Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Dudleydave
    • By Dudleydave 18th Dec 17, 11:34 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Is this a letter before court?
    • 18th Dec 17, 11:34 PM
    Is this a letter before court? 18th Dec 17 at 11:34 PM
    I know I am probably going to get a slapped wrist here and accused of not reading previous threads/advise but I really have and have to admit Iím still confused as to which stage of proceedings Iím at, and more importantly what to do next. To cut the old long story short, a few months ago I received a parking charge from NCP stating I was parked longer than I paid for, my excuse? I had to go to a nearby cafe to get change for the machine as my card wouldnít work, the machines fault or my card I do not know, then I paid what I thought was the maximum amount available but still managed to be slightly late returning apparently. Anyway rightly or wrongly Iíve not responded to that or the two subsequent letters (mistake now I fear) It has now reached the stage that I have just received the letter below from gladstones. The amount they want from me now is an extortionate £170. Any advise as to the best way to respond to this would be very much appreciated. Letter as follows: You have previously been written to requesting settlement of a parking charge.
    Due to the absence of of payment or a valid appeal against the charge, our client has instructed us to recover the total amount
    due to them as shown above. As all other attempts have failed, our client may now instruct us to take legal action against you in the county County Court. To prevent such action, we invite you to make payment immediately.
    In order to avoid any further action
    You should pay the full amount outstanding within 14 days
    You can make payment online at or by calling 0333 0230 049.
    it is important that you understand that if judgment is registered against you then this could seriously
    affect your chances of obtaining credit in the future as this information can be made available to any
    interested parties via the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines, and will remain there for 6 years.
    If you are unsure about anything contained within this letter, you should seek advice from a solicitor or
    contact one of the following organisations who may be able to help you:
    Yours sincerely,
    Gladstones Solicitors
Page 2
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 5th Mar 18, 1:33 PM
    • 6,081 Posts
    • 4,967 Thanks
    If you post on your thread it will instantly move to the top of the thread list.

Have you not noticed that?
    • Dudleydave
    • By Dudleydave 9th Mar 18, 5:36 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Advice please
    Hi All,

Before I submit my response letter above I was hoping someone may kindly offer any advice/guidance or suggestions on my draft for me please?

Many thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 54,771 Posts
    • 68,448 Thanks
    Yep looks OK, a claim is inevitable but winnable (another Gladstones case was won on here today).

A couple of things to amend here, get rid of the first sentence I crossed out:

Thank you for your letter of xxxx.

My reference: XXXXXXXXX

With reference to your Letter Before Claim.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Dudleydave
    • By Dudleydave 10th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sorry last duplicate post in error. Thank you Coupon mad
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Mar 18, 6:08 PM
    • 6,081 Posts
    • 4,967 Thanks
    Feel free to delete any duplicate posts.

Click on the Edit button then delete, then follow your nose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter