Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 45
    • rickyroma
    • By rickyroma 21st Aug 13, 10:11 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    rickyroma
    I have started up an ironing service. I have realised there are no shops near me that have boards or spaces in the window for local businesses to advertise which is disappointing I have started putting leaflets through doors locally but find this a very slow process with no response yet.
    I just wondered where else I can best spread the word about myself.
    I am waiting to hear back from Yell to confirm I can be listed with them.
    I also have a website and a business facebook page but am not sure of the best way to promote them locally. Any ideas?
  • cary83
    Help
    Hi,

Iam starting a personal ironing service in home just covering my town on weekends but Iam very confused about the prices that I should charge. I what to provide a good service to my costumers but that I can afford as well.

Can someone have a look on my prices, and give your opinion about, or suggestions?
    • Adult Items:£0.80 / Item
    • Children's at 12 Years: £0.50 / Item
    • Bedding and Household: Between £1.20 - £1.50/ Item
    • FREE Pickup & Delivery (Just covering the town area)
    • £2 OFF on First order ( minimum 15 Items )
    • Minimum Charge: £10
    • I also offer £3 OFF in accounts over £50 monthly
  • cary83
    Hi,

Iam starting a personal ironing service in home just covering my town on weekends but Iam very confused about the prices that I should charge. I what to provide a good service to my costumers but that I can afford as well.

Can someone have a look on my prices, and give your opinion about, or suggestions?
    • Adult Items:£0.80 / Item
    • Children's at 12 Years: £0.50 / Item
    • Bedding and Household: Between £1.20 - £1.50/ Item
    • FREE Pickup & Delivery (Just covering the town area)
    • £2 OFF on First order ( minimum 15 Items )
    • Minimum Charge: £10
    • I also offer £3 OFF in accounts over £50 monthly
  • leese16
    Is there anyone here that would be interested in a professional ironing service in Nottingham. I have years of experience having worked in a dry cleaners and launderette previously however I am now looking to start my own ironing business from home.

I provide a fast, professional service with clothes either folded or hung in poly roll wrapping as requested for only £3 per kg.

I offer free collection and delivery with text confirmation of price and delivery time.

If this is something you might be interested in then please feel free to message me.
  • poshstock66
    Hi, ive just been asked by a friend to do a weekly iron for friends of here's but have no idea of a price. could anyone help....? have read some of the post here and thinking to charge £12.50 - £15 a black bin bag, or 50p per item?? cant decide

I love to save money
  • alfamedio
    web site
    good idea will setup website for ex. joannasironing.co.uk
    • Sarny
    • By Sarny 2nd Jun 14, 10:11 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Sarny
    Without a van - and a car such as a mondeo , how is best to transport stuff like shirts ?

What do you guys do for hangers , also how many poly bags do you get in a roll ?
    • mitch3473
    • By mitch3473 26th Jun 14, 6:36 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mitch3473
    My good lady is thinking of starting an ironing service in a semi rural sort of area.The area in question has a high percentage of tourist accommodation as well as a more stable client base. There is,according to figures,about a 12,000 population within a 10 mile radius.The question is,has anyone been involved in this sort of business and if so what population/how many chimney pots would be needed to make it a viable proposition.
    Originally posted by mitch3473

Ok, so nearly 12 months on and a progress report,of sorts.
    Officially started april 6th and after buying a vacuum heated board and steam boiler, and all the parafinalia,posting leaflets and cards in shops and notice boards,Yell.com etc etc not much happened.All the figures added up but still nothing. Then I got talking to the owner of the local golf club and shortly after that,another potential client.They both asked if I could do the whole nine yards.....wash,dry,iron,fold and in some cases itemised in sets. We realised we had missed something and there was only one well established firm in the area.The feedback we got about this firm was not good,I suppose they could afford to be complacent. We quickly changed tack and bought a new washing machine with 30 minute wash and high speed spin,a cheapish tumble dryer and a Blanca press. There was a large gap in the market for servicing B&Bs,hotels,holiday parks etc etc which we had totally overlooked. We now have 2 washing machines,2 tumble dryers and 2 Blanca presses and have just converted the garage into a sort of micro laundry and collect and deliver 2 days a week in general.We have just sold the original iron and board,it was hardly used and are looking at a rotary iron. We did however shoot ourselves in the foot again....we did a mailshot to 400 businesses within a 20 miles radius which produced good results but no real orders.I had inadvertently rushed a pricing structure to a good client and then used that as the basis not realising that my prices were far to high.Too high to even tempt the unsatisfied customers from the other firm.That was quickly addressed and things are doing OK
  • little-ms
    How do I charge for laundry?
    Hi I already do ironing but one of my customers has asked me to do her washing as well. How did I charge? At the moment I charge per hr but surly I can't charge for the time its in the washing machine and dryer can I? Or is it best just to charge per weight?
    Would love to hear how other people charge.
    Thank you
  • sophiec1991
    starting out
    hi i am in desperate need of advice,

I am a single mother at home with my two young children, I am looking to do an ironing/cleaning/dog walking service, to do around the hours that they are at nursery.

Is there anything I need to do or put in place before starting this or is it just as easy as advertising?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 17th Aug 14, 3:06 PM
    • 9,416 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Hi I already do ironing but one of my customers has asked me to do her washing as well. How did I charge? At the moment I charge per hr but surly I can't charge for the time its in the washing machine and dryer can I? Or is it best just to charge per weight?
    Would love to hear how other people charge.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by little-ms
    Factors to consider :

Time taken loading/unloading washing machine (and tumble dryer if applicable).

Electricity and water cost.

Wear and tear on wm and td.

Cost of detergent/conditioner.

The above costs may seem insignificant for a single wash, but if this is one wash a week, then that's 50 a year.
  • sophiec1991
    We started a ironing service over 5 years ago its been nothing but hassle with people claiming that we have lost things and burnt them (which we obvioulsy have not) but we luckily took out insurance to cover these situations which isn't cheap. It did start as part time now we work from 5am till 9pm monday to friday and we also collect the ironing on a sunday. The phone never stops ringing even on a sunday morning at 8:30am!
    Some people actually send their stuff not washed (gas mask time)
    the only other thing i can think of you doing to get more work is advertise in a local newsletter.
    But do be careful if you are stepping on other ironing services toes they won't appreciate it and might try to cause trouble.
    Good luck
    Stephb x
    Originally posted by Stephb1986
    hi steph was just wondering how did you start it? was there anything that needed putting in place? im looking tio start one round my local area and dont even know where to begin
  • nobrot3473
    Ok, so nearly 12 months on and a progress report,of sorts.
    Officially started april 6th and after buying a vacuum heated board and steam boiler, and all the parafinalia,posting leaflets and cards in shops and notice boards,Yell.com etc etc not much happened.All the figures added up but still nothing. Then I got talking to the owner of the local golf club and shortly after that,another potential client.They both asked if I could do the whole nine yards.....wash,dry,iron,fold and in some cases itemised in sets. We realised we had missed something and there was only one well established firm in the area.The feedback we got about this firm was not good,I suppose they could afford to be complacent. We quickly changed tack and bought a new washing machine with 30 minute wash and high speed spin,a cheapish tumble dryer and a Blanca press. There was a large gap in the market for servicing B&Bs,hotels,holiday parks etc etc which we had totally overlooked. We now have 2 washing machines,2 tumble dryers and 2 Blanca presses and have just converted the garage into a sort of micro laundry and collect and deliver 2 days a week in general.We have just sold the original iron and board,it was hardly used and are looking at a rotary iron. We did however shoot ourselves in the foot again....we did a mailshot to 400 businesses within a 20 miles radius which produced good results but no real orders.I had inadvertently rushed a pricing structure to a good client and then used that as the basis not realising that my prices were far to high.Too high to even tempt the unsatisfied customers from the other firm.That was quickly addressed and things are doing OK
    Originally posted by mitch3473

Slight change of log in details....

Anyway, we bought a second hand Miele rotary press off Gumtree and it was one of the best buys ever. Sold one of the Blanca presses and I've used it for about 2 months and have just up graded to a new Pfaff (ex demonstator)with speed control and on demand steam. Keeping the old one as spare just in case. A great piece of kit if you're doing loads of pillows, sheets and duvet covers. Does over £50 of laundry an hour.
    Had to replace a washing machine, wasn't worth repairing it as large pieces of it showered the floor on a fast spin. Bought a newish one for £130, a supplier return, from a dealer locally. These machines have nothing wrong with them (???) and are returned because they may be the wrong colour, damaged in some way or a change of order.
    Things starting to slow down a little now as the main holiday season has finished but still busy. Looking at marketing over the quiet season in preparation for next year.
    • saker75
    • By saker75 10th Nov 14, 7:03 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    saker75
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but having looked for local ironing services I may had some advice (we'll see!):

• Considering that most people have an iron and an ironing board, there aren't so many people offering the service (I'm in London commuter territory).
    • Many use the free websites that get out of date really quickly and show incorrect contact details.
    • Some only want existing customers (fine, but why continue to advertise?)
    • The target audience for advertising seems very much aimed at the busy Mum rather than the time limited professional.
    • Prices per item are much more transparent than by weight.
    • About a third of those I contacted were on maternity leave! Must be something in the water.
    So, if you have a head for marketing and can put the resource in, there is definitely a gap for more professional outfits.

And there is a demand. If you pursue it, best wishes.
  • Duckybrown
    Ironic ironing service kings lynn
    I have found a great ironing company in the kings lynn/Swaffham/Fakenham area. Visit ironicironingservice.co.uk they are very professional and really friendly.
  • tori _93
    New to all this. My mum is looking to start her own ironing service and where is the best place to get info about paying tax etc as she already works full time.
    • bikerjoe83
    • By bikerjoe83 29th Oct 15, 1:32 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bikerjoe83
    I'd like to reanimate this thread if possible, bringing it to 2015.

I'd like to start an ironing service in my area - it needs one. I'm fine with the business/tax side of things because I'm already self-employed. But what I'm looking for advice on is the logistics and finer details, which I hope someone who's already got an ironing business can help with (not in my town obviously ):

1) What garment covers do you use and where do you get them from? Do you use one large size for everything? Is buying online cheaper?
    2) How do customers prefer to receive the returned ironing? What do you return folded items in so they don't move about or come unfolded in the car? Do you just return hung items straight off a rack in the back of the car/van?
    3) Do you have a specific type of iron and board you use? Do I need a commercial set up or is a good iron and decent board good enough?

I imagine a lot of customers will have typical wash loads to iron - mixed shirts, tops, trousers, jumpers, towels etc. I imagine folding/hanging would be typical of what I would fold/hang when doing my own ironing.

I'm just trying to gauge what customers would expect when I return their ironing. Obviously it's important to cover garments to protect from weather when returning etc. But would they be shocked to see me carrying their hung items by the hanger hooks, or draped over an arm etc? Would they mind their folded stuff being returned in a suitable clean storage box? Or would they expect me to wheel the rail to their front door and have their folded items carefully wrapped and stacked finished off with a ribbon?

I've done some online research but a lot of smaller business are lacking photos or reviews so I can't even get a basic image of how others do it.
    • julie1000
    • By julie1000 5th Nov 15, 10:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    julie1000
    Hi, ive just had a baby and am hoping to stay home and work, i love ironing and have done some for people in the past as favors but would love to start getting paid for it now. Would love some help on what i need to do to get it started so that its a success.
    • Vivp
    • By Vivp 13th Nov 15, 5:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vivp
    Ironing business
    Does anyone iorn from home, I've been working for ironing company but the cut iam getting is not great considering how much I iron, I was looking at starting myself up but can't afford a van but do have a people carrier how can I hang clothes in a car.
    • Lube
    • By Lube 13th Nov 15, 5:15 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 902 Thanks
    Lube
    Big thread below

Start an ironing service... official MoneySavingExpert.com discussion ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,480Posts Today

9,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin