Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 3
  • trixabelle100
    Hi there,

Couldn't help noticing your post and thought I'd stick my two penneth in with a few suggestions. I'm a freelance writer (used to staff on several national womens consumer titles before making the jump) and to be honest those writers bureau courses are a big waste of money. You mention that you have a health and fitness background and that you are probably a lot more qualified than the people you see writing in those cheap womens magazines - and yes you probably are, but the people you see writing are probably more qualified than you are to write and will have researched and consulted with experts before picking up a pen (I used to write and still continue to contribute to a range of womens titles - including the cheap womens titles - they pay well!) I'm not saying this to put you off, I'm saying it to try and help you and make you aware of the level of professionalism involved in these titles.

If you are interested in writing, then it's always best to start with what you know. So, go with the health and fitness angle - best thing to do is look at a number of titles you think you would be interested in writing for and try and have a look at what's missing. Then, when you've come up with a few ideas, get in touch with the features editor on each title and put together a pitch. Now, this is the important bit, and I'd say the same to anyone wanting to contact a publication with an idea - never give away the whole thing. Just write a few paragraphs on what you'd include and how, expert quotes etc and then file it. For anyone wanting to submit what we call real-life suggestions and are really keen to write it themselves (though i have to say, this is incredibly difficult and if you're not a professional chances are it will be given to their in house writers or freelancers because they will know things you possibly won't, such as what's legal as well as be more familiar with the house style).

Biggest tip on putting together a pitch is make sure you put the most exciting thing at the top. I was always told at journalism school, imagine you're sat next to the most boring man in the world on the bus, and you've got just a sentence to catch his attention and tell him the most amazing thing you've encountered - the same rule applies to a pitch.

You'll find features editor names in the publication, then either give them a call or email them - usually best to email a pitch though.

Hope that helps a bit and you make some cash soon!

Hey everyone.

I would really like to get into writing (yes i'm a big SATC fan) :rolleyes:

I've been looking at information on the internet about the writers bureau. It looks really good but of course there is a fee! which being a dfw I can't justify.

I have a health and fitness background and am a lot more qualified than there people you see writing in these cheap womens magazines about diet and exercise .

Can anyone tell me where to start??
    Originally posted by lauradora
    • emweaver
    • By emweaver 16th Feb 08, 10:44 AM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 184,218 Thanks
    emweaver
    Hi, i sent my daughters photo into a magazine and theyre publishing it. Shell get £25!
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • redballoon
    do you just comment on the headlines / story itsself?
  • StrawberryBex
    Easy Money!!
    Every week I looked at the cute baby & funny pics in Take a Break and thought what an easy way to make a £100. I had a really nice photo of my daughter (10months dressed as tigger with a tigger sitting next to her) e-mailed to them and bob's your uncle. The photo was printed in feb this year a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later.

If only they'd print one a week!
    Originally posted by helliecopter
    I was inspired by this story so I thought I would have a go at selling my story about the lovely way me and my boyfriend met through a car sale on Ebay! I emailed Pick Me Up the story and within an hour or two they rang me, confirmed the story and I got £150 for my short story!! Easiest £150 I have ever made, and it's really exciting! I thought nothing would really happen, thinking thousands of people must send in stories. It just goes to show - You never know until you try!
    Grab all that you can!!!
  • flippy178
    Guardian Family section
    Hi there

The Guardian publishes a Family section on Saturdays which pays £75 (I think) for small contributions about family life, one based around a family picture, one based around a recipe, and one based around a memorable day. I haven't done it myself but I've often thought it would be good for MSEers. I think you can also get paid for sending in a fictional letter to someone.

Also, on the back page of the Guardian magazine there is a weekly photo competition and you can win a camera. You don't even have to send a new photo, lots of people seem to send old ones in.

Good luck!

sorry if it's been in before, I did search but couldn't see it.
  • jamesaberry
    Soldiering On
    www.soldieringon.com

I have a story but I can't get any publishers interested - I'm sure someone would like to publish it as it's a very current topic!

If anyone knows anyone or is interested themselves then please message me!
  • donny osmonds mad fan
    an amazing touching story, can't believe publishers are not interested. Have you consider maybe appealing for one by going onto something like 'this morning' tv programme or say gmtv with lorraine kelly etc, to get it out there?

I lived at headley court for a few years, my ex husband was RAF and worked there, it is lovely grounds isnt it.

all the best and I hope you get something moving on the story aspect soon

Helen
    xx
  • flippy178
    Hi James

What about trying a local paper from where you grew up or where you live now? They are always looking for topical human interest stories. I live near Yeovil where lots of military families are based and I think the impact of the current military actions is really under reported.

If you want payment yourself then you would need to write it and then send it them - put "copyright" with your name on it. Otherwise they will just interview you. However, if you want to do a book, then getting an interview might alert a publisher to your story.

The father and son aspect of your story is really interesting and very moving.

Perhaps it might be better to put the diary entries on one long page like a blog rather than separate pages. It would be quicker and easier to read without clicking through lots of pages.

