Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 1,690Posts
    • 3,001Thanks
    SamsReturn
    UK City of Culture 2021: Coventry wins
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    UK City of Culture 2021: Coventry wins 7th Dec 17 at 8:48 PM
    Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

I don't think i've ever been to Coventry, what's it like.
    When Liverpool became Capital of Culture some years ago, it seemed to make a big difference. and i think things are still improving 'cos of it.
    So well done, you're in for a good time.
Page 1
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 7th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 13,613 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:58 PM
    Hopefully they knock down the ugly Britannia Hotel.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 1,690 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:15 PM
    Don't you like that Scarlet ?

https://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/the-britannia-hotel-coventry
    • ChesterBarnacle
    • By ChesterBarnacle 8th Dec 17, 9:47 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ChesterBarnacle
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:47 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:47 AM
    It is like a capital of deprivation award.
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 11th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 36,816 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:16 PM
    I've seen more culture in a Petri dish.......from a sample taken from any Coventry based takeaway.

How this souless extended student campus can win a culture award is beyond me. There is not one redeeming feature of this city, not even the people, sorry, students.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 11th Dec 17, 10:18 PM
    • 13,666 Posts
    • 26,014 Thanks
    onlyroz
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:18 PM
    The City of Culture status has done wonders for Hull this year. I wasn't overly impressed with Coventry when I visited (I considered going to the University of Warwick and the main thing that put me off was the prospect of living in Coventry or Leamington Spa for 3-4 years) but I wish them well.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 11th Dec 17, 10:18 PM
    • 11,575 Posts
    • 15,169 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    I've seen more culture in a Petri dish.......from a sample taken from any Coventry based takeaway.

How this souless extended student campus can win a culture award is beyond me. There is not one redeeming feature of this city, not even the people, sorry, students.
    Originally posted by JasonLVC
    Jason! I live in Coventry!

It's better than Aberdeenshire with its bus services run mainly by Stagecoach (although that monopoly's slowly being broken, but it took decades for the council to grow a pair of balls bigger than a meson).
    Married to an immigrant.
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • JasonLVC
    • By JasonLVC 11th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 15,032 Posts
    • 36,816 Thanks
    JasonLVC
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    Jason! I live in Coventry!

It's better than Aberdeenshire with its bus services run mainly by Stagecoach (although that monopoly's slowly being broken, but it took decades for the council to grow a pair of balls bigger than a meson).
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    I was born there, went to school there and left there!

Still have family there and visit them regularly but they live in Allesly and Stoke Green and only go to the IKEA if I really have to.

Where do Coventry people live and shop, because the centre is a giant student accommodation block and geared up for students (pubs and cheap tat), the council are taking the cash from developers but destroying the heart and soul of the city.

But sorry if I caused offence, I just have so much hate for my hometown.
    Anger ruins joy, it steals the goodness of my mind. Forces me to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind, a mind without regret. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 12th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 4,043 Posts
    • 8,339 Thanks
    uberalles
    • 12th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    • 12th Dec 17, 2:46 PM
    Coventry has been chosen to be the UK's City of Culture for 2021.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42272675

I don't think i've ever been to Coventry, what's it like.
    When Liverpool became Capital of Culture some years ago, it seemed to make a big difference. and i think things are still improving 'cos of it.
    So well done, you're in for a good time.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Haha. Culture and Coventry in the same sentence. Is it April Fools already?
    Lost fears of love come flooding back, every time you cry gives me a little heart attack
    There's fewer more distressing sights than that of an British man in a baseball cap.
    Grab a little pickle & a little slap & tickle, you have to throw a stone to get the pool to ripple.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,042Posts Today

4,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin