Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 7th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 76Thanks
    Bath cube
    First Christmas without a pet
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:14 PM
    First Christmas without a pet 7th Dec 17 at 5:14 PM
    I'm not looking forward to Christmas this year. It's the first without my cat, she died in June after 19 years of being with us. When I put the tree up she always sniffed it and looked amazed. Also a neighbour has a tuxedo cat and it is getting a lovely winter coat on. I miss not seeing that this year. We buried tiggy in our garden and I will be putting red roses on her grave on Christmas Eve. Her Mr snugs kat den sits on our patio looking lost too. I don't know how to feel.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 7th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 2,409 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:27 PM
    Think of all your happy memories. Is it too soon to get another cat? There could be a fur babe in an animal shelter just waiting for the loving home you could give him/her.
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 8th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Happibunni
    • 8th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 4:28 PM
    Firstly, Bath Cube, may I express how sorry I am that you lost your girl in June. We lost our man, Benny, to cancer that same month and the "emptiness" that he left behind was keenly felt, cats may be small but they do tend to fill a house with their presence.

I think it's a lovely idea to lay flowers on her grave.

We weren't going to have another cat for a while, everyone needs to grieve in their own time, but were going to discuss again in the New Year. That was until we saw Elsa (now Belle) on the sspca website in September and decided the time was right. To be honest, hubby and I were pretty miserable without our wee man and figured we could offer her a good home and life.

She will never replace Ben but the house is, once again, a home. Only you can decide when you are ready though.

Take care xx
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 10th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 10th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 12:35 PM
    A new pet fills a hole in terms of the house feeling empty if you feel ready, but the first Christmas without a specific pet is always going to be hard. Went through it last Christmas with our dog (had to be put to sleep in the August.)

The red roses are a lovely idea, wish I'd thought of it last year.

*Hugs* to you
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 10th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    • 10th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 11:08 PM
    Bath Cube think of all that love in your hearts that could be given to another fur baby. No it won't be a replacement for your lost love. Each one is an individual, but out there is a little lost sole, may be an older cat, that wants to sit under a Christmas tree again and would just love your Mr snugs kat den. I know this is your decision and yours alone. I lost my old cat at the age of 21 so know only too well how you feel.

Big hugs to you.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 11th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 11th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    think of all that love in your hearts that could be given to another fur baby. No it won't be a replacement for your lost love. Each one is an individual, but out there is a little lost sole, may be an older cat, that wants to sit under a Christmas tree again and would just love your Mr snugs kat den.
    Originally posted by Apoorwoman
    I went 15 years without a pet and may well end up doing so again in future when the time comes to say goodbye, but I love this sentiment, it brings a tear to my eye, and is really the best way to look at it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

1,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin