Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • st999
    • By st999 7th Dec 17, 5:03 PM
    • 1,160Posts
    • 643Thanks
    st999
    Leaving car park. Scotland
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:03 PM
    Leaving car park. Scotland 7th Dec 17 at 5:03 PM
    There is a large retail park with parking that has recently put up signs saying that if you leave the car park (leaving the car but walking away from the car park) you will be subject to a penalty.

The retail park and car park is actually divided by a road.

Numerous times I park the car and my wife goes to the shops where I park and I go to the DIY shop across the road.

Or we park across the road and my wife goes to a supermarket which has it's own car park but it is easier to go to the retail car park if the supermarket car park is busy or there is a queue for the petrol station blocking the road.

I then go to the DIY shop then sometimes across the road to the electrical store while my wife shops in the stores associated with the car park.

Am I leaving the car park?

And can they actually do anything other than stick bits of "useless" paper on your car and send threatening letters a few weeks later?

St. Catherines retