Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 5
  • AWMedia
    Hi all, I'm interested in taking in foreign exchange students for extra income, I work part-time and am based in a great East London location (Bethnal Green), I have a two bedroom flat and currently live alone.

Can anyone suggest a good company I could approach for this?

• amc1
    • By amc1 8th Jun 15, 9:51 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Hi, long-term or short-term hosting ? Are you looking to do this for company or to try and make some additional income ?
  • AWMedia
    Hi, it's for short-term, additional income.

Any suggestions?
    • Host Families
    • By Host Families 18th Sep 15, 1:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Host Families
    The most important factor in becoming a home stay family is that you can provide a safe and welcoming environment for our clients. For many of our guests this may be their first time visiting the UK or traveling without their parents, therefore getting their accommodation right is key to providing a great experience.
    If you:

• Can provide short term accommodation
    • Enjoy experiencing different cultures
    • Are willing to open up your home and provide a ‘home from home’
    • Like meeting new people
    • Want to earn some extra cash
    Then you could become a host family, and we’d like to hear from you!
    • datcymru81
    • By datcymru81 22nd Jan 16, 4:15 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Advice/views wanted on Hosting students
    Want to ask the board on hosting foreign students.

Is it realistic to request higher payments for hosting your property, than what the school advertise as standard?

I am considering hosting my property as I have been letting out rooms for many years, to the domestic residential lodger as a private accredited live in landlord. Looking at the new legislation & licensing in wales 2016. The rise in risk today on the residential market, over disputes, unpaid rent, individual liabilities & evictions is becoming a greater concern for those looking at letting a room for a second income.

I have spoken with a school already and have made it clear I would want to negotiate a higher rate that what they advertise, which has come as a surprise to them.

I am interested to know what people think as the going rate is standard across the board on what these schools pay in Cardiff, over 18+ £85 to £130 week (food options) However the difference in location, property and host is massive. Is it unreasonable for the schools to reject higher payments from prospective students when they work on the same commission percentage.

Comparing my property to another host on their books. I find it surprising how you can justify the same payment on a property worth 100k vs 350k offering a bedroom of 6x6 vs 18x14 looking at a property with walking distance to the school or travelling ten miles away. Amongst many other reasons of comparing the market options available to students

Is it unreasonable and unrealistic to expect a variation of 130/200 per week by asking for higher payments when students are clearly getting more for their exchange. They are after all paying for their experience to come to the U.K to learn English. Surely having the option of standard vs premier property would be applicable, or does this encourage abuse in charges and open to unscrupulous individuals and schools to take advantage.

Have read some great posts offering advice on this subject on hosting, has anyone had the experience of requesting more because the property and experience/service provided ie (TEFL qualify Host) vs non qualified can warrant this price variation.

I would expect to stipulate what I feel its worth based on what standards I would set on the experience. I understand that this question is monetary based, I am considering this option for other reasons too. Experience for my TEFL training, interaction with other cultures and asset my language studies to a point.

Let me know, Thanks for reading.
    • CatherineMellor
    • By CatherineMellor 27th Jan 16, 10:16 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lingoo - Taking in foreign exchange students
    I think acting as a host family is a wonderful job and you get to meet so many different people from many different walks of life, when they bring their culture into your home, it is always so interesting, a job that is fun to do! I always advertise my host family services on Lingoo - they are a great help and it is always a smooth process with them!
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 2nd Mar 16, 4:19 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Lodgers or Hosts
    I am drawn to your first paragraph, where you seem to be reluctant to carry on being a live in landlord.

The allowance is just being increased from £4200 per annum to £7500 per annum from April 2016. If you are concerned about non payment of rent, disputes etc, stick to University Students. The rent is always paid and the parents are guarantors. there are many websites that give advice eg theaccidentallandlady.

I have never heard of any Host getting more money because their accommodation was more salubrious. The fees are set and non negotiable. If you want more, have more persons staying.
    • rajadazz
    • By rajadazz 2nd Apr 16, 10:24 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    If you have the room, I don't see why not. You don't have to ask your landlords permission if you have friends staying over so why would this be different? The money you receive is little more than board money.

Of course you would be responsible to the landlord if any damage was caused to the property.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Unfortunately, if you are not owning the property and decide to use your spare room for hosting students for cash, this is classed as sub letting. You need to refer to your tenancy contract as most contracts will not allow the premises to be sub-let. So if the landlord finds out, you might get into trouble. That said, if this is on a short term basis, e.g. 2 weeks etc., you might get away with it
    • Miles Carter
    • By Miles Carter 21st Jun 16, 9:06 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Miles Carter
    Homestay for students
    For all those planning on studying abroad like me I would sincerely recommend web sites that don't charge you for allowing students choose the best option of homestay. An example of that would be a web site such as which offers a service of exchange, hosting or even be a guest in some local’s home. The idea is that all parties can benefit from a service based on learning languages, not economical profit, that's why becoming a host or a guest can be a great opportunity to meet new people and learn their native language.
    • ejma
    • By ejma 9th Aug 16, 8:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    update on exchange students
    Hi can anyone give me any up to date information on exchange students?

How you go about it ext

• TheMsTeal
    • By TheMsTeal 15th Oct 16, 4:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Can't they all come as "EU citizens" now and get accom all paid anyway? (For the time being...)
    • algeriatech
    • By algeriatech 15th Oct 16, 9:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thank you very much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,201Posts Today

8,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LondonMudlark: Just found by eye on the Thames foreshore. Roman coin, beautiful condition. I'm a very happy Mudlark #londonmudlark http?

• RT @NHSMillion: If everyone who thinks the NHS is worth fighting for follows & RTs we'd reach a million in no time & have such a strong col?

• Very tense this test match. Great listening on 5 live sport #ENGvBAN

• Follow Martin