Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 492800 18th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 93Thanks
    Richer sounds missold a 5year warranty
    • 18th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    Richer sounds missold a 5year warranty 18th Dec 17 at 12:36 PM
    More a bit of a rant really as Im quite disappointed with Richer Sounds.

I've used them a fair few times through the past 20 years and always liked them.

But.... 5 years ago I bought a TV from a shop in Liverpool Street, London and at the time the eager salesman said i could take out the warranty and if I didn't use it at all over 5 years i could get my money back. he showed me the signs in store so it seemed legit!

I'm not the kind of guy who gets warranties as they are usually pointless or impossible to claim on but this was a no brainer, so i took what he said at face value. Silly me.

So I bought the warranty and set a reminder in my calendar to remind me every year for 5 years. saved my receipt, screenshot the information and stashed it all away.

5 years is up, and i went back to a Richer sounds shop and they say that TVs have never had the money back warranty, it was only hi-fi's that can have that coverage, and that i must have been accidentally missold it.

Well thats a bit cack isn't it, and reading on the web it seems this to have happened a fair few times. To say i'm disappointed in them, and also in myself for believing the sales man is a right understatement!!

So, everyone shopping there, best beware of some undertrained staff that may get you to buy someone you don't need under false pretences just so they can get the commission!!
    --- Hitting the thanks button as often as is needed ---
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 18th Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 6,418 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 18th Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    • 18th Dec 17, 12:43 PM
    So they said youd probably been missold it but then didnt go further than that?

Have you put an actual complaint in?
    Don't be angry!
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 19th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 388 Posts
    • 345 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 19th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 19th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5274192
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 19,188 Posts
    • 14,847 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 1:37 PM
    Shame there's no update from either party in the old thread. I'm interested because I was told exactly the same when I made a purchase at Richer Sounds some time in the last year or so - I can't lay my hands on the documentation at the moment so I'll have to search for it, but it was either for a TV or for a Freeview box.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 19th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 4,823 Posts
    • 7,684 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 19th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 2:54 PM
    I always thought Richer Sounds provided a 5 year guarantee free as standard. I know when I bought a TV from there (from the Liverpool St branch coincidentally) I received a 5 year warranty and didn't pay a penny. I've seen others mention it on here as well.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 19,188 Posts
    • 14,847 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 3:19 PM
    I always thought Richer Sounds provided a 5 year guarantee free as standard. I know when I bought a TV from there (from the Liverpool St branch coincidentally) I received a 5 year warranty and didn't pay a penny. I've seen others mention it on here as well.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    “The vast majority of our products can be bought with a 6 Year Supercare guarantee for only 10% of the purchase price to ensure your purchase is covered with us. Not only that, but our VIP Club members get free 6 Year Guarantees on the majority of TV and projector purchases!”
    Hauke, Deputy Manager, Edinburgh store, 4th year of service.

https://www.richersounds.com/information/faq_guarantees/

It also says on that page that the money back at the end of the warranty period is for hi-fi, home cinema components and speakers, so it may well be that in my case it was the Freeview box that was covered but not the TV.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 19th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 35,802 Posts
    • 46,093 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 19th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    My television came with a 5 year warranty but not a money back thing...

If people read stuff before they signed any thing this sort of thing just wouldnt happen , as well as keeping documents for the length of the guarantee
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • photome
    • By photome 19th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 12,895 Posts
    • 8,379 Thanks
    photome
    • 19th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 5:38 PM
    My television came with a 5 year warranty but not a money back thing...

If people read stuff before they signed any thing this sort of thing just wouldnt happen , as well as keeping documents for the length of the guarantee
    Originally posted by McKneff
    they havent always done free warrantys

this is from 2011, it does suggest it was missold and the store even agreed it was, so the OP IMO should get a refund

Our 5 year Supercare warranty, available on most product categories excluding TV, is a fully refundable if not used (ie free!) guarantee, with many additional benefits such as a free loan unit and routine servicing!

We also offer a fantastic value 5 Year TV Guarantee on TV’s only. This warranty is not refundable at the end of the 5 years, although it does give you a full “at home” service saving you from having to return your TV to the store.

In addition, both guarantees can be cancelled at any point within the 5 years where you will receive a pro-rata refund for the unused portion.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 19th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 19th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 19th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    Shame there's no update from either party in the old thread. I'm interested because I was told exactly the same when I made a purchase at Richer Sounds some time in the last year or so - I can't lay my hands on the documentation at the moment so I'll have to search for it, but it was either for a TV or for a Freeview box.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    You would have received a free warranty for the tv, and the supercare warranty (if purchased) would be valid for the Freeview box.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Dec 17, 9:02 AM
    • 19,188 Posts
    • 14,847 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You would have received a free warranty for the tv, and the supercare warranty (if purchased) would be valid for the Freeview box.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson

Not true by default, read the quote in my previous post, I'm pretty sure that I joined the VIP club so did get it free on the TV, but if I hadn't done that then I would have had to pay for it.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 20th Dec 17, 9:44 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Not true by default, read the quote in my previous post, I'm pretty sure that I joined the VIP club so did get it free on the TV, but if I hadn't done that then I would have had to pay for it.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    If you bought it in the past year it is true. You don't need to join the club beforehand, they do it when you pay. Call the store if you're not sure!
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 19,188 Posts
    • 14,847 Thanks
    agrinnall
    If you bought it in the past year it is true. You don't need to join the club beforehand, they do it when you pay. Call the store if you're not sure!
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    As you seem so certain of your position perhaps you should contact Richer Sounds and explain to them that their website is incorrect. When you are able to join the VIP Club is irrelevant; if you don't join then you have to pay for the extra 5 year warranty.

https://www.richersounds.com/information/faq_guarantees/
    • By 492800 11th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    Hi all, sorry for the slow response from me..
    I called Richer sounds and made a formal complaint and the lady said she would escalate it and get a manager to contact me.
    I got an email confirming this..
    and yet nothing has happened.. So I replied to the email asking for an update and still nothing.. I find this very poor customer relations. First being lied to instore about the warranty, and now ignoring my complaint and emails.. it's a bit rubbish really don't you think!
    --- Hitting the thanks button as often as is needed ---
    • photome
    • By photome 12th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 12,895 Posts
    • 8,379 Thanks
    photome
    Hi all, sorry for the slow response from me..
    I called Richer sounds and made a formal complaint and the lady said she would escalate it and get a manager to contact me.
    I got an email confirming this..
    and yet nothing has happened.. So I replied to the email asking for an update and still nothing.. I find this very poor customer relations. First being lied to instore about the warranty, and now ignoring my complaint and emails.. it's a bit rubbish really don't you think!
    Originally posted by 492800
    Not great
    do they have a social media presence, that can often speed things up
    • whitelabel
    • By whitelabel 13th Jan 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 1,535 Thanks
    whitelabel
    try emailing the owner Julian

Email julian@richersounds.com
    every little helps
    • custardy
    • By custardy 13th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 32,868 Posts
    • 27,631 Thanks
    custardy
    Interesting. I threw out our docs only recently as the Tvs were out of warranty and we had claimed on the policy.
    I recall being told the same and pretty sure the leaflet supported money back if no claim.

edit:

Found a quote on another site.

If you use the policy in the 5 years, you’ll have saved yourself tens and perhaps hundreds of pounds. If you don’t… IT WON'T COST YOU A THING!

* Simply return your unused Supercare policy within one month of the expiration date, and we’ll refund the price of your warranty.

You obviously do not need to purchase an extended warranty at the same time you purchase your electrical goods, and are entitled to shop around. But we don’t think you’ll get a better offer than this.

To take advantage of this phenomenal offer, simply ask!

(Not available on portables, DVD Recorders or projectors)
    Last edited by custardy; 13-01-2018 at 6:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

34Posts Today

4,174Users online

Martin's Twitter