Hope this helps
  • feeling
    Dumb question, but where on the Sun's website do I send my stories in for this £10?!?
  • bonsibabe
    James, 100% respect for what you have been through, had a quick read. I loved the photos of paddy's day! Being from Inverness, and having met my DH whilst he was serving at the fort, it brought back some lovely memories of home. Good luck! xx
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 - 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
    • emweaver
    • By emweaver 6th Jul 08, 11:14 PM
    • 8,224 Posts
    • 184,218 Thanks
    emweaver
    Every week I looked at the cute baby & funny pics in Take a Break and thought what an easy way to make a £100. I had a really nice photo of my daughter (10months dressed as tigger with a tigger sitting next to her) e-mailed to them and bob's your uncle. The photo was printed in feb this year a cheque arrived a couple of weeks later.

If only they'd print one a week!
    Originally posted by helliecopter

I cant see on their website, how to submit a photo?
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
    • oligarch
    • By oligarch 8th Jul 08, 5:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    oligarch
    sellyourstory.org
    As a journalist I must say this nonsense about someone getting £5,000 is such an obvious plug for the site. I my experience anyone who lies like that from the beginning isn't worth the time of day. Are there no moderators on moneyexpert.com?
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 8th Jul 08, 7:02 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    As a journalist I must say this nonsense about someone getting £5,000 is such an obvious plug for the site. I my experience anyone who lies like that from the beginning isn't worth the time of day. Are there no moderators on moneyexpert.com?
    Originally posted by oligarch
    As a journalist, I'd have thought your spellchecking would be better... it's moneySAVINGexpert.com. Secondly, the moderators are here to get rid of abusive/illegal threads... not because something might, in your opinion, be wrong. I agree that the site listed seems dodgy, but a first post slagging off the moderating team here doesn't warm us to you particularly well. Go away and come back once you've learnt some netiquette.
  • whitevanwoman
    Hi all, I've written a couple of articles about my experiences of mental illness, one of which I sent in to a magazine of a national voluntary organisation of which I am a member and it was published last month. I didn't request a fee and one wasn't offered - I was simply pleased as punch that they thought it was worth publishing.

A couple of questions : can I publish the same article in another magazine for payment? Can anyone suggest any magazines or journals which might be interested in publishing articles about mental health issues for payment?

I enjoy writing and have been told that I write well (degree level education)and am seriously considering self-employment of some kind due to health problems which make it difficult to remain in employment so any advice regarding freelance writing particularly in the area of mental health would be much appreciated.
    The independent woman's checklist for success :
    1. Look like a lady, 2. Act like a man, 3. Work like a dog
    Life instructions : 1. Breathe in, 2. Breathe out, 3. Repeat ad infinitum
    2008 - £4k challenge member 063 gave up halfway thru, not sure I even earned that much, so probably achieved it :confused:
    • Wings of Ambition
    • By Wings of Ambition 7th Sep 08, 2:02 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,355 Thanks
    Wings of Ambition
    A bit random, but I went to a club night and filmed Dougie (from McFly) snogging Carol McGiffin (from Loose Women) on stage, and put the vid on YouTube. Channel 4 contacted me and asked if they could use it, so I said yes. Then the BBC contacted me asking the same thing, so I thought sod it and sent back a reply saying "Yes, the fee is £40 per transmission". Lo and behold, they came back and said they'd pay!!!

So if you have any good, and unique, footage of celebs, stick it on youtube, as the TV researchers do use the website to source clips. And don't be afraid to try and get as much out of them as possible. If they're paying these 'celebs' wadloads of money to be on their show, they can pay you for your clips!
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 9th Sep 08, 5:44 PM
    • 6,993 Posts
    • 17,187 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hi all, I've written a couple of articles about my experiences of mental illness, one of which I sent in to a magazine of a national voluntary organisation of which I am a member and it was published last month. I didn't request a fee and one wasn't offered - I was simply pleased as punch that they thought it was worth publishing.

A couple of questions : can I publish the same article in another magazine for payment? Can anyone suggest any magazines or journals which might be interested in publishing articles about mental health issues for payment?

I enjoy writing and have been told that I write well (degree level education)and am seriously considering self-employment of some kind due to health problems which make it difficult to remain in employment so any advice regarding freelance writing particularly in the area of mental health would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by whitevanwoman
    Normally you can't have an article published twice as far as I'm aware.

Mental health - I would imagine that many magazines would be interested, why don't you look at them at the newsagents and see which ones print similar items. I know that when I've looked at magazine directories and Writers and Artists yearbook, unless you've looked at hard copies yourself, it's easy to approach the wrong publisher, especially if they have a writing style that does not match your own.

You could get £5 per letter if you get published on the chat page of Cygnus books (mind body and spirit) magazine - and you have to look at the bottom of the page to see forthcoming topics. It's free to be a member and get their monthly magazines full of articles and reviews.
  • mellie_rosie
    I wouldn't mind selling pics and stories but I would want the nation to see me !!
    Has a job wooohooo"
  • gazzman140
    stories from my RN days.
    I have some stories I could write up for some of my experiences serving in the RN - on ships, submarines and shore establishments, but wouldn't know who to send to....
    Thanks!
  • misscooldude
    selling our story
    we have been approached by 3 different agencies to sell our story and the best offer at the moment is £500 which we're happy with! We have a query though about whether this will be taxable income - can anyone help? signing a contract for exclusivity is involved.
    • red devil
    • By red devil 16th Feb 09, 3:03 PM
    • 10,375 Posts
    • 7,722 Thanks
    red devil
    do you have to have pictures of yourself?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

9,135Users online

Martin's Twitter