Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pasanda
    • By Pasanda 17th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 36Thanks
    Pasanda
    High income child benefit - charges for benefit I never received??
    • 17th Dec 17, 9:29 AM
    High income child benefit - charges for benefit I never received?? 17th Dec 17 at 9:29 AM
    Yesterday I had a letter from HRMC stating I was owung them 3.5k in tax to cover higher income / child benefit charges.

Thing is, ever since the new threshold rules were introduced in 2013 I never claimed a penny in child benefit (nor my husband). Nothing has been going into our bank account either. Prior to this I was receiving the benefit like all families were.

I did receive a letter in 2015 asking me to confirm details to continue to be eligible for the benefit and if I didnt comply I would no longer be eligible. I called them at that time as I was confused since not getting the benefit and they said I didnt need ti do anything.

How can they claim that I have to repay something I never got? Why do they think they are paying me this? Dont they check their records to see if they actually have paid me anything?

Anyone else been in the same situation? Any advice on what ”evidence” I need to provide that I have not been paid (which is tricky unless I send them all my montly bank statements from the last 4 years).
Page 2
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 24,011 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    xylophone
    I once worked for a very large organisation in a department which was itself sub divided into sections dealing with various aspects of a certain law.

It was very common for a number of sections to need to comment/take action on matters arising from the operation of that law.

It was up to me to make sure that I dealt with anything relating to my own area of knowledge before sending the file to other sections to comment as required before it returned to me to write the necessary letter.

We certainly didn't require applicants to write separate letters to each section!

But then, we were always told that we provided a "Rolls Royce Service".....
    • Pasanda
    • By Pasanda 20th Dec 17, 7:29 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Pasanda
    I have to say that it seems to me that HMRC's requirement for a letter to be obtained from another section of the same organisation seems utterly ridiculous and to add insult to injury when they have erroneously claimed a large sum of money from a taxpayer.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Couldn’t agree more!
    • Pasanda
    • By Pasanda 20th Dec 17, 8:30 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Pasanda
    It occurs to me that the OP might like to refer the matter to his MP.
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Good idea - I will email my MP.
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 20th Dec 17, 8:36 AM
    • 9,608 Posts
    • 17,664 Thanks
    Pennywise
    And a quote from a judge in an upper tribunal case (different subject but still highlights the state of HMRC):-

"A sorry tale of HMRC's institutional incompetence and inefficiency"
    • Pasanda
    • By Pasanda 20th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Pasanda
    Got a response from my MP today, she has written to the Chief Executive of HMRC. Not that I think it will change anything in my particular case but I can at least hope it might help someone else in the future to avoid ending up in the same situation... one can wish anyway :-)
    • Pasanda
    • By Pasanda 28th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Pasanda
    Update: got a call from HRMC with reference to the letter my MP sent. They will look into it. Fingers crossed now....
    • Pasanda
    • By Pasanda 11th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Pasanda
    Hurray - letter received now from HMRC who says they are withdrawing their assessment.
    • ViolaLass
    • By ViolaLass 11th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 5,210 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    ViolaLass
    Hurray - letter received now from HMRC who says they are withdrawing their assessment.
    Originally posted by Pasanda
    Gosh, isn't it funny how competent a group can become when contacted by an MP?
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 12th Jan 18, 3:55 AM
    • 1,201 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    badmemory
    One would hope that it will not be long before MPs become p***** o** by having to deal with what should be straight forward issues & actually get someone to deal with it.

Whilst I appreciate that MPs do not actually deal with this carp themselves, they may well be paying for the time of the person that is & would far rather they were dealing with something else, rather than something that should not have come their way in the first place.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 24,011 Posts
    • 14,023 Thanks
    xylophone
    Is it too much to hope that you also received an apology?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,574Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin