Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 45
    • SueP19
    • By SueP19 8th Jan 16, 12:06 PM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 14,483 Thanks
    SueP19
    I did this back in 1996 for 18 months when my DD was 4. I made a reasonable amount each week from it, ironing for City Barristers amongst others

Tips

1. Get the very best iron you can, a cheapie from Arg*s will not cut it
    2. Have a set working timetable, helps on planning as working from home can mean that others see you as available.
    3. Charge by the weight (you can buy hand held scales that have hooks on) This means both you and your customer know the agreed price before leaving
    4. Have a set turnaround time, that way your customer know when to expect their precious linen back
    5. Approach restaurants, you will be cheaper than professional laundries, so they will want you.
    6 Return the ironed items in large plastic boxes, great for stacking in the car and keeps the wee darlings shirts neat (reduces risk of creasing after ironing) Best way to stack is neck on outside, next shirt facing the other way
    7 Learn to fold a proper shirt, there is nothing better than returning a lovely pile that looks as though they have just been newly bought (also makes stacking easier)
    8 Always always give a receipt
    9 Advertise, local paper shops, mums groups
    10 Be professional, this is not a friend doing favours

Finally and most importantly take care of your neck, there is one thing to do ironing at home for 2 hours but it's a whole new ball game ironing for 8 hours for a client

Good Luck
    Last edited by SueP19; 08-01-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    MFiT-T4 #57 £300/£20,000 MFW 2016 #53 £300/£4,800
    Mort Oct 15 £70,353 £66,422 MF Dec 31 Jun 31(191 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt May 09 £30,217Jan 16 £17,734
    Tilly Tidy #1 £50.55/£250
    • pinki261
    • By pinki261 29th May 16, 10:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pinki261
    Fully Cleaning Service - Home & Office NEW / CHEAP
    Prices are different in Fully Cleaning Service : Homes & Offices Professional Ironing - £ 1.00 per adult iteam / £ 0.50 per baby iteam / £ 5.00 Suits - ladies / mens ( 2piece ) / Free collection and delivery in order over £ 15.00
    However, the prices are different in the region , this company is located in Bicester , Oxfordshire . Elsewhere, prices may be different.

But im not sure what is better charged per iteam or charged per wejght / kilo ?
    • Tanarif
    • By Tanarif 29th May 16, 1:28 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Tanarif
    I used to do the ironing for my parents!
    Nice little £5 a week pocket money.

It's nice to see people can do this on a huge scale though and make big money.
    • spob
    • By spob 31st May 16, 8:24 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    spob
    Do get a facebook page for your business - and post about it on local spotted pages - has always worked very well for me.
    • emsybaby
    • By emsybaby 12th Jun 16, 8:04 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    emsybaby
    Just started a cleaning company and wondered about this. Is it actually profitable just doing it for individuals rather than business?

Holiday in Jan, OH starting a business, looking for employment, luck required!
    • mitch3473
    • By mitch3473 13th Jun 16, 10:59 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mitch3473
    For anybody seriously thinking of doing a bit of ironing, think outside the box. Businesses in the accommodation / tourist trade have loads of linen and it's good, solid, relatively easy repeat work as opposed to the small fiddling jobs from private individuals. Most however require the whole shooting match, wash, dry, iron, fold and deliver. With the right equipment, marketing and effort excellent profits can be made. The market sits inbetween the Mrs Mop operations and the bigger commercial outfits.
    • beckieeeee89
    • By beckieeeee89 14th Nov 16, 10:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    beckieeeee89
    How did everyone go about registering their business? i am wanting to set one up but im a bit unsure on whether to register as a sole trader with IR or as a Ltd??? ltd looks better but do i need a solicitor/accountant or can i manage it all on my own? can i write my own t & c's or do i have to get it professionally written up? thanks in advance
    • emilycrossley
    • By emilycrossley 3rd Jan 17, 11:59 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    emilycrossley
    hi, i know you're post was from a while back, but im wondering how you have got on with your ironing company since your post?

I'm looking to set up my own ironing company, as i have money to invest, but i dont know whether it will be profitable.

There is so much tough competion in the area, but nevertheless every ironing shop is always so busy.

Do you have any other advise? How did you begin to get large customer base going?
    • erica5
    • By erica5 10th Jan 17, 12:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    erica5
    Ironing
    I have just printed posters off to start my own ironing company up from home to earn some more money so far I haven't had anyone contact about it . I am in living in the Doncaster area any advice
    • sonata26
    • By sonata26 6th Feb 17, 2:20 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sonata26
    ironing business
    Hi there. I've started doing ironing in my house quite while ago now and it's great. I get quite busy at times but I have to advertise more I think and to take things a bit further. I don't have any website yet or anything. Do you think is it worth to get this? What about the leaflets to people's door?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 6th Feb 17, 4:24 PM
    • 9,291 Posts
    • 7,220 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I have just printed posters off to start my own ironing company up from home to earn some more money so far I haven't had anyone contact about it . I am in living in the Doncaster area any advice
    Originally posted by erica5
    Do you quote prices? Are you competitive? Are the posters displayed in the right areas/places to attract potential custom?
    • helzbelz_57
    • By helzbelz_57 9th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    helzbelz_57
    For those who do a collection and delivery service, do you have a set schedule for collecting/delivering? E.g. Between 8 and 10am you do collections and deliveries then work during the day then another collection/delivery run in the evening? Do most customers want a set schedule like Thisbe or do you find people want you to be able to pick up/drop off throughout the day?
    "it's better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick" - my dad, regularly throughout my childhood when I complained about something being too small/not perfect/not tasty/not what I wanted. he was right every time.
    • sarahsays
    • By sarahsays 9th Jun 17, 10:18 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    sarahsays
    Hi, I used an ironing service for several years, especially when my children were small and I was busy with work - this was quite a few years ago now but the first lady charged 30p for each piece of toddler clothes and 50p for a piece of adult clothing - once the children were about 8 - 10 years old, she would have charged adult prices for their clothes. I left the clothes off at her house and then went back for them, as she didn't drive. She then moved on to working outside the home and the second lady also did it at her house but she collected and dropped it back off again - I think the price was around 60 - 70p per item by then. I found it was best for me for the ironing to be collected and dropped off again in the evenings, as I was out at work all day. I would make sure we hadn't run out of all ironed clothes or keep some back to do myself, as it wasn't always convenient for the ironer to collect straight away, although she usually would come by the next one or two evenings and was very quick to finish it - within a day. I would always get about £25 - £30 worth done at the one time, so it would be worth her while to call. I would supply hangers for most of the clothes and they would be returned on these with a black plastic bin bag hung over about a dozen items with the hangers poking out of the top. Surplus items would be folded. I found this service to be brilliant, especially for husband's shirts.

I found the ironing service I used through an advert in the local paper but maybe flyers on car windscreens or through letterboxes might help?
    Last edited by sarahsays; 09-06-2017 at 10:22 PM.
    • mitch3473
    • By mitch3473 17th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mitch3473
    Dont put a time down but give them a window of time. Once you have a run built up your clients will know roughly when you are arriving. You only need a new customer 15 minutes out of your way and your whole schedule will go out of the window.
    Get their phone numbers just in case and give them a business card, a quick call just to tell them you might be late works wonders and a quick call to tell them you're on your way saves a wasted journey if they are out. A lot of customers will text you anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin