Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kimbo600
    • By Kimbo600 7th Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kimbo600
    Drug use at work
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:30 PM
    Drug use at work 7th Dec 17 at 11:30 PM
    Hello.

I am a regular forum browser on other parts of MSE but never had the need to make an account until now because I need some advise if possible please..

I work with heavy machinery.. Some folk lifts and some handlers etc.. It needs to be a very safe place.. I have worked here some years in our metal pressing area but as we moved that to elsewhere in the business I am moved to the warehouse department but I am beginning to fear alot about the people I work with and drug abuse. I have been working here two weeks.

- One person I see every morning with powder on his nose and struggling to stand up
    - Another I know 100% smokes cannabis before shifts start - he drives a folklift!
    - I found a can in the toilets with crushed white powder on it which I suspect is drugs
    - One person had an ambulance come because of pain in stomach area, others laughed and said it was down to 'ket cramps'.. He seems 'out of it' alot! He drives machinery
    - One of the workers bragged how him and a female member of staff were 'doing coke' all night at the last xmas party, he drives machinery
    - Everyone says one member of staff is addiction to Tramadol and always 'necks' them at specific times.. I watched him and can confirm he has tablets at these times

- The manager there was reported for 'cocaine use' by a member of staff a few months ago which he denied.. Reported to the owner.. The staff member who reported him was sacked soon after for taking an unauthorised break, though he denied it was true and said it was revenge..

I really fear working here but as I've been part of the company for several years I get benefits I wont in other places and I am not very skilled and not many qualifications so Im worried about that.. And I have not worked anywhere else.. But also fear for my safety, I always see machinery not turned off properly or folk lift without breaks.. Last week the manager left the break off an outside folk lift and it rolled down the yard whilst he was at the toilet and went into the container about 10 metres down and stopped but that could have killed someone! He was reported for that but the owner kept it all quiet like he did the drugs accusation.

I have no faith in the owner to do anything they are friends.. I need my job I dont have a car and I can walk here and I struggled so long without a job.. Do you think I can have some drugs testing.. Maybe a union can help me and come to the work and test everyone for drugs and maybe the drug users will be sacked? I do not want to report it to the owner for me to be sacked like the last person.. But maybe if someone can come from the outside?

Im very inexperienced in work regards so looking for some help thank you..
    Last edited by Kimbo600; 07-12-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: I did try research but it always says if I am boss but I am not
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    • 4,162 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    Hello.

I am a regular forum browser on other parts of MSE but never had the need to make an account until now because I need some advise if possible please..

I work with heavy machinery.. Some folk lifts and some handlers etc.. It needs to be a very safe place.. I have worked here some years in our metal pressing area but as we moved that to elsewhere in the business I am moved to the warehouse department but I am beginning to fear alot about the people I work with and drug abuse. I have been working here two weeks.

- One person I see every morning with powder on his nose and struggling to stand up
    - Another I know 100% smokes cannabis before shifts start - he drives a folklift!
    - I found a can in the toilets with crushed white powder on it which I suspect is drugs
    - One person had an ambulance come because of pain in stomach area, others laughed and said it was down to 'ket cramps'.. He seems 'out of it' alot! He drives machinery
    - One of the workers bragged how him and a female member of staff were 'doing coke' all night at the last xmas party, he drives machinery
    - Everyone says one member of staff is addiction to Tramadol and always 'necks' them at specific times.. I watched him and can confirm he has tablets at these times

- The manager there was reported for 'cocaine use' by a member of staff a few months ago which he denied.. Reported to the owner.. The staff member who reported him was sacked soon after for taking an unauthorised break, though he denied it was true and said it was revenge..

I really fear working here but as I've been part of the company for several years I get benefits I wont in other places and I am not very skilled and not many qualifications so Im worried about that.. And I have not worked anywhere else.. But also fear for my safety, I always see machinery not turned off properly or folk lift without breaks.. Last week the manager left the break off an outside folk lift and it rolled down the yard whilst he was at the toilet and went into the container about 10 metres down and stopped but that could have killed someone! He was reported for that but the owner kept it all quiet like he did the drugs accusation.

I have no faith in the owner to do anything they are friends.. I need my job I dont have a car and I can walk here and I struggled so long without a job.. Do you think I can have some drugs testing.. Maybe a union can help me and come to the work and test everyone for drugs and maybe the drug users will be sacked? I do not want to report it to the owner for me to be sacked like the last person.. But maybe if someone can come from the outside?

Im very inexperienced in work regards so looking for some help thank you..
    Originally posted by Kimbo600
    Nobody who isn't the employer can impose drug testing on employees.

If you are concerned about health and safety then you can anonymously report to the Health & Safety Executive. But all they can do is inspect a workplace. They cannot force the employer to drug test and they can't drug test themselves.

BTW, what everyone says is not evidence of anything. If you watch me too, you will find that I take tramadol routinely every four hours. It's called a prescription, not an addiction!
    • Samsung_Note2
    • By Samsung_Note2 8th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 194 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Samsung_Note2
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:23 AM
    Either look for another job or call the Health and Safety executive and let them investigate the firm.

Your choices are limited to either walking away..joining in with the drug taking or as above call the HSE and let them investigate.

People will say they are not addicted..i did for years as i wouldnt admit i was,i can stop any time i want,but why should i as i dont want too.

Weak spineless people will always make excuses...until they realise they are in fact addicted and by then its a very hard to change,its possible but you need to want to before that can happen.
    Last edited by Samsung_Note2; 08-12-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    If my appalling spelling offends you that much...dont read my posts.
    • mpython
    • By mpython 8th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 104,046 Thanks
    mpython
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:16 AM
    ......... Do you think I can have some drugs testing.. No Maybe a union can help me Do you belong to a union? and come to the work and test everyone for drugs No, they can'tand maybe the drug users will be sacked? sacking is an employer's decision not yours or a union'sI do not want to report it to the owner for me to be sacked like the last personSo the employer already knows about.. But maybe if someone can come from the outside?Like the police?

Im very inexperiencedHow long have you worked there? in work regards so looking for some help thank you..
    Originally posted by Kimbo600

As far as I'm aware, no UK employer drug tests its employees. Happy to be corrected

There are many professions where its illegal to be under the influence whilst working - e.g. airline pilots, taxi drivers, and some have been sacked whilst under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs, but its the police that test them based on reports from the employer or accidents that have happened.
    Last edited by mpython; 08-12-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 9,775 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:25 AM
    As far as I'm aware, no UK employer drug tests its employees. Happy to be corrected

There are many professions where its illegal to be under the influence whilst working - e.g. airline pilots, taxi drivers, and some have been sacked whilst under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs, but its the police that test them based on reports from the employer or accidents that have happened.
    Originally posted by mpython
    My work recently brought in drugs testing for those who drive vehicles and work in 'reaction' sensitive jobs. Our occupational health nurse performs the test.

My friend who operates heavy machinery has been subject to random drugs testing for at least 10 years. What makes you think nobody does?
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 4,713 Posts
    • 7,495 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:28 AM
    BTW, what everyone says is not evidence of anything. If you watch me too, you will find that I take tramadol routinely every four hours. It's called a prescription, not an addiction!
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Does tramadol come with any restrictions, ie: are you allowed to drive or operate machinery?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Dec 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 5,516 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:33 AM
    Does tramadol come with any restrictions, ie: are you allowed to drive or operate machinery?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    From the PIL:

"Tramadol capsules may make you feel drowsy, dizzy or in rare cases blur your vision. This may be made worse if you drink alcohol or take other medicines such as strong painkillers with tramadol. Make sure you are not affected before you drive or operate machinery."
    • Mrs CP
    • By Mrs CP 8th Dec 17, 11:33 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Mrs CP

My previous employer, a very well-known international company, would test all employees for drug and alcohol on a random and 'with just cause' basis. A manager was dismissed for having cannabis in his system when tested. He never went near heavy machinery or drove any MHE.
    • Mrs CP
    • By Mrs CP 8th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Mrs CP
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:35 AM
    OP - have a look at notice boards or within your handbook for a confidential hotline number, where you may be able to report the goings-on confidentially.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 8th Dec 17, 11:52 AM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    pogofish
    It has become pretty routine in companies operating in the North Sea oil sector and has been happening for years now.
    • mpython
    • By mpython 8th Dec 17, 11:57 AM
    • 3,320 Posts
    • 104,046 Thanks
    mpython
    My work recently brought in drugs testing for those who drive vehicles and work in 'reaction' sensitive jobs. Our occupational health nurse performs the test.

My friend who operates heavy machinery has been subject to random drugs testing for at least 10 years. What makes you think nobody does?
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Thank you for that - just outside my sphere of experience.

https://www.gov.uk/monitoring-work-workers-rights/drug-testing
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Dec 17, 12:18 PM
    • 4,162 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    sangie595
    From the PIL:

"Tramadol capsules may make you feel drowsy, dizzy or in rare cases blur your vision. This may be made worse if you drink alcohol or take other medicines such as strong painkillers with tramadol. Make sure you are not affected before you drive or operate machinery."
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Yep - and I take it with other medicines. Fortunately it doesn't have any side-effects on me. My GP tells me it has a great street value, but I think she's giving me the wrong stuff, because I wouldn't pay for it!!! Absolutely nothing to show for it....You'd think that I could at least have a bit of euphoria for all the c**p!
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 8th Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 5,237 Thanks
    Malthusian
    As far as I'm aware, no UK employer drug tests its employees. Happy to be corrected.
    Every UK employer connected with professional sport has to drug test its employees. Not sure where you even got this idea to be corrected.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 8th Dec 17, 12:58 PM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    pogofish
    Yep - and I take it with other medicines. Fortunately it doesn't have any side-effects on me. My GP tells me it has a great street value, but I think she's giving me the wrong stuff, because I wouldn't pay for it!!! Absolutely nothing to show for it....You'd think that I could at least have a bit of euphoria for all the c**p!
    Originally posted by sangie595
    Yup - Awful stuff for me too. I had it after my arthritis operations - I was given it for compound effect alongside another milder painkiller that frankly worked better all-round. I ditched the Tramadol after just a few days because as well as only minimal improvements in painkilling properties, after a few days use I got insistant buzzy headaches and it mucked with my blood pressure something rotten.

How anyone enjoys this quite escapes me.
    Last edited by pogofish; 08-12-2017 at 1:01 PM.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Dec 17, 1:46 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 1,908 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I do half wonder whether this is a wind up thread.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 8th Dec 17, 1:47 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    bouicca21
    DD's employer operates a random drug/alcohol testing regime - and applies it to all workers not just those who work with potentially dangerous equipment.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 8th Dec 17, 5:29 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 645 Thanks
    z1a
    Fork lift, it doesn't lift people. It may break if the brakes don't work.
    Last edited by z1a; 08-12-2017 at 5:31 PM.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 8th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    From the PIL:

Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Okay but what are the negative effects?
    • Kimbo600
    • By Kimbo600 9th Dec 17, 1:26 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kimbo600
    Fork lift, it doesn't lift people. It may break if the brakes don't work.
    Originally posted by z1a
    So my English is not the best.. I grew up in care, went to one of the worse schools in the country and you have no idea about the struggles in my life, absolutely un necessary condescending reply.

Thank you for the replies elsewhere.. It is not a wind up thread at all like said earlier.. I really am concerned. In regards to Tramadol, for sure he does not have prescription people laugh at him all day about it and he claims it is pain but the doctor doesn't believe him, another person there had colon problems and gets them and sells them to him. So I did not make a mistake with that.

Thank you for answers I must think what to do..
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 9th Dec 17, 4:42 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 3,951 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Mine does. Very large, highly unionised manufacturing company.

We were drug tested as part of the recruitment process and there is provision for random drug tests on any employee (although I have never known anyone be selected).

The logistics is outsourced and any driver, forklift, tow truck, HGV or any other will be drink and drug tested immediate after even the most minor of incidents.
    Last edited by RichardD1970; Yesterday at 1:04 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

368Posts Today

1,850Users online

Martin's Twitter