Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 7th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    • 1,729Posts
    • 8,989Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Does anyone have a kenwood mixer? Would you recommend it?
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:42 PM
    Does anyone have a kenwood mixer? Would you recommend it? 7th Dec 17 at 5:42 PM
    My ancient breville mixer died a few years back and I replaced it with a hand held electric whisk. That's died too now, and DH has offered to buy me a mixer for Christmas. We have some vouchers too to put towards it so I'm thinking of spoiling myself with a Kenwood. I know they are a lot but I think they last a lifetime?
    Does anyone have one? Would you recommend them or a different brand?
Page 1
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 7th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 21,065 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    I've got a Kenwood K-Mix and I love it. I spent ages deciding whether to go for a Kitchen Aid which was more expensive, in the end I decided I was just being seduced by the cool colours. As I recall the Kenwood has a more powerful motor.

I've had it about four years and it gets used at least once a week, often more. It makes great pastry, biscuits, bread dough and cakes. If I'm whisking egg whites or cream I tend to get my hand mixer out.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 7th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 3,215 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    maddiemay
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:24 PM
    I had a 1970's Kenwood Chef for years and years, in 2012 it finally died and after a lot of research and price comparisons I bought a Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 1400 Watt, Titanium from Amazon. Not available now and the replacement model is £400. As part of the package I got a glass jug liquidiser and also a food processor attachment. The Kitchen aid might look sexier, but I love my chef. The K-Mix looks good too.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 7th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 10,107 Posts
    • 24,927 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:25 PM
    Kenwood Chef here. Must be 30 years old and still going strong

I admit it doesn't get too much use nowadays but when I do use it, it's a reminder it's a work horse. Not pretty but hardly anything fazes it
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it

still singing, loud and clear
    • Lizabeth21
    • By Lizabeth21 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Lizabeth21
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    We had a kenwood chef for 30+ years before it’s motor gave up. Definitely Kenwood!
    • ladybabe
    • By ladybabe 8th Dec 17, 1:33 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 406 Thanks
    ladybabe
    • 8th Dec 17, 1:33 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 1:33 AM
    I had a kenwood mixer bought for me when i was 21, i only got rid of it due to a flood 15yrs later destroying the electrics. i replaced it with the new model (i think is not quite as good but still going strong) i have had it 6 yrs
    There are people so poor that the only thing they have is money
    • Mademoiselle
    • By Mademoiselle 8th Dec 17, 6:54 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 496 Thanks
    Mademoiselle
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:54 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 6:54 AM
    I still use, all be it occasionally my MIL Kenwood from 1957! Had to replace the electrical cable a few years ago but still going strong including the mincer attachment which gets used quite regularly! Always brings a smile to my face when I or my girls use it.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 8th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 6,696 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    I have a very old Kenwood, no model name on it, still going strong. Don't use it very often these days, except to make peanut butter. I also have a Kenwood mini chopper, use it every day to chop my nuts and seeds up for breakfast. Kenwood is good.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Floss
    • By Floss 8th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 4,107 Posts
    • 33,904 Thanks
    Floss
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 9:11 AM
    I have a Kenwood Chef - DH bought it for me about 5 years ago and we love it.. DH especially loves the sausage maker attachment

My mum had a Kenwood Chefette bought in 1970-ish...it lasted until she stopped baking in approx.2000 and was passed onto the daughter of a friend of hers, who used it for at least another 5 years.
    • dreaming
    • By dreaming 8th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 647 Posts
    • 2,795 Thanks
    dreaming
    I bought a Kenwood Chef with liquidiser attachment included, then bought some attachments for it (grater, slicer etc) as I have arthritis. However, when I tried to use the liquidiser for soup I found it was too tall for me to pour the soup into when attached to the machine. I then took the liquidiser off the machine and poured the soup in but then didn't get a good enough connection and when I tried to liquidise the soup it leaked all over the machine and into the motor (which is just below the liquidiser "port"), and the motor seized up. I found that it is a commonly-reported fault with the Kenwood. I also found the grater attachment a bit of a faff to use, and quite difficult to clean. In the end I sold the mixer and attachments and bought a processor for grating cheese etc. (still Kenwood) and reverted to a small hand mixer for cakes, and a hand held "blitzer" for soup. Although I can also use the processor for both of those if I wanted to. I do like the Kenwood brand but the Kenwood Chef just became a quite expensive ornament which took up quite a lot of room on the worktop.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 8th Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 6,974 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I have a K Mix which is very good - it came with a free blender to match. The blender is great for smoothies - I use a hand stick thing for soup as I make big batches and don't like it too smooth. I am not a big baker but DD is always knocking up batches of cupcakes and brownies with it for school fundraisers.
    • maryb
    • By maryb 9th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 3,453 Posts
    • 41,117 Thanks
    maryb
    I had a Kenwood Chef for many years and I knew I ought to love it but I just didn't for reasons I couldn't quite pin down. I sold it in the end and put the money towards a Kitchenaid even though on paper it's less powerful.

I love the Kitchenaid! It's a complete revelation to me and I still don't know why it's so much better than the Kenwood. My cakes are half an inch higher and the pastry is light and short.

Maybe my Kenwood had a quirk although I spent ages adjusting it to get the beater to scrape the bottom of the bowl properly. And I know I'm in the minority so obviously most people get on with theirs. What I would say is that a good stand mixer is definitely worth it
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • ziggy2004
    • By ziggy2004 9th Dec 17, 9:55 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    ziggy2004
    I have a kenwood chef and it is used at least 4 times a week, usually more.

I have the liquidiser jug but only use it for smoothies and milkshakes and use a stick blender for soup.

I have asked for the mini chopper attachment for Christmas this year and like that you can get a range of different attachments ( one day when I have more time I would love the pasta attachment)
    • marmiterulesok
    • By marmiterulesok 11th Dec 17, 9:42 AM
    • 7,410 Posts
    • 33,627 Thanks
    marmiterulesok
    Love mine!
    Nsd september 2/10
    I need to learn to budget again
    • Katieowl
    • By Katieowl 12th Dec 17, 5:51 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    Katieowl
    I'm on my second Kenwood, and I make cake for a living so it gets lots of use! Love some of the other gadgets too, I have a potato peeler, the dicing attachment and the mincer. Spare bowls are useful if you do two stage cakes.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 12th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 3,275 Posts
    • 6,916 Thanks
    jackyann
    I'm glad to hear such positive comments about Kenwood. I was given one over 40 years ago, it lasted about 30 years and I loved it so much that I got another. It was awful! It was not quite so bad that it wouldn't work, so I could never make a formal complaint, but it shook a lot, seemed to labour over mixes that the first one did well, it just never felt right. One or two I mentioned it to agreed with me.
    About 5 years ago, as part of a refurbishment, using a windfall, DH said he was fed up with me moaning and we got a fabulous Kitchen Aid (no, I wasn't seduced by the colours!). The motor was much more powerful, and I love it as much as my original Kenwood.
    However, recently I have been hearing the kind of comments above, and am glad. Do check the motor, and check that when you click it to left the arm up, that the machine remains sitting solidly on the counter.
    A machine that works hard needs to be a good weight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,720Posts Today

5,970Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin