Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 11th Dec 17, 5:17 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    siananigans
    Just Equita letter No PCN
    • 11th Dec 17, 5:17 PM
    Just Equita letter No PCN 11th Dec 17 at 5:17 PM
    Hi Forum,
    I've read through the Newbies Sticky and lots of other posts related to ParkingEye and Equita issues, but unfortunatly I'm still a little confused what action to take. I'd really appreciate a quick steer on which way to go so I can do some more research and move forward.

I received a letter from Equita (hand delivered) the title of which was 'RE: ParkingEye Limited Outstanding Parking Charge' demanding payment of 145 for an unpaid parking charge. They refer to myself as <Keeper/Hirer/Driver>. They say that ParkingEye have written to me recently regarding the unpaid charge and as it hasn't been paid the matter has now been passed to Equita.

The issue is is that this is the first correspondance I have received from either ParkingEye or Equita. I haven't received any PCNs, nor did I get a windscreen one. The letter does not give any information on when/where the charge took place, only reference numbers and pin numbers. I used these to log into the ParkingEye website to see the information on the charge (bad move?) and it relates to a stay in the famous Chelmsford Riverside Retail Park (of the Beavis case), 6 months previously. The alloted time scale is max 2 hours, the car was parked for 2hr 49min as many shops were visited and lunch was had.

I also (having read the forum I now realise foolishly) called Equita for more information. They were rude and unhelpful and hung up on me. I didn't give them any more information than they have on the letter they sent me though.

Because a PCN was never received I now don't know whether to go down the dispute / POPLA route, or whether to write to the head of one of the many stores visited that day and try and get them to cancel the charge? And as the car park the charge relates to is the one from the Beavis case, would I have a leg to stand on re. correct legible signage as in the dispute template? Presumably they would have made this car park infallable when it comes to disputes?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Huge Thanks.
Page 2
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 15th Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Ok, I will try this first. I'll keep you posted.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 16th Dec 17, 11:20 AM
    • 16,350 Posts
    • 25,444 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Sorry Coupon Mad, there was conflicting advice, you said contact store managers, Umkomaas said it wouldn't work at this location, so I thought the standard ignore debt collector advice was the route to go.
    We occasionally diverge in advice on approach. Its not a case of one being correct, the other incorrect - you just need to decide how you proceed. In fact, its probably better logistically to try the retailer complaint first, then if that doesnt work, its back to ignore.

Theres a couple of issues just slightly playing on my mind here. The first is that Equita hand-delivered their Letter, the second being that you had not at the time appraised the DVLA of your change of address.

Given that PE is, by nature, litigious, it does cross my mind as to whether they have served court papers to your former address and in the absence of a defence, have ploughed on with litigation. In which case you are likely to have a default CCJ and your credit rating might well have been compromised. And Equita are lined up to enforce the CCJ.

Please dont panic (I may be waaaay off target), but just to get yourself clarification on that remote possibility, please check your credit rating just to rule out that nothing like my scenario has played out.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 18th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Thank you Umkomass. I have just checked my credit score and is fine and as normal. This puts my mind at rest for the time being, but could PE in theory still serve papers to my old address? Or as Equita have now located my new address is this unlikely do you think?

I mentioned in a previous post that the site of the incident isn’t very close to where I live, so getting back to speak to the store managers isn’t as easy as it could be. Having said that, I will be going at some point this week to try and speak with some of the managers at the park. Fingers crossed that someone there can help.

I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Thank you all again for your advice. All of it is hugely appreciated.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 19th Dec 17, 8:39 AM
    • 16,350 Posts
    • 25,444 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Thank you Umkomass. I have just checked my credit score and is fine and as normal. This puts my mind at rest for the time being, but could PE in theory still serve papers to my old address? Or as Equita have now located my new address is this unlikely do you think?
    Glad the credit score is okay. In theory, yes they could, but I would say that it would be a very remote possibility. From past experience, the involvement of Equita suggests that it isn’t going to happen.

Do you have a redirect set up with the Royal Mail for your former address?
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 24th Dec 17, 11:09 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Hi all, some updates for you.

My partner went to the retail park and spoke to the managers of the stores. They all advised speaking to the land owners of the Car parks and two stores have given us email addresses to contact them. One was a generic email, the other was for a specific person. One manger also informed us that the retail park are also currently asking stores for feedback on the parking situation with a view to possibly changing the current regulations.

We are going to write to both of the addresses.

Also in answer to your question Umkomaas – yes we do have a redirect set up from our previous address. Unfortunately there was a break in coverage which annoyingly coincided with the date of the parking charge – we did live with friends who were still in the property and would forward mail, when they left we attempted to set up a redirect, but it failed the first time and took some time to resolve this.

I also have some additional information I could do with an opinion on… We have received another letter from Equita, asking again for payment, but also offering to split it if it can’t be afforded in one go. They also advise that they will pass the claim BACK to Parking Eye if we don’t respond so they may take it further. The interesting thing is that they actually have the address wrong on the letter. What I thought was a hand delivered letter on the first contact from Equita, was actually put through by a Neighbour, the same happened again this week. The reason being that our Neighbour is (not real numbers!) 74 and we are 74A. The ‘A’ is not on my address on the letter. Will this error have any affect of the issue?

Many thanks again and Merry Christmas to you all!
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 24th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 34,127 Posts
    • 18,080 Thanks
    Quentin
    You do need to ensure the PPC have your correct address.

