Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BKflyer
    • By BKflyer 18th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    BKflyer
    British Airways made me pay twice for a flight change - can't get my money back
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:29 PM
    British Airways made me pay twice for a flight change - can't get my money back 18th Dec 17 at 7:29 PM
    Hello all

***summary: 18 months fighting for a double charge to be refunded, can I get legal fees / small claims court costs repaid if I take BA to small claims court?***

Detail:
    About 18 months ago I was flying home to UK, and had to change my flight. I changed it over the phone with BA and paid over the phone. The money came out of my account and I got a confirmation email about the change.

When I turned up to check in, I was informed my flight was not confirmed as I had not paid the change fee. I showed them my online bank account at the check-in desk showing the money paid to BA on the day I made the change, as well as the transaction ID, but they did not accept it. As the UK help team was closed at the time (it was 3am UK time), I had to pay again.

Since then I've been in a battle with them to get the money back.

So far I've had 4 rounds of being promised a refund "next week" by the refunds team verbally over the phone, only to check my account a few months later and no refund. Then I call them again and they (a) can't find my booking, (b) eventually find it and say "oh more information is needed".

Then it's the same information. I give them the transaction dates and IDs, it gets "approved for refund next week", then the cycle continues. This has happened 4 times. The customer service team seems to not care, they reply with a "contact the refunds team this is not our department", but I'm only contacting the CS team to raise a complaint.

3 weeks ago another 1 hour 15 min call and they "escalate it to the highest level", and "approve the refund", despite being asked to send in bank statements (even though they already have the transaction IDs and have verbally approved the refund 3 times before). Even still, I emailed in the bank scan to the email given as I was sure it wouldn't be processed. The email address writes back the next day saying "this isn't the refunds team", despite the refunds team giving me the email address!

Then a few days ago the refunds team writes to me again, asking for bank account scans. They didn't tell me how to send it in to them, because the email is for sending out only!!!

This is despite the refund being approved for the 4th time in early December.

It just goes on and on and on.

So:

1) can I start a small claims case against them? And if I do, can I apply for any legal expenses reclaim, including the cost of the small claim application?

2) is it the financial Ombudsman to complain to? Or is there a specific travel one?

3) they've given me some Avios, but quite a pitiful amount considering maybe 3 hours on the phone, having to search bank account/transactions IDs all the time, empty promises etc. How can I get more compensation off them?
Page 1
    • BKflyer
    • By BKflyer 18th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BKflyer
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:36 PM
    Just spent another 30 mins on hold to their CS team while typing the first thread out, no answer!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 18th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 3,822 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 7:52 PM
    Twitter, Facebook

?
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 19,110 Posts
    • 10,289 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 18th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    Write to the CEO..
    • photome
    • By photome 18th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 12,893 Posts
    • 8,376 Thanks
    photome
    • 18th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 8:16 PM
    Another vote for trying social media, usually gets results fast
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 18th Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 18th Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 8:40 PM
    Hi

Try posting on https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/

I think there is a BA representative on that forum - but also a lot of experts who might know what to do.

How much are we talking about?

Thanks Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 19,140 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    • 19th Dec 17, 10:34 AM
    How did you make the second payment, did you use a card? If so then a claim against your card issuer might have worked, but the fact that 18 months has passed may well mean you are of time to do that now.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 19th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 10,190 Posts
    • 5,847 Thanks
    CIS
    • 19th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 7:51 PM
    ***summary: 18 months fighting for a double charge to be refunded, can I get legal fees / small claims court costs repaid if I take BA to small claims court?***
    If you win then you can receive your court fees, your own litigation fee if you're acting for yourself and any court costs - these are at the discretion of the court however and they can vary it. Obviously any damages etc are on top but fees etc are deliberately restricted for small claims.

Before you can use the small claims court you would be expected to have tried to resolve the situation and give the defendant a reasonable period of notice that you intend to take legal action - this should be at least 14 days notice. If there's an ombudsman then they'd expect you tried that route first before taking legal action, unless you have good reason for not using them.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • BKflyer
    • By BKflyer 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BKflyer
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    Twitter, Facebook

?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Thanks - just started tweeting about BA and about this issue. Will see what happens

BA Got rated 40th best airline this year - HA!

Called them again today and my reference number has been deactivated since they say that I've not contacted them since September, even though I've had 10 emails and 5 phone calls with them.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Jan 18, 4:45 PM
    • 12,893 Posts
    • 8,376 Thanks
    photome
    Thanks - just started tweeting about BA and about this issue. Will see what happens

Called them again today and my reference number has been deactivated since they say that I've not contacted them since September, even though I've had 10 emails and 5 phone calls with them.
    Originally posted by BKflyer
    You had advice to use social media around the 18th dec and you have just started?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 10th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7,788 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    pmduk

That was 40th out of 39 airlines!
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 10th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    • 1,821 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    isplumm

Did you post on flyer talk as I suggested a month ago?

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 11,705 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Did you post on flyer talk as I suggested a month ago?

Mark
    Originally posted by isplumm
    The Op has a post on FT. It's not a month old though.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1887462-british-airways-made-me-pay-twice-flight-change-can-t-get-my-money-back.html
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin