Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 7th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 2Thanks
    linaraman
    Buildings Insurance claim refused - Help
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:21 PM
    Buildings Insurance claim refused - Help 7th Dec 17 at 5:21 PM
    My leaking Jacuzzi bath & pump caused damage to the floor joists which needs replacing, but my insurance company decided to reject my claim. Please help me to understand how to challenge their decision and where can I find reliable independent loss adjuster to hire?
    My buildings insurance is with Legal & General who has appointed BV Solutions to assess my claim. Their representative inspected the property and rejected my claim marking it as un-insured loss due to sealant/grout failure. At the time of his appointment the bath was already removed to stop the leak and stored in the garden as the bath tub was leaking from the Jacuzzi jet nozzles situated against the wall. The work was carried out by the local plumber on Sunday who marked the whirlpool bath tub beyond economic repair (I have a report stating this). There is also additional report from the Home Emergency Team who attended immediately after the fault was reported to the insurance company. Their report is also confirms the primary damage was caused by the leak of bath tub jet nozzles and faulty pump (see attachment). However the surveyor still adamant that the cause of the damage is broken sealant that goes round the bath.
    This is the only bathroom in the household and we are family of 5 living with no washing facility at the moment and it's been a month since the bath was removed.
    I have filled a complaint with Legal and General last week, but it will take 6-8 weeks to receive their final decision.
    Ideally I would like to appoint my own independent loss adjuster who can inspect the property, assess the primary cause of damage and calculate repair costs, so that I can present this to the insurance company and if require present their findings and other evidence to the Financial Ombudsman should I need to escalate my complaint further.
    Any comments will be highly appreciated! I don't want to waste my time and money if I'm wrong and shouldn't be challenging them.
Page 2
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 15th Dec 17, 4:43 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    linaraman
    Best of luck to you. This will not work.

What exactly is a "non-financial claim" - are you after a letter of apology?
    Originally posted by Blibble
    Non-financial claim is for inconvenience and stress caused!! Not sure if people can picture themselves living with no where to wash. I have tiny sink and that is it.. Me and my two teenage daughters travelling to my sister's at least twice a week who lives 40 min drive away from me so that we can use a bath. My son and husband had to take gym memberships, so that they can have a shower. Crazy!! And all of this nightmare before Christmas...
    Last edited by linaraman; 18-12-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    • linaraman
    • By linaraman 9th Jan 18, 8:22 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    linaraman
    Just an update. The insurance company has now accepted their liability and I am waiting for them to appoint a loss adjuster who will be coming round to calculate the repair costs. So pleased with an outcome.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

216Posts Today

1,941Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin