Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 5
  • Davella
    I just came across this website and wondered if anyone had heard of it...

http :// www. sell us your story. com (sorry for the broken up link I'm a forum newbie)

Is it legit? Would you use it, or contact mags/newspapers directly?

I have some adorable pictures of my cat, from over the last 5 years....wonder how many of them I can get published?
    • Corona
    • By Corona 14th Sep 13, 12:27 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    Corona
    Money problem page ?
    June/July time last year i was going through the recruitment process for a well known fast food chain beginning in 'M' and ending in 'cdonalds' for a business manager position, i received an email saying I'd got the job, confirmed I'd accept and travelled 200 miles to the head office, only to meet another richard harris (who was doing the same as me) where it was discovered that there'd been an error and i hadn't got the job yet as i hadn't finished the recruitment process, but richard number 2 had for a different area.

I never received any compensation for the travel, or leaving my current job and taking 2 months to get another. just kept being passed between departments and lawyers.

i was going to send the full story off a while back but didnt know how to go about it. any ideas?
    Originally posted by rharris118
    You could try a specific problem page where they will get fight to get your money back for you? The only one I know of is in the Observer (your.problems@observer.co.uk) - you can read similar letters at: http://www.theguardian.com/money/series/yourproblems (guardian and observer share a website these days). They seem to have a lot of success in reclaiming money owed. Hope this helps.
    • MontysMum22
    • By MontysMum22 16th Sep 13, 5:23 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 8,981 Thanks
    MontysMum22
    Hi, know its a while since you posted but I had an idea. There are loads of dog & cats calendars on the market if you googled dog calendars and approached any publishers listed with your pics they might be interested in buying them. The first one I came across was willowcreekpress.com. If you go to the bottom and click on About us and Submissions you can see their policy. They normally approach photographers themselves but go on to talk about set fees for one off submissions to them. They say they look for photos about March. They also publish dog books etc with pics. Theres bound to be lots of other publishers out there that do similar and why not try birthday card manufacturers too. Its also getting quite easy to make your own calendar up too. We made a charity one a few years ago uploading photos onto a calendar blank we found on web search. They sold really well at Christmas craft fayres, in church etc and maybe local friendly craft shops, post offices etc would stock some for you.

Good Luck
  • JimJim
    Can anyone answer these question I have, thank you in advance.

Are any of these sites any good or are there better ways does anyone have personal experience with them?

http://www.featureworld.co.uk/

http://www.talktothepress.co.uk/how-it-works

http://sellyourstoryuk.com/

Also does anyone have experience of this course and how would you rate it?

http://alison.com/courses/Writing-in-English

Thank you for the help and I have read through this thread before posting. The content above I found by search engine then decided to ask here.
  • Annie Other
    Following redundancy (early retirement and company pension luckily) I rediscovered my passion for photography. At first I just took photos without any real thought of making any money, then one day someone asked if they could buy a copy of one of them. This gave me the confidence to try to sell a few and during 2007 it's grown to the extent that I've sold 40 prints through various methods. These include my own web site, an Art Market, Craft Fairs and school events such as Summer Fairs etc. I've tried the usual greeting card/postcard thing but with no success.

At the start of the year I would never have imagined I would have sold so many prints, but I'm now keen to push on and do more selling. This helps to fund the inevitable new camera every so often

Any thoughts from anyone on how I can expand this, gratefully received.

Colin.

http://photography.colinrayner.org.uk
    Originally posted by cbr
    You might want to try printing your own calendar!
  • Annie Other
    we have been approached by 3 different agencies to sell our story and the best offer at the moment is £500 which we're happy with! We have a query though about whether this will be taxable income - can anyone help? signing a contract for exclusivity is involved.
    Originally posted by misscooldude
    This income can be classed as earnings, so yes it would be taxable. Whether you pay tax on it will depend on how much you earn in the tax year.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 4th Feb 14, 3:44 PM
    • 10,053 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    This income can be classed as earnings, so yes it would be taxable. Whether you pay tax on it will depend on how much you earn in the tax year.
    Originally posted by Annie Other
    The post you replied to is 5 years old!!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 4th Feb 14, 3:47 PM
    • 10,053 Posts
    • 8,127 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    You might want to try printing your own calendar!
    Originally posted by Annie Other
    And the post you're replying to here is well over 6 years old!
  • TiltedBrain
    I just came across this website and wondered if anyone had heard of it...

sell us your story. com (sorry for the broken up link I'm a forum newbie)

Is it legit? Would you use it, or contact mags/newspapers directly?

I have some adorable pictures of my cat, from over the last 5 years....wonder how many of them I can get published?
    Originally posted by Davella
    I have had positive experience with them. About a year back , i sold 50 pictures at a good price.
  • liannelee
    I have a story
    Hi I have a mental health/aspergers story to tell but I am unsure how to make money from it to fund something which will be explained in the story.

Can someone please help me with this ?
    • rawr123
    • By rawr123 23rd Jan 16, 5:18 PM
    • 232 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    rawr123
    we've always laughed at the fact the hotel my parents were going to get married at burnt down the day before the wedding! would it be worth seeing if this could get in a magazine?
    Thank you to everyone that posts on here

prizeless for a year
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 23rd Jan 16, 5:35 PM
    • 16,137 Posts
    • 59,973 Thanks
    mum2one
    About 20 yrs ago I had a true life story published in more I had £50 for that it was funny reading tree version name changes - add a bit of glitz, beat bit my then ex never realised it was about him!

In 2014 had a photo of me and dd in take a break - we got £50 for it x
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
    • FennecFox
    • By FennecFox 1st Aug 16, 5:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    FennecFox
    Hello,

This afternoon I witnessed a very angry delivery man smash a neighbour's parcel against a wall after writing out a 'sorry we missed you card'. I managed to get a film of it on my phone. I couldn't see exactly where he posted the card but I posted a note in the letterbox of who I believe the parcel was for, saying what I had witnessed and offering to send the video.

One of my initial thoughts was to write to a newspaper reporting the incident and I am posting for advice on whether that should be something I could do or on what action I should take up next. If anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

Best wishes!
    • A Phoenix of Tangerine
    • By A Phoenix of Tangerine 1st Aug 16, 7:08 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    A Phoenix of Tangerine
    Hello,

This afternoon I witnessed a very angry delivery man smash a neighbour's parcel against a wall after writing out a 'sorry we missed you card'. I managed to get a film of it on my phone. I couldn't see exactly where he posted the card but I posted a note in the letterbox of who I believe the parcel was for, saying what I had witnessed and offering to send the video.

One of my initial thoughts was to write to a newspaper reporting the incident and I am posting for advice on whether that should be something I could do or on what action I should take up next. If anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate it.

Best wishes!
    Originally posted by FennecFox
    Great idea, IMO! Did you get the name of the company he works for - did he have a uniform, or did you spot a branded works van? Offer it as a story to the papers / magazines, and if you have no luck how about posting it as a YouTube video warning against this courier in your postal area? (You could of course also report it to the chap's company - find a head office email address...)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

389Posts Today

2,899Users online

Martin's Twitter