2018 Frugal Living Challenge

Comments

• Morning everyone!

It's payday today, so I've been doing my banking. Bills money for the month has been transferred over, £100 into my car account (this covers mot, insurance and tax, plus bits towards repairs/a new-to-me car), and money has gone into my savings account too. I used to, in the olden days, save what was left at the end of the month, but that was never anything, so it goes straight into savings at the start of the month. I've also started putting a bit more than planned in, on the understanding that it's there if I need it...

I have a mini-goal of getting out of my overdrafts. The two between them are about £340, where they were £490 ish.

I have noticed that regularly thinking about my goals (short, mid and long term) has really helped me to stay on track. Obviously, being ill has been a help too, as I haven't left the house, but that's a challenge for next month!

Having soup from mum for lunch, and not too sure about dinner yet. Yesterday was the first day in over a week that I actually managed to cook something, so will spend this morning thinking of something easy to do.

Off to write in my journal!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tanya12345 wrote: »
    Afternoon Fruggies, was having a good day but now a bit down as I went to get a couple of cooking apples from my store (garage) to find all but 5 of them are rotten !! I had carefully picked them and wrapped them in newspaper and then put them in plastic mesh crates, really not sure what went wrong - perhaps just need to make more cider next year (Hic!!)

It is really easy to bottle (can) apple. You don't need a special pan, just one deep enough to hold enough water to come 2 inches above the top of the jars plus boiling room.
  • Just applied for the Natwest reward account, as mentioned on Martin's email. £125 for transferring my current account. A monthly fee of £2 a month, and a cashback of 2% of my bills...which is £20 (bills £1000) if they are all included. I've swapped account before and It's fairly painless. I feel more confident as I currently know exactly what all my bills are.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone, back in the land of living and feeling good! I haven't really been spending much the last couple of days as I haven't left the house, so win win for me.
    Been eating out of stores but may go shopping tomorrow as I have a Tosco coupon for £6 off £40 and I can replenish tins and freezer stuff to last a few months with it.
    Bought 2 pairs of jeans that were needed and pleased that Ive gone a size so I must try all my stuff on and either alter or cs them if too big, otherwise not been doing much.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 January 2018 at 11:21PM
    nannyg glad to hear you are feeling better

had a spend day today , as its my Tuesday at Brewers with a friend , we meet up and put the world to rights over a nice 2 for 1 meal , and re fillable coffee,
    Had an unexpected bit of good luck yesterday . was de cluttering , and looking for more stuff to put on the bidding page , ( It actually makes de cluttering fun looking for treasure to sell ) and I came across a glasses case, ,inside was an old £10 note, !!!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ( I put money in a glasses case if going out and not taking a bag big enough to hold a purse ) I have no idea why this was forgotten , not like me to "Lose" a tenner ,,,,but very pleased to find it ,,,,,,,,took it into the bank and exchanged it for a new shiny one , so its gone into the holiday pot for this week ,
    All the snow has gone where I live , Dad goes to hospital tomorrow , keep your fingers and toes crossed that the news about his cancer isn't bad , xx
  • Hi, can i join please? I would love to be more active in being frugal, paying off debt and saving. I am keen on self sufficiency and reducing waste so this thread could be a perfect fit. I do a monthly budget every month but have a habit of using CC for the purchases so it stretches further! that has backfired and now i need to be very frugal so that i can clear the cards! eek. hopefully you will all let me in? pretty please x
    Make £/day March: £1490.85 / £310
    Quidco £3,143.16 NSD Mar:14
    2024 Road Kill £1
    March Sales of Excess £240.85
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    hopefully you will all let me in? pretty please x
    Always room for one more - welcome aboard :)
    Cheryl
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Any room for another little one?

Maternity leave, a sudden unexpected increase in family size (twins!) and a couple of household emergencies has left me nursing £21k of debt on credit cards and overdrafts.

That figure is scary to me so I really want to get a handle on it and make some serious headway in becoming debt free and living within my means before my next "significant" birthday.

Very interested in the idea of frugality and hoping it will help me some way towards my goals.

Can i join you please?
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    spudsmum wrote: »
    Can i join you please?
    Budging up the bench to make room for another as I type :)
    Cheryl
  • Moll
    Moll Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 January 2018 at 7:12PM
    Ive had a spend day . got to add up the damage yet, but I don't care,,,,,,im celebrating , Dad did ok at the hospital . and he doesn't have to go back for 3 months, and if hes still the same then , they'll increase it up to 6 month check ups , so life is good , We expected the worst , Nice to have good news for a change, ill be back when ive added up , and see if ive got anything to put in the holiday fund this week x x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure