Vodafone has destroyed my credit rating

I am beside myself and do not know what to do. I am so worried. We want to move and this evening applied for a mortgage in principle. After a big fat no, I went to check what the heck was wrong only to find that VF has told Experian I am a "deliquent" and owe them £35.

I had a £10 card for my Ipad, never made a VF phone call in my life. When I changed banks, they did not take the DD from the new account. We went through a whole rigmarole that I will not bore you with save to state that the Ombudsman got involved, fined VF £50, told them to send me an apology and after 40+ emails, I thought the matter closed. I never reecived my £50 - they applied it to some fictional bill, but I really didn;t care. They had cut off my service for over 12 months anyway. I was finally told in Sept 17 that they had closed the account. Now, I go on to Experian and am told the account is live, in deliquent status and my credit rating is through the floor.

This seems to be such a common problem - how can VF do this to customers? Can anyone tell me where I can go for help? VF has ben so nasty and unhelpful for so long, I thought I had done with it. Now I may lose my dream home that we have just found because of their errors, the errors that the FO made them apologise for. I really am at my wits end.

Thanks.

Comments

• Not at all lucid. In any case, IF they changed your credit file entries it would take weeks.

As clear as mud, but sounds like after clearing a problem up you didn't pay the remainer of the contract. That would mean a debt and when unpaid, adverse credit entry - which then can't be deleted and will show up for the next 6 years.

If you can make a clear and justifiable case you could go to the Ombudsman again. Dealing with Vodafone (apart from the WRT - see main complaint thread) is a waste of time. If this is unconnected to the previous Ombudsman complaint (impossible to know from your jumbled description) try the WRT as instructed. If it's part of the previous decision, go back to the Ombudsman. The first action would be the most likeliest to produce a result in reasonable time - but if the debt is valid you may find it difficult to achieve what you need to achieve.
  • Sorry that it was't lucid, but it wasn't intended to be a formal statement, more of a cry for help! I don't know what WRT actually is - so I can't comment there. I managed to get through to VF this morning, before they cut me off and well, the account is closed on their system, with no balance owing, so they are now investigating what has happened. I will also go back to the Ombudsman too. Its all incepted to the first issue.

Thanks for your advice.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    There is a sticky thread at the top of the forum for Vodafone complaints. Please read that: You'll learn that WRT is a reference that VF use to deal with complaints from this forum. Follow the instructions in that thread, many people have had their issues solved.
  • bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a similar problem (My excellent credit score/file ruined) all be it by a different mobile company (02)

I fired off an email to the CEO's office, the problem was sorted within 24 hours
    by coincidence around the sane time on the TV show Watchdog some had a similar issue with Vodaphone it had taken them 2 years to sort it out and that was after Watchdog got involved

Good Luck
  • Definitely email the Chief Execs office. I had a problem with my credit file because of Vodafone and had a call back the next day and it was fully resolved in about 10 days. Obviously may take a bit more time at this time of year, but it didn't take long to fix.

Good luck
    Prizes:
    2013 - £3,500; 2014 - £8,200; 2015 - £9,300; 2016 - £6,500; 2017 - £9,500; 2018 - £1,600; 2019 - £2,100; 2020 - £2360!
    Thanks for everyone's help getting these xx
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I must have struck lucky with vodafone last week, checking bill to see if they had refunded the charges for the £1 a month security thing they sell, which i told them to cancel right away i didnt want it at all not even the trial.

So after 5 months they start charging for it. They sorted that and now this month find they have charged me well over £30 for a sub £18 contract.

Phoned and they checked the original deal and said they will refund the payment and a fair figure as compensation.

Must have struck it lucky getting someone on the first call who could sort it, although i will have to wait for the next bill i guess.

Phone them and see if you can get any sense from them, i assume its a case of yourt contract was still live and they took some payment but you ignored them for the rest of the charges?

Worth a call though, cross your fingers, if that doesnt work then the WRT code usually works. Failing that letters.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi RBJW41,

I'm sorry to hear that your account remains unresolved.

If you still need some help with it, please email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had a similar problem. My Excellent 10/10 credit rating was wrecked by O2 due to their incompetence.

I made them fix it and got compensation.

First steps

Make a written complaint to your mobile provider. Head the letter COMPLAINT otherwise it isnt one,its just correspondence.

Submit a statutory subject access request to your provider to make them provide copies of all data they hold on you.

Complain to the ombudsman

I made O" issue a letter of apology, correct my credit file thus renewing its perfect status and got compensation.

Too many mobile companies are running roughshod over customers in this way and it needs to end.

If you need to check your credit profile, sign up free to noddle to get it.

I did absolutely nothing wrong but O2 placed a default on my profile due to their dodgy practices and incompetence.

A lot of these issues arise when you end agreements/switch providers etc.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    You can't complain to the Ombudsman without waiting 8 weeks after the formal complaint to the company or receiving a letter of deadlock. The WRT is usually faster and more effective.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Even after my issue with Vodafone was dealt with by the Ombudsman and VF were told to correct my credit files, I still had to phone them 3 months later as they had "forgot" to do what they were instructed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure