!

oh and if you're queasy with blood or needles then this isn't for you. I believe the amount of blood they took over the course of the trial was less than 25ml, you'd give much much more if you actually donated blood.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 29-01-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Requesting PM
    • Dird
    • By Dird 20th Jan 16, 12:19 AM
    • 2,607 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    Dird
    You guinea pigs still willing to play ball after France?
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 16
    Mortgage (Sep 17): £75,229 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%) | £25k in 2017: £15,171 (60.6%)
    • assinder
    • By assinder 27th Jan 16, 4:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    assinder
    Hi,

Has anyone taken part in a phase one trial or taking part in a trial where they have experienced side effects? Let me know!
    • Ian Llewellyn
    • By Ian Llewellyn 19th Mar 16, 5:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ian Llewellyn
    How do I become part of the medical trials?
    • By 0104 22nd May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sometimes you can find medical trials for illnesses you already have
    • Nickchick
    • By Nickchick 23rd May 17, 6:22 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nickchick
    Does anyone know of where to go to get paid to test medical equipment? I know it exists but cannot find it.
    I am also reading on this thread that you can get paid to get MRI scans and give blood (do not want to mess with plasma that's dangerous). Also you can do psychological testing? I have seen psychological testing but at colleges that are not in my area.
    I would like to do anything like that as it is non invasive. I am against pharmaceuticals (I don't even take them when doctors prescribe them). I might be able to test external medicines like ointment but after the Proactiv experience I am a little iffy but I lived through it even considering I got paid only 20 dollars so if I did it for more I will consider it.
    I live in the US btw.
    I've googled for non invasive ways to make money relating to healthcare field but to no avail. I know in some areas you can give stool samples for money. I'd be willing to do that even but had a hard time finding it in my area.
    • jay.lowe1988
    • By jay.lowe1988 10th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jay.lowe1988
    Where to start?
    Does anyone have any legitimate / recommended companies / facilities to register for medical trials please? I have googled "clinical trials" but I am obviously skeptical of signing up to take drugs from a company that could be ... sketchy. Are there any government funded facilities or any that are run by the NHS or medical students for example? I would guess they would be pharmaceutical companies but how do I weed out the genuine companies (the ones that will not compromise my life and will actually pay)?
    Any links or advice on where to start much appreciated!
    Thanks
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 31,630 Posts
    • 37,316 Thanks
    Browntoa
    https://volunteers.gsk.co.uk/
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 31,630 Posts
    • 37,316 Thanks
    Browntoa
    http://www.londontrials.com/
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 11th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 8,801 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Does anyone have any legitimate / recommended companies / facilities to register for medical trials please? I have googled "clinical trials" but I am obviously skeptical of signing up to take drugs from a company that could be ... sketchy. Are there any government funded facilities or any that are run by the NHS or medical students for example? I would guess they would be pharmaceutical companies but how do I weed out the genuine companies (the ones that will not compromise my life and will actually pay)?
    Any links or advice on where to start much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Originally posted by jay.lowe1988
    The NHS has never paid me to take part in medical trials, you do it out of goodwill and hoping to help yourself and others to find a cure (in my case for a condition I suffer from). If you ask, they 'may' be able to reimburse you for extra travel costs associated in coming to the hospital, for example.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £33,602.53
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,240
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,405Posts Today

6,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin