Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Temporary council work... official MoneySavingExp... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Temporary council work... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 56,587
# 1
MSE Lawrence
Old 15-10-2007, 3:40 PM
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Temporary council work... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This thread is now closed. There is a new one here.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

-------------------------------------------

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Temporary council work

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions

Just click reply

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 12-08-2013 at 4:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
lynzpower
Old 16-10-2007, 4:17 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

A couple of really good ones for upping of income with the local councils.

1) the census- yes, its not due yet- but when it is its a good little spinner, basiclaly door knocking adn getting people to fill out the census. you have a patch you get paid for each survey returned. I think I got a few hundred out of it last time.

2) working with elections - ballot watching stuff like that, manning polling stations, and counting. Our local councils pay about 10-15ph ( london) if you already work for the local council as well, sometimes they allow you to have EXTRA annnual leave to "help out " the electoral registrations teams

Exam invigilation is also a good one for adhoc work ( again seasonal) always advertising on gumtree/ jobcentreplus website for these.
Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
This Ive come to know...
So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lynzpower For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Frugaldom
Old 17-10-2007, 1:52 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

You can also apply to register as a temporary relief worker through Education, Social Work & Community Services. Once accepted, your 'contract' does state that the council cannot guarantee you work, but it is always another 'string to your bow' and there's usually work available during school holidays. It does take a couple of weeks for payments to reach your bank, so this isn't a quick-fix solution, but it can earn you a decent residual income over the year, especially if you include unsociable hours and weekends. I can highly recommend it
Challenging others to moneysaving since 1998
I reserve the right NOT to spend:
The less I spend, the more I can afford!
Frugaldom Rocks!

Last edited by Frugaldom; 17-10-2007 at 1:54 PM. Reason: typo
# 4
Katgoddess
Old 17-10-2007, 8:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

We use qualified nursery workers for our crèche bank in the Children's Centres. They are mainly teaching assistants, ex childminders and childcare workers who want a few hours during term time.

Also electoral registering. Similar to the census mentioned above.
"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
The Following User Says Thank You to Katgoddess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Reacher
Old 21-10-2007, 10:39 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I am currently working for my local council's electoral office as an 'Electoral Canvasser'. This involves visiting about 250 local properties who haven't returned their electoral registration form. I have to visit between 19-28 October and help people fill in the form (unless there are any major changes, it usually takes less than a minute as it is mostly pre-printed with last year's info). I will get paid £40 to attend a 1 hour training session, £10 travelling expenses, £10 phone expenses (you would only use the phone to call the Council offices with any queries), £20 for 2 hours' admin work and £10 per hour visiting houses (we are allowed to work up to 28 hours). For safety reasons, you are not allowed to enter houses and the council will have someone working through the weekend and evenings in the offices for any queries etc. Obviously this involves working weekends and evenings when more people will be at home.

As far as I know, it is now the law (from last year) that this has to be done every year.

I have also done electoral counting in the past. I have always enjoyed this during general elections although you have to work into the early hours of the morning, it it a good atmosphere with all the candidates and local tv and radio there. However local elections can be a bit of a drag with a lot of waiting around for voting slips to be delivered from the polling stations. However you are getting paid to sit around! I might try and put my name down for a polling clerk next year as it is good pay but a lot of people want to do it.

I am a Council employee although my job doesn't involve anything to do with the elections office. I usually find out about these jobs through our work email. However, I do know that the Council also employs outside people (including a lot of retired people) but I have never seen the jobs advertised. I think people must contact the elections office and ask for their name to be put down.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reacher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Arwen
Old 23-10-2007, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Convert

They do put their name down with the election office.I was a polling clerk in the May elections and got £145 after tax for being sat on my backside all day. Read a good bit of my book that day as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
tigger462
Old 09-01-2008, 1:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

So what department would i write to at my local council and what sort of thing would i need to say - like do you send a CV or just state you are willing to help in vote counts etc?
# 8
pennyfrog
Old 11-01-2008, 1:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I'd really like to know too.....!
Is there a form we need to ask for?
Conquering the debts one penny at a time.....
# 9
bigturnip
Old 11-01-2008, 1:38 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

There should be a section about working at elections on your local district council website, normally www.<yourdistrict>.gov.uk. Most have an a-z index of services and it will come under something like electoral services
I've given up trying to get my signature to work with the new rules, if nobody knows what the rules are what hope do we have?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigturnip For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
A little stressed!!
Old 19-04-2008, 5:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Are we due a vote soon??
I'm getting older, and lifes getting harder!
# 11
welshasiancheapskate
Old 19-04-2008, 6:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by A little stressed!! View Post
Are we due a vote soon??
yes we are-May 1st/2nd if I am right.
I had applied for doing temp work for postal vote counting/polling station clerk etc.
I never got chosen for any of tehm as they only give priority to employees of the Council.
Assalamu alaikum. May Allahs blessings be upon you
# 12
Techno
Old 19-04-2008, 6:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

2nd of May in Wales - would think rest of UK is about the same time
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
# 13
mrs.maverick
Old 19-04-2008, 10:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno View Post
2nd of May in Wales - would think rest of UK is about the same time
Actually the election is on !st May, but I expect it to go well into the 2nd(I'm a candidate!)
# 14
I'mcomingbackasaman
Old 20-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to I'mcomingbackasaman

Every council has an electoral registration office. If your interested in counting on the night of the local/general elections you'd need to apply about 2 months before hand. It's £52 here in pie eating country. (sorry murph to mention pies!)
# 15
dmg24
Old 20-04-2008, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmenow View Post
You can start up a home based business. This will help bring in additional income.
Spam. Reported.
# 16
Li0nhead
Old 20-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Li0nhead Send a message via MSN to Li0nhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellmenow View Post
You can start up a home based business. This will help bring in additional income.
So the local authority will pay me to start a home based business...... If your going to spam a thread at least spam a thread you have read the title of. idiot.
Feel for those worse off than yourself. Don't feel for those unwilling to better themselves.
# 17
Techno
Old 20-04-2008, 6:10 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.maverick View Post
Actually the election is on !st May, but I expect it to go well into the 2nd(I'm a candidate!)
I'll be a bit late then going on the 2nd
Where are you standing Mrs M North, South or Mid?
If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
# 18
Iain M
Old 28-01-2009, 6:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Election related work at your council

Although there are some local council elections this year, the next countrywide elections are for the European Parliamentary elections on Thursday 4 June 2009.

Polling staff will be required that day (polling hours for all elections are 7am to 10pm), but in addition staff will be required for the count, which is divided into two tasks:
a) the verification count which involved counting the number of ballot papers in the box as compared to the number reported as having been issued by the polling staff. Depending on the decision of each Council's Local Returning Officer this task will either be from 10pm on Thursday 4 June or from 9am on Friday 5 June;
b) the actual counting of votes by candidate/party will be on Sunday 7 June from 6pm – this is to ensure that any declaration of result in the UK occurs after the close of polls across Europe and avoids any chance of influencing voters in other countries.

Ahead of the polling day the council will also be looking to employ people during normal office hours to both issue and receive postal votes.

To register your interest in election work you should contact the Elections Office at your local council as they will start allocating jobs from now onwards– don’t leave it until May or you would probably be too late for the June elections. If you are not sure of the contact details for your local office you can find out by entering your postcode on this website http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/

It is important to note that if you are not employed by your Council that you would be a new employee, and Section 8 of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 requires all potential employees to provide documentary evidence to confirm their eligibility to work in the UK. If you wish to be employed at elections you would need to show originals of the following items:

A valid passport or a full birth certificate;
Plus
Proof of National Insurance number (e.g. P60, P45, payslip, correspondence from Inland Revenue, etc.)

These cannot be copies. If you are anxious about sending the items through the post you could call and book an appointment at your local Elections Office and take in your documents and at the same time register your interest in any election work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iain M For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
weaver33
Old 25-02-2010, 3:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Just an added thought to resurrect this thread...

How about traffic enumeration?...

I used to count cars for Hampshire County Council and got paid £90+ per 12 hr survey.

I think you contact the environment/traffic section of your local council.

Does anyone know of any other casual bank work for the council...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weaver33 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Nosht
Old 25-02-2010, 3:37 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I heard last week that the General Election is to be 6th. May.

N.
Never be afraid to take a profit.
Keep breathing.
Just because I am surrounded by FOOLS does not make me wise.
Closed Thread