Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 13th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,317Posts
    • 476Thanks
    kah22
    Pip
    • 13th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    Pip 13th Dec 17 at 5:41 PM
    There are horror stories about PIP reviews across the water and a recent Spotlight programme seemed to suggest that it is much tougher to obtain the benefit here in NI

Would like to here from anyone who has went through, or helped others through the system, especially those with mental conditions how they found the system and can they offer any advice.

In this particular case I’m thinking of bipolar.
    Illegitimi non carborundum
Page 1
    • CreditCardJunkie
    • By CreditCardJunkie 13th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    CreditCardJunkie
    • 13th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    I think as long as you have medical evidence to back you up you should be ok. Someone I know has a long term health condition backed up by scans, blood results etc so they couldn't really argue it.
    Good luck!
    • Sugarmummy
    • By Sugarmummy 13th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Sugarmummy
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    • 13th Dec 17, 10:44 PM
    When you fill the form in remember the ones assessing aren't psychic so you will need to put everything down no matter how small you think it is. Everything will be relevant. Put down and emphasise what you can't do.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 14th Dec 17, 12:31 AM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    kah22
    • 14th Dec 17, 12:31 AM
    • 14th Dec 17, 12:31 AM
    I agree with Sugarmum it is vital to read the descriptors very carefully, remembering that the words used have very tight legal meanings and I, hopefully, have a good handle on that

What I’m interested in is how cliaments, especially those with mental health problems, felt they were treated. Treatment in England seems scandalous

Take a look at THIS article from the BBC
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 14th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    • 14th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    Please ask Cab to help you the way some have been treated here is shocking and wrong!
    Are you from Northern Ireland yourself?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*
    • kah22
    • By kah22 14th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    kah22
    • 14th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 14th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    Yes. Thankfully though it’s not not me up before the board, I’m just helping a person with bipolar do the spade work
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 16th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    • 16th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    • 16th Dec 17, 10:48 AM
    Yes. Thankfully though it’s not not me up before the board, I’m just helping a person with bipolar do the spade work
    Originally posted by kah22
    What do you mean up before the Board ?
    Have they done their Face to Face?
    Is this an Appeal?

• Tansy_1980
    • By Tansy_1980 18th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    Tansy_1980
    • 18th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 18th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    Your friend's claim will depend on how many points he or she scores under both the Daily Living Allowance category and the Mobility category. The activities have changed from those which would have garnered someone an award under DLA and the fact that someone had been in receipt of DLA does not mean that they will have an entitlement to PIP. I'd suggest reading this document, which outlines the actual descriptors for each activity and the number of points which should be awarded based on the claimant's ability or otherwise to achieve the task. It's worth remembering that PIP is there to assist people with additional costs incurred as a result of a disability and isn't simply awarded because someone is unable to work (that would be ESA), so you really need to evidence how your disability makes it more difficult for you to achieve the activities listed than it is for a person without such needs.

It's also worth bearing in mind what it says on your friend's original DLA application. When applying for PIP, you are usually asked if you want to submit evidence from the DLA form on file. DfC can only consider this application if you consent to it. I'd suggest asking for a copy of the form to be sent to you before giving your consent and then sending in a redacted version and asking them to consider this. Otherwise, you run the risk of the DLA evidence overruling what you are saying now if it is less supportive of your claim (e.g. the old DLA standard for mobility was much more generous than that for PIP, so your DLA form might say you can only walk 40 metres unaided, which would have been sufficient for an award of DLA but is not for an award of PIP).

If your friend is filling out the form without professional support (from an advice agency) I'd encourage him to make an appointment with the same. If he's at appeal stage, he should try to get a referral to the Law Centre NI or similar for assistance with this work and he should remember that he can get a supplementary payment equivalent to his old DLA award while the appeal is pending if he had previously been in receipt of DLA and has been turned down for PIP and intends to appeal,.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 9th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    kah22
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:19 PM
    Just thought I’d bring you up to date with what’s happening. My friends Form was posted today by guaranteed delivery, so it will arrive in plenty of time

Anyway my friend wouldn’t visit her local CAB office even though she was strongly advised to do so.

I had a membership of Benefits And Work Forums and picked up some exelecent information there, I also bought an example of a successful PIP Application From from an online group. Both of these resources and a few others helped us, I think, to fill in the Application. Only time will tell!. Personally I ignored the ‘additional information box’ wrote in each one ‘see question 15’ and give all of the extra information there, typed and set out well so there’d be no difficulty in reading it.

We were also able to get a letter of support from her consultant, GP, and myself as her best friend. While not mentioning any of the descriptors in particular the consultant did mention behaviour and that she’d probably need medication for the rest of her life, he also stated he supported her PIP claim adding that he would supply more information if requested. . As far as possible I worked my way through the descriptors indicating how each affected her. We also included a ten page diary

Most of the online information refers to the outworkings of PIP across the water, it will be interesting to see the outworkings here in the North.

The form is filled in and away; any idea of the timescale here in the North? Anyone with Bipolar, or any mental condition, reading this thread I would be grateful for your input as to what to expect from Capita when it comes to a Face to Face (please fell free to PM me if you don’t to engage in an open Forum. As a matter of interest she requested a paper based assessment; any comments ?

I will keep you up to date as to what is happening

Kevin
    Last edited by kah22; 09-01-2018 at 1:24 PM.
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 9th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 999 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    Appointments could take 6 weeks then maybe 12 before you get a Decision I wish you both Luck There is a Couple of good Facebook Groups Where The advice Is free.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,455Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin