Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 7th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 867Posts
    • 429Thanks
    Ganga
    New TV as computor monitor
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    New TV as computor monitor 7th Dec 17 at 6:27 PM
    I had an e-mail the other day from Talktalk,they are bringing out multi-room tv and are asking if i want to try it for free,the problem is i would watch it in the spare bedroom which at the moment holds my computor.
    So if i have to purchase a new flat screen tv to watch tv is it possible to use it as a computor monitor?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 7th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 1,013 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:41 PM
    If it has VGA, DVI or HDMI ports and your existing setup uses one of these then yes is the answer to your question.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 7th Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:51 PM
    If it has VGA, DVI or HDMI ports and your existing setup uses one of these then yes is the answer to your question.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Thanks for the reply/info.
    • Spank
    • By Spank 7th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    Spank
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:18 PM
    I don't know how this multi room system works, but if they are bixes that plug into a tv you probably have the ports to be able to plug it into your monitor.
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 7th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    treboeth
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    I don't know how this multi room system works, but if they are bixes that plug into a tv you probably have the ports to be able to plug it into your monitor.
    Originally posted by Spank
    What are these bixes that you speak of?

Is this the installer
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 7th Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:33 PM
    If the TV has ports that will accept connectors such as VGA or HDMI, it's possible. Read this for advice:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/tips-and-solutions/how-connect-pc-hdmi-tv

There is more here:
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/2924203/displays/use-your-tv-as-a-computer-monitor-everything-you-need-to-know.html

You may be a little disappointed with the picture when using the TVwith the computer, sometimes a TV does not provide a picture completely suitable for a monitor. What spec does the computer have?
    Last edited by Robisere; 07-12-2017 at 8:36 PM.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 8th Dec 17, 12:27 AM
    • 26,214 Posts
    • 10,469 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:27 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:27 AM
    Depending on what you use the monitor for a TV maybe a poor substitute for one.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    • 867 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:08 AM
    Thanks to everybody for the replies/information,will wait and see what Talktalk are charging for Multiroom package before rushing out and buying a new tv,the idea was good as it means i could watch the football whilst my wife/grandchildren could watch something else.
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 8th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 1,549 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    We bought an LG TV last year for use primarily as a monitor. It did say exlicitly on the box that it could be used as such, and it's been fine. But we're not using it for gaming or anything requires particularly high speed or resolution.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Dec 17, 11:19 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Yes It will work fine.
    Best if you have HDMI output on your computer

My main TV in the living room has a micro dell as its only source of input

If you only have VGA the picture wont be that great.
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 8th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 2,728 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Cisco001
    I used my TV as a monitor for years.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Dec 17, 1:32 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    societys child
    47" LG, with hdmi inputs, used mainly as monitor for over 5 years. No problem.

• RumRat
    • By RumRat 8th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    RumRat
    A TV will never be as good as a dedicated monitor.
    Saying you have used one for X amount of time without any further context means nothing.
    I occasionally look at a web page or two on my TV, but, I would not say I have used the TV as a PC monitor.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Dec 17, 2:51 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Ganga
    Thanks everybody for the replies,might be easier to purchase a low cost flat screen tv (24-36 inch ) and re-jig the spare room to accomadate the computor/keyboard/monitor and the tv,this is all depending on the cost of Talktalk "multiroom"
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 8th Dec 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    Saying you have used one for X amount of time without any further context means nothing.
    I occasionally look at a web page or two on my TV, but, I would not say I have used the TV as a PC monitor.
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I've been using a full HD 22" Samsung TV as my monitor for about 5 years, the other week I upgraded to a 26" full HD Samsung TV. I use it for around 8 hours 3 or 4 days a week for work (software developer) and for fun (gaming, video editing, general web browsing). I'd agree that buying a cheap TV and expecting it to be as good as a dedicated monitor is likely to be a disappointment for someone who uses the computer a lot, but if you choose the right TV it can work very well. Equally, if it's only for occasional use then you might not care about a cheap TV's shortcomings as a monitor.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Dec 17, 7:15 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Ganga
    I've been using a full HD 22" Samsung TV as my monitor for about 5 years, the other week I upgraded to a 26" full HD Samsung TV. I use it for around 8 hours 3 or 4 days a week for work (software developer) and for fun (gaming, video editing, general web browsing). I'd agree that buying a cheap TV and expecting it to be as good as a dedicated monitor is likely to be a disappointment for someone who uses the computer a lot, but if you choose the right TV it can work very well. Equally, if it's only for occasional use then you might not care about a cheap TV's shortcomings as a monitor.
    Originally posted by scottishblondie
    What are the shortcomings of using a tv as a computor monitor? is the picture quality not as good? any information is welcomed.
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 8th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    What are the shortcomings of using a tv as a computor monitor? is the picture quality not as good? any information is welcomed.
    Originally posted by Ganga
    TVs are really designed for you to view images at a distance. The problems occur when you then sit half a metre away and start trying to read your emails. The text can appear blurry and unreadable - either because you've picked a TV where the highest resolution is not appropriate to the size of the screen (e.g. a 30"+ HD ready a.k.a. 720p TV would be a terrible choice) or because the TV is trying to make what it's displaying look nice and applying anti-aliasing, which works great on images but makes text too blurry to read easily. So if you want to use a TV, don't get a giant one, and don't get a cheap one. I would stick at 28" down and make sure that it is full HD - capable of displaying a resolution of at least 1920x1080.

