Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jamiejoo
    • By Jamiejoo 7th Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jamiejoo
    New card. A bit confused. (Don't take much)
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    New card. A bit confused. (Don't take much) 7th Dec 17 at 6:23 PM
    hello everyone.

Going from this forums advice I've decided to take out an aqua card. It arrived yesterday with a limit of £450? Did not want that much but it's there I guess. It's used for shopping really to build credit. (Gave it too the misus&#129315 im just wondering how it works with repayments. Say I got nappies on the 6th of December. At what time would I have to pay full statement back?

Would it be the 6th of the next month again ? Can't quite grasp it.

And any advice for future reference would be greatfull. Jamie
Page 1
    • Weybridge78
    • By Weybridge78 7th Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Weybridge78
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:34 PM
    Your statement will tell you when payment is due.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 7th Dec 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:59 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:59 PM
    Repayments date differ to each person. It doesn’t go by first spend of the month. You will get a statement in post and will have payment by such and such. If you wait till near payment date be careful of spending as your new spends after statement has been produce will be added onto the balance. Be careful not to spend so near the limit.

When paying the payment give a few days buffer esp if it’s due on a Monday due to weekend or bank holidays. It could trigger late payment if you leave it so near the date and it doesn’t clear thus incurring interest and late payment fees
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 7th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,544 Posts
    • 3,633 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    Once your statement is created you will normally have approx 3 wks before the due date arrives.

Either, as above, leave a few days grace for the payment to reach them or set up a direct debit putting the onus on Aqua to take the payment on *time.

*If this option is preferred, it may not be set up in time for the next statement so double check.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 7th Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    • 1,041 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    phillw
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:12 PM
    Either, as above, leave a few days grace for the payment to reach them or set up a direct debit putting the onus on Aqua to take the payment on *time.
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    It's been a while since I did a manual payment, but I remember bank holiday weekends and the ridiculous lengths it used to take to clear payments meant I would now always pay a week before it's due.

But DD is so much easier, because if it doesn't go out because they forgot to take it or the bank messes up then you don't get penalised. I've even managed to talk my way out of charges when the DD failed because of insufficient funds in the account (although I had the funds available elsewhere and blamed the bank).
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    • 1,651 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 7:30 AM
    I use a mix of methods. Minimum payments are set up by DD on every card. For 0% deals I let that take its course. For cards I use regularly, such as Nationwide select, I make a manual payment of the full amount, which means the DD isn't taken. That isn't the case with all cards - some of them take it anyway.

I don't sweat the dates. A lot of my statements are reasonably late in the month 20th - 25th, giving latest dates to pay around 14th - 18th. I generally pay when I get paid - a couple of weeks earlier than I have to.

Faster payments are faster than older payments. Paying online it will appear on the credit card within two working days for most of them, but generally seems to be credited to the point you pay, or the first working day. So pay Monday morning - appear start of banking day Wednesday but be credited with Mondays date.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,921Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter