Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > At the supermarket... official MoneySavingExpert.... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
At the supermarket... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 39,220
# 1
MSE Lawrence
Old 15-10-2007, 3:35 PM
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default At the supermarket... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion

This thread is now closed. There is a new one here.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca

------------------------------------

This is a special discussion as part of the

article, all about

Working at the supermarket

which is part of the Work, work, work section

Please feel free to add your comments, suggestions or questions

Just click reply

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 12-08-2013 at 4:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Little Pickle
Old 20-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default shelf stacking

Hi there anyone know if supermarkets still do night-time shelf stacking? and if so, is it minimum wage??
thanks!
LP
xox
# 3
tara28
Old 20-11-2007, 3:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

i work for asda and get just under 8 quid an hour
The Following User Says Thank You to tara28 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Shoey1610
Old 26-11-2007, 2:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

I'm thinking of working in a supermarket short term whilst I make a career change, I'm particularly looking at sainsburys as it is closest. Can anyone tell me what the shift times are, or are they flexible? Also any rough idea of wage?
# 5
Badger_Lady
Old 26-11-2007, 2:44 PM

I worked part-time at Tesco for several months before getting a promotion. The best way to find out about what's on offer is to ask in-store - they usually have a standard recruitment pack that they can give you, including leaflets describing the work and an application form. Tesco also have a short "personality" quiz (I spent some time marking these!).

The application pack I received was really quite generic, and was enough to get you in for an interview and discuss the hours / roles you'd be interested in / are available.

I think I had the ideal job - I did 7-10am on weekdays only (full-time job were happy for me to do 10am-6pm), and my job was to price goods up, mostly applying discounts to things.

It was very quiet at that time of the morning (low risk of bumping into colleagues) and I could go back in and buy all the bargains after my shift... My best buy was a batch of Seimens Poppy phones that had been marked down 60%, and I sold them on eBay for their original price!
Mortgage | 132,000
Unsecured Debt | 7,000 0
Lodgers | |

The Following User Says Thank You to Badger_Lady For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Shoey1610
Old 26-11-2007, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks, thats really helpful. I just need something to tide me over whilst I do some unpaid work experience so it sounds like it is definately going to be an option!
# 7
missim
Old 21-01-2008, 11:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I did temp night shift at Sainsbury, approx 7.50 an hour, good, but i'd reccommend for this shift a very local branch, mine was a bit of a trek which is no fun for this shift.
# 8
learning_to_drive
Old 21-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I worked at ASDA and Sainsburys (part time then full time) so can give advice if anyone needs anything.

ASDA nightshift is hard work, not that anyone is scared of it, but it's really hard going,

# 9
hacksawcats
Old 17-03-2008, 8:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default weekend work

Can anyone tell me if any of the supermarkets would be looking for someone who could only work weekends? and does anyone know how long the shifts are? Or does anyone have any ideas for work in the evening every other week? or evening weekend work (already got a part time job, but it's only every other week and I have my son to look after at weekends in the day) tks in advance.
# 10
Lou3000
Old 26-03-2008, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've worked in our local Co-op supermarket for 12 months. They pay 5.61 per hour - which of course is taxed! They do have 10% discount which is something, I suppose :confused: I work weekends but we don't get double-time, just normal rate.

The problem, I've found, with working in the supermarket is that very often we are short staffed. This being the case, it's rare for them to take on new staff who specify the times they prefer to work. The only thing I was able to choose was if I didn't want to work the late shift (1-10), but I've had to do it lots of times when we are short staffed.

Depends which supermarket you are lucky enough to work for, I suppose. Ours is the only supermarket in the area so it's a case of them or nothing. I have a friend who works at Tescos in Glasgow and she earns about 8 an hour - and her cost of living is half that of mine plus Tescos stuff is much cheaper. :confused: so her discount gets her even more for her money
I don't drink, don't smoke, don't go out - why aren't I rich?
Don't worry, I'm working on it!
# 11
debrag
Old 30-12-2008, 6:37 PM

Do suprmarkets usually advertise in store? I mean do they have a poster or board? I'm looking at evening/weekend work - after 6pm evenings, all day Sunday & afternoon/evening saturdays. Am I not being flexible?
Debts:
c3 = 639 ; c4 = 458 TOTAL = 1097
Defaults = drop off - 6 in 2015; 1 in 2016; 1 in 2017; 2 in 2018; 2 in 2019. Total = 12!
# 12
elliep
Old 31-12-2008, 11:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think your best bet is to go to your local store, or the one you want to work for. Ask at their customer service desk for an application. When you get in for interview then you an ask about your preferred work patterns ad remember that even if they offer you the job, if it isn't what you want then you don't have to take it.
# 13
Smamfer
Old 31-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Can i add also all supermarkets have their own websites and normally have a situations vacant area on their page covering all stores so may be worth a look
2012 Comp wins 1500

# 14
A new Start
Old 31-12-2008, 12:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Sainsburys

As far as I know all of Sainsburys store recruitment is done online now, so here's the link to the page from their site.

If you're not sure on the role leave it blank and it will show all vacancies in the store you've searched for.

https://access.sainsburys.co.uk/OA_H...fYBFRlYdlc9g..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A new Start For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Wang
Old 09-09-2009, 9:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Not all stores use on line recruitment - some use the job centre - but either way it's always a good idea to go in and ask, especially one of the personnell/management team - it can go a long way if you get an interview and they remember how keen you were.

In terms of supermarkets own websites, the advertised jobs are predominantly supervisory / management roles, unless it is a new store opening where mass recruitment is on the go.

Often being able to work weekends / evenings (as well as being available most days & at short notice) is an advantage - most of the full time staff prefer to work mon - fri & get weekends off, which can be a rare treat in retail.
# 16
moraystella
Old 28-10-2009, 8:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Why can't I find a second or third job?

Hi

I was very interested to reaqd about working at supermarkets at weekends

Where I used to live I had six jobs - yes really:

Main job in IT : 12-8
Cleaning jobs x 2 : 8-11 tuesday and wednesday
Shop : sat 7-1 and sunday 8-6
Farm: every day 4 am to 7 am and 9 pm to 10 pm
Petrol station : flexible hours between 7 am and 11 pm

and I had a young family

I also did babysitting

Having moved to Scotland three years ago I am finding it impossible to find a second job let alone a sixth!

I worked for a few months cleaning holiday cottages but that was seasonal

There seems to be no private cleaning

I have applied to every supermarket, shop and petrol station within 30 miles without success as well as factories such as Walkers and Baxters

I can find no adverts for babysitters

I have an excellent CV and references and loads of experience

My income is less than half of what it was and I am becoming further and further in debt

What am I doing wrong??

I would love some advice/suggestions :confused:
The Following User Says Thank You to moraystella For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
CLOSECALL
Old 31-03-2010, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I work for The Cooperative Group and I certainly do not get paid extra for working at the weekend, nor during the evening and do not get extra for working bank holidays
The Following User Says Thank You to CLOSECALL For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
babsbrian
Old 01-09-2010, 5:50 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

i have applied online quite a few times for job's in supermarkets can't even get an interveiw i think they look at my age ( 60 ) but i tell you i am a hard worker and not a slacker
The Following User Says Thank You to babsbrian For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
silentotter
Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I have just recently been made redundant and am considering apply to work in a supermarket. I have no experience of working in a supermarket as I have had mostly office jobs, would this stop me from getting a job in a supermarket?

Which supermarket is best to work for?
The Following User Says Thank You to silentotter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
rrr
Old 26-09-2010, 12:58 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

does any1 know how to get a job in a supermarket likeTESCO or ASDA, i never worked in a supermarket, the only place ive worked for is INDIAn Restaurant,im a uni student and would like to get a parttime supermarket job
The Following User Says Thank You to rrr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread