Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • natalieb44
    • By natalieb44 7th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    natalieb44
    New mama busting the debt
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    New mama busting the debt 7th Dec 17 at 10:04 PM
    So this must be about my 100th lightbulb moment. I can hardly count the amount of times Iíve declared war on debt, paid a load off and then in a day/week/month of weakness, undone some or all of my good work.

We cleared a lot of debt before my baby was born, knowing weíd need to tighten the belt while I was on maternity leave. Then our boiler broke and we decided to put it on the credit card rather than lose our emergency fund.

But since being on mat leave Iíve found myself spending hundreds more each month than we have. Boredom and feeling that I Ďdeserve ití have meant Iíve justified expensive treats for myself (kitchen aid in the Black Friday sale - whoops!!) as well as spending lots day-to-day to keep me and the bubba occupied.

Today Iíve had another LBM and itís starting to sink in that every penny I spend now, we have to repay later. Iím essentially stealing from our familyís future; taking opportunities away from our little one and likely adding stress unnecessarily.

So here are some immediate actions to start getting me on the straight & narrow, and hopefully this diary will give me a way of being accountable!
    • Cancel 1 credit card that has no balance
    • Balance transfer from card #2 (currently paying interest) and cancel
    • Sell old pram on g*mtree
    • Sell bundles of baby clothes on Bay of E
    • Take out cash for remaider of month - £50 social, £30 p/week food (we have lots in freezer!)

Would love to hear from anyone else on maternity leave and how they are managing - or indeed anyone else on a debt busting journey!

Iíll have a look tomorrow / Saturday at posting a SOA, and Iím already keeping a spending diary for this month as the last few months have gone completely out of control!

Here goes
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin