Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TJKW
    • By TJKW 7th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TJKW
    Charged for Sold item but It didn't sell
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    Charged for Sold item but It didn't sell 7th Dec 17 at 5:31 PM
    Hi
    We had a Jukebox on ebay in November at a starting price of £1000 and it didn't sell.
    Whilst the auction was live we had contact from some one who wanted to come and look at it so gave out a mobile number for which we got a warning.
    The person decided against bidding on it and the item didn't sell during auction.

The Jukebox was then relisted at the end of November and finished on the 3rd December.(not selling again)

We received a bill for November with a selling fee of £99.96

After contacting ebay we were told that as far as they are concerned we had sold the Jukebox out of ebay as we gave out contact details and will not refund the fees.

Has any one got any advice on what legal road to take now please as we feel we do not owe these fees

Many thanks in advance
    Terry
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 11,444 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:44 PM
    Terry, you have fallen foul of eBay's new draconian policy whereby personal details cannot be exchanged pre-sale.

The only advice I can offer is to ring and speak with them and let them know the item didn't sell (citing the second listing details) and that it also failed to sell then.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 7th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 59,601 Posts
    • 42,297 Thanks
    soolin
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:04 PM
    This is the 2nd similar scenario now in 2 days so this appears to be eBay's latest move on the 'off ebay sales' . I haven't come across other cases yet on other boards but will probably have a read of the community boars later to see if this is widespread.

I might put a warning thread up , I did think we already had one but can't find it. Ebay is now not a safe place to sell items that could reasonably expect to be viewed.

OP, you might want to see if you can find others that have been similarly affected, perhaps try the community boards and see what advice people have for 'trigger words' that get ebay to listen and remove the charge.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • TJKW
    • By TJKW 7th Dec 17, 7:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TJKW
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:11 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:11 PM
    Have spoken to them twice and made an appeal... Left on hold for 2 minutes, told I was being referred to a supervisor , put on hold for another 2 minutes, and so on
    Then basically told tough s**t you'll have to pay it

A WARNING thread would be good also anything on social media Twitter Facebook etc to let people know what rip off merchants ebay are
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 11,444 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:13 PM
    If you are on social media, have you tried explaining on there.

The other option (and not one I necessarily agree with) is to refuse to pay and remove your card details from your seller account.

You won't be able to use eBay again (nor will anyone with a link to your name/account/home address/bank) but you probably don't care about that at the moment.
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 7th Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    Write to the mail or the guardian, they seem to get the stupid decisions reversed and this is a good one for either paper
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 7th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 15,393 Posts
    • 21,015 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:42 PM
    I seem to remember a couple of years ago someone taking eBay to court and winning. They sold a phone, the buyer claimed the box arrived empty, so eBay took the money from their paypal account.

The newspapers got on board and eBay backed down and refunded the money plus court fee before it got to court.

Personally I would consider going down this route as I feel their new rules are ridiculous. You can quite easily prove that you still have the jukebox in your possession, so would win!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Dox
    • By Dox 7th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Dox
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:54 PM
    How about resisting the jukebox now and then drawing ebay's attention to the fact you are selling it because it hasn't yet been sold? You are hardly likely to have 2 identical jukeboxes sitting around to sell.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 11,444 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:36 PM
    How about resisting the jukebox now and then drawing ebay's attention to the fact you are selling it because it hasn't yet been sold? You are hardly likely to have 2 identical jukeboxes sitting around to sell.
    Originally posted by Dox
    The OP has relisted it already. It didn't sell a second time.
    • Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 8th Dec 17, 10:38 AM
    • 119 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    OP, you committed the cardinal sin of trying to be helpful to a potential buyer.
    Ebay don't like that and in retaliation they stole nearly £100 off you.
    I'd definitely look at taking this further one way or another.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 8th Dec 17, 11:30 AM
    • 249 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Brynsam
    The OP has relisted it already. It didn't sell a second time.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    Nothing to stop them listing again in the hope that might drive home to ebay that it hasn't been sold yet.

OP, have you asked ebay to refer you the specific part of their T&C for sellers which entitles them to do this?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Dec 17, 11:39 AM
    • 11,444 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Nothing to stop them listing again in the hope that might drive home to ebay that it hasn't been sold yet.

OP, have you asked ebay to refer you the specific part of their T&C for sellers which entitles them to do this?
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    No need to ask eBay. It has been around for some months now.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

Policy overview

We don't allow our members to use eBay to contact each other to make offers to buy or sell items outside of eBay. Also, members can't use information obtained from eBay to contact each other about buying or selling outside of eBay.

Sellers are liable for fees arising out of all sales made using some or all eBay services, even if sales terms are finalised or payment is made outside of eBay.

Sellers are also liable for final value fees if they offer or reference their contact information, or ask for a buyer’s contact information, in the context of buying or selling outside of eBay for the introduction to the buyer, even if the item doesn't sell.

If you receive an offer to buy or sell outside eBay, please report it.

Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions. We may limit, restrict or suspend you from buying, selling or using site features. All of your listings may be removed, displayed lower or not shown in search results, without refunding any or all applicable fees. You may also forfeit special account status and any discounts. You may be subject to the application of fees and recovery of our expenses in policy monitoring and enforcement.
    The fact there is no evidence has sold is irrelevant as far as eBay are concerned. But calling and pleading to an understanding rep, may sort the situation out for the OP.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Dec 17, 4:29 PM
    • 59,601 Posts
    • 42,297 Thanks
    soolin
    No need to ask eBay. It has been around for some months now.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

The fact there is no evidence has sold is irrelevant as far as eBay are concerned. But calling and pleading to an understanding rep, may sort the situation out for the OP.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    There's still not a lot about this on the community boards, most of the posts I see concern restricted or suspended sellers and not ones being charged so this looks like a change in direction by ebay. I have posted a warning thread and also listed this thread on that warning post.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73534948#post73534948
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • TJKW
    • By TJKW 8th Dec 17, 5:22 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TJKW
    We have placed appeals several times but to no avail

Unfortunately they seem to have us and other sellers by the short and curlies very tightly
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 8th Dec 17, 5:26 PM
    • 4,862 Posts
    • 11,096 Thanks
    Money maker
    Originally posted by Dox
    Good question. The OP hasn't confirmed if they still have it yet.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 8th Dec 17, 7:07 PM
    • 11,444 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Good question. The OP hasn't confirmed if they still have it yet.
    Originally posted by Money maker
    The OP has confirmed they tried a second listing. A third is immaterial and won't change eBay's stance. The only hope is a call from the OP to eBay pleading for leniency.
    • TJKW
    • By TJKW 8th Dec 17, 9:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    TJKW
    As said before have called fee bay and asked for fees to be removed a BIG FAT NO was the answer
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Dec 17, 9:36 AM
    • 15,393 Posts
    • 21,015 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    I think I'd attempt a letter before action route to get them to refund. They have no ground to keep the money.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

206Posts Today

1,280Users online

Martin's Twitter