Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 16th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,186Posts
    • 2,157Thanks
    snozberry
    Potatoes
    • 16th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    Potatoes 16th Dec 17 at 10:06 AM
    Hello! Apologies in advance for the novice question. I had some potatoes in a potato sack which I promptly forgot about. Anyway, they have all sprouted (chitted?). When is the best time to plant them? Can I do it now it will they keep until the spring? Apologies once more and many thanks in advance.
    Save £12000 No. 96 in 2017 £4750/£6000

Page 1
    • Farway
    • By Farway 16th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,848 Posts
    • 8,463 Thanks
    Farway
    • 16th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 16th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    Are they bought in seed spuds, or just ones for the kitchen that have sprouted?

Either way, unless you have some winter protection, like a greenhouse, it is too early and they are likely to just rot if planted outside in cold & wet winter
    • snozberry
    • By snozberry 16th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 1,186 Posts
    • 2,157 Thanks
    snozberry
    • 16th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    • 16th Dec 17, 1:41 PM
    Are they bought in seed spuds, or just ones for the kitchen that have sprouted?

Either way, unless you have some winter protection, like a greenhouse, it is too early and they are likely to just rot if planted outside in cold & wet winter
    Originally posted by Farway
    No, they were normal potatoes that just sprouted. I'll keep them indoors until spring. I'll just hope for the best. Thank-you
    Save £12000 No. 96 in 2017 £4750/£6000

• Linda32
    • By Linda32 16th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 4,124 Posts
    • 9,179 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 16th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    • 16th Dec 17, 7:40 PM
    Can I say that it isn't a question of hoping for the best. You will be wasting your time. They will rot off before spring and trust me you really really do not want to smell a rotting potato.

If you wish to grow potatoes, and it is worth doing. Buy seed potatoes from garden centres or nurseries around March/April and plant then. You need to look for potatoes called First Earlies or Second Earlier.

The potatoes are called seed potatoes but look like very small potatoes.
    Last edited by Linda32; 16-12-2017 at 7:54 PM.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 11th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    You can grow them in pots or bags .buy a bag of about 15, and you will need to chit them before planting
    • LessImpecunious
    • By LessImpecunious 12th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    LessImpecunious
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    Potatoes in the ground will survive cold temperatures perfectly well without rotting, as anyone who has left the odd one from a row in the ground will discover next spring/summer when they appear in the middle of the onions...(or whatever - insert own rotation scheme crop!). However, the young sprouts (especially if they've chitted in a warm pace in the house) may not be as hardy. If the chits are still small, and you can keep the potatoes somewhere cool and light (e.g., windowsill not near rad; old egg boxes make good chitting trays) to stop the shoots growing too long there's no reason why you couldn't successfully plant and grow these in the spring as with commercial seed potatoes - the main problem with using potatoes bought for eating as seed is that they may have been treated with a sprouting suppressant - as yours are sprouting already this doesn't look like it should be a problem!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

1,565Users online

Martin's Twitter