Parking eye are litigious and you don't want to discover they have won a ccj against you because they used the wrong address on Court correspondence
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 24th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Hi Quentin, thanks for your reply. Another member did suggest this may be the case, but I checked my credit score and report and both were fine. Presumably that means that they haven’t actioned a CCJ yet?

Should I contact Parking Eye and Equita and inform them of the correct address?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 24th Dec 17, 11:49 AM
    • 34,127 Posts
    • 18,080 Thanks
    Quentin
    Yes

The ppcs have 6 years to start legal action against you
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 24th Dec 17, 4:41 PM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    KeithP
    Should I contact Parking Eye and Equita and inform them of the correct address?
    Originally posted by siananigans
    Quentin has already told you:
    Originally posted by Quentin
    No need to bother with Equita.
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 25th Dec 17, 7:01 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Quentin has already told you:

Thanks very much for all your replies, sorry for clarifying on a few points, as lots of people are replying, certain advice is being contradicted or repeated. I’m very grateful for everyone’s help, I’m just trying to ensure I take the correct course.

I’ve tried to contact Parking Eye, but all I can find is an automated payment line or an address to write to. Does anyone know how best to go about letting Parking Eye know about the correct address?

Thanks again.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 26th Dec 17, 9:19 AM
    • 34,127 Posts
    • 18,080 Thanks
    Quentin
    From the alternatives you have then write.

Keep a copy of the letter and hand it in at a post office and get a certificate of posting
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 26th Dec 17, 3:23 PM
    • 52,881 Posts
    • 66,407 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thanks very much for all your replies, sorry for clarifying on a few points, as lots of people are replying, certain advice is being contradicted or repeated. I’m very grateful for everyone’s help, I’m just trying to ensure I take the correct course.

I’ve tried to contact Parking Eye, but all I can find is an automated payment line or an address to write to. Does anyone know how best to go about letting Parking Eye know about the correct address?

Thanks again.
    Originally posted by siananigans
    Never write snail mail to PE.

info@parkingeye.co.uk

Make it short, give them the right address and state that this place is notorious following the Beavis case, and not in a good way in terms of reputation for the public who can vote with their feet and shop elsewhere or online. The Beavis case is something you have only just learnt about since suffering at ParkingEye's whim, and the extremely threatening presence of ParkingEye is making your family decide to boycott the place in future. This has been communicated in complaints to all the retail Managers of the shops used, as well as specifically to xxxxx xxxxxx in order to complain directly to the Retail Park owners.

State that if they really want a repeat of the Beavis case then sobeit, but their aggressive anti-customer service reputation will lead to their undoing in the end. It is widely believed by the public that the likes of ParkingEye have no place in retail parks whatsoever, despite the findings of the Supreme Court.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• siananigans
    • By siananigans 1st Jan 18, 6:26 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Hello all, Happy New Year!

Small update for you. I have emailed Parking Eye to inform them of my correct address, awaiting a response from them.

We were given two email addresses from the managers at the retail park, one generic, one for a specific person. For the specific address the person is back in the office after Christmas tomorrow so I hope for a response from them soon.

The generic email returned a generic response. A dead end as far as that one goes I think:

Thank you for your email.

If your enquiry relates to a parking fine you have received then please appeal online at https://portal.parkingeye.co.uk/

This mailbox is monitored on a weekly basis by CBRE and appeals must be made via the link and are handled by ParkingEye.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Jan 18, 7:27 PM
    • 5,147 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    KeithP
    Did you not use the email address given in the post immediately above yours?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 52,881 Posts
    • 66,407 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Gives you a clue that they are getting shedloads of PE complaints. Have they not twigged how to sort that out?!
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• siananigans
    • By siananigans 1st Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Did you not use the email address given in the post immediately above yours?
    Keith P yes

I have emailed Parking Eye to inform them of my correct address, awaiting a response from them.
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 1st Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    Sorry, I should have said, the two email addresses we were given by the managers at the retail park we’re for the land owners who employed Parking Eye to run the Car park.
    • siananigans
    • By siananigans 4th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    siananigans
    UPDATE!!!

Last week I emailed a personal contact for the land owners of the retail park to complain about the charge and the parking situation in general. They responded and said they would speak to Parking Eye on my behalf to see what could be done.

I also emailed Parking Eye on the info address to inform them they are contacting the wrong address for me.

Today I received an email from the P.E. info address stating the charge has been cancelled and no outstanding payment is required!!! I can only assume the contact for the landowners was successful in asking P.E. to cancel the charge!

I'm so happy and so so grateful to this forum for all your help and guidance in getting this matter resolved! Thank you everyone!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 4th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 16,350 Posts
    • 25,444 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    We always advise an approach to the landowner because it works on many occasions. Despite the strategy’s success, many newbies are reluctant to make the approach, some are seemingly happier to pay the PCN rather than taking it up with the landowner.

Well done on shaking this nasty off the sole of your shoe.

• Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 52,881 Posts
    • 66,407 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yay, well done!

Can you tell us who you contacted, as others threatened in this notorious car park need to know.

As an aside, please contact WHICH? magazine using the easy link from this thread to tell them briefly of your plight. The more people who contact WHICH, the more likely they are to take up this unregulated scam industry as their next cause:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5765579
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 05-01-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,882Users online

Martin's Twitter