The other issue is one that more affects hardcore PC gamers (which I'm guessing you are not) and that is picture lag. I won't get in to that, as I don't think it is a concern here.

Getting a TV that meets the requirements of being a good monitor is definitely going to cost you more than a cheap TV of the same size - e.g. I spent £200 on the 26" TV I use as a monitor, but for the same money I could have bought a perfectly sufficient 32" TV that would have made a terrible monitor. So you need to consider how much screen space you want to have to watch the football on versus how much money you want to spend on this!
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 4,893 Posts
    • 5,333 Thanks
    societys child
    Originally posted by RumRat
    OK . .
    The large screen tv I use is mounted on the wall in my lounge. I lounge on my sofa, 5 to 7 feet away, I'm using it now to write this, just the same as I have done for years, all the usual pc stuff, banking, email, surfing, image enhancement, everything normal people use a pc for, g'kids use it for games when they visit. There's 3x 10" tablets knocking about, so people can do their 'own thing' anyway.

When anyone (family, visitors etc) want to search or look anything up, anyone in the room can be involved if they want, don't watch telly, just use pc, it's our 'entertainment centre' so the large screen on the wall is the monitor for my main pc, almost permanently on, and does all I need.

Got others - pc upstairs (with a 23" monitor) which gets very little use, why would anyone want to go sit upstairs in the little bedroom, all on their own?
    Another pc in the kitchen, with an old 32" flatscreen tv built into the wall units. doesn't get much use, but no problem to sit at the table ~4 feet away.

Is that enough context, not sure what you're looking for?
    Last edited by societys child; 08-12-2017 at 9:52 PM.

• RumRat
    • By RumRat 9th Dec 17, 12:00 AM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    RumRat
    OK . .
    The large screen tv I use is mounted on the wall in my lounge. I lounge on my sofa, 5 to 7 feet away, I'm using it now to write this, just the same as I have done for years, all the usual pc stuff, banking, email, surfing, image enhancement, everything normal people use a pc for, g'kids use it for games when they visit. There's 3x 10" tablets knocking about, so people can do their 'own thing' anyway.

When anyone (family, visitors etc) want to search or look anything up, anyone in the room can be involved if they want, don't watch telly, just use pc, it's our 'entertainment centre' so the large screen on the wall is the monitor for my main pc, almost permanently on, and does all I need.

Got others - pc upstairs (with a 23" monitor) which gets very little use, why would anyone want to go sit upstairs in the little bedroom, all on their own?
    Another pc in the kitchen, with an old 32" flatscreen tv built into the wall units. doesn't get much use, but no problem to sit at the table ~4 feet away.

Is that enough context, not sure what you're looking for?
    Originally posted by societys child
    Calm down...
    Thanks for the context.
    If it does all you need then happy days. It's still not going to be as good as a decent dedicated monitor for longer working stints.
    I've no doubt thousands of people use just their TV for their casual online needs. Wouldn't do for us all to be the same....
    I won't enter into the bragging battle over what tech is in the house.
    You enjoy your lounge on the sofa.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 9th Dec 17, 12:11 PM
    • 867 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    Ganga
    Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply,basically what i was looking for was a tv that i could watch sky football on away from the wife,as we only have a two bedroom house the spare room would e the lae t watch it but-in the spare room as well as a single bed for the grandchildren to stop over is my desk with a desktop comp with wireless keyboard and mouse and monitor so not a lot of room for a tv,if talktalk multi-room is anygood and the price is right i would like to watch tv in the spare room that is why i asked if a tv could replace the monitor that i am using now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,588Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin