Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ufito
    • By ufito 7th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ufito
    Which heating source?
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:12 PM
    Which heating source? 7th Dec 17 at 8:12 PM
    So I have just moved into a rented studio and Im getting very worried about my energy bills. I have a store heater and a economy 7 meter. I also have an oil filled radiator.

Im really unsure about a few things. If I have an economy seven meter do I have to use and economy seven tariff or can I just have a regular tariff by using the total number of KW shown on my meter?

Also, what heating source shall I use? I normally and atm work around 4 evenings and when I come home I have been using the oil radiator for about three hours. Im happy to sleep with no heating and happy to go the first few hours of the morning without heating as I usually like to open windows and get some fresh air while I make some coffee and tidy up.

Im really unsure if I should use the storage heater and the economy seven tariff. I wont use any appliances at night. Washing machine and the ocasional dryer during the day only.

Can someone enlighten me? Im just so confuse and I dont want to recieve a bill on the 100s or more every month.
    My studio is just one big room but very high ceilings , victorian? large bay window.

Any help or guidance?
Page 1
    • jk0
    • By jk0 7th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,079 Posts
    • 23,603 Thanks
    jk0
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    Presumably you know the cost per unit for day rate & night rate?

Why don't you put the storage heater on for one week, and see if the total cost is more or less than last week with it off?
    • ufito
    • By ufito 7th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ufito
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    That is what I was thinking.. I am still to join an energy supplier. In the past Ive always had gas so choosing supplier was pretty straight forward. Economy seven seems to have a higher standing charge and obviously higher day time cost.

Just wondering if any other folks have been on similar situation.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 7th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,227 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:45 PM
    I am still to join an energy supplier.
    Originally posted by ufito
    You have joined an Energy supplier. You are on a legally binding deemed contract with the existing supplier.

I hope you have contacted them and given them your meter readings.
    • ufito
    • By ufito 7th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ufito
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    Not yet, I have meter readings from when I moved in to give them, moved in a week ago.
    How can I find out current suplier?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 8th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 27,114 Posts
    • 13,227 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:50 PM
    Not yet, I have meter readings from when I moved in to give them, moved in a week ago.
    How can I find out current suplier?
    Originally posted by ufito
    https://www.uswitch.com/gas-electricity/guides/who-supplies-my-electricity-and-gas/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

287Posts Today

1,465Users online

Martin's Twitter