Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 14th Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    • 111Posts
    • 61Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my discount with my friends?
    • 14th Dec 17, 12:19 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I share my discount with my friends? 14th Dec 17 at 12:19 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I often book theatre tickets for myself and friends, who then pay me back. However, I recently bought a discount card (which cost £40) that gets me money off tickets. Should I continue to charge my friends full-price until the cost of the card has been covered, or just ask them to pay me the discounted price?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • gaving7095
    • By gaving7095 8th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    gaving7095
    Firstly there's no "moral dilemma" here - as usual.
    Anyway you paid for the card & you're taking on the hassle of buying the tickets. I would just continue having them pay full price - I guess I'm a bad friend :-D
    But honestly if roles were reversed I wouldn't complain. It's like somebody taking you shopping, then you letting them have your reward points on their card because you don't have one. Who cares?

But yes what you suggest (re: giving them the discount once the card is paid off) seems perfectly fair to me.

But... are you going to let them foot the full £40 bill for the card, though? Or are you factoring in what you've saved each time as a virtual contribution towards the card? XD
    More hassle than it's worth iof you ask me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,039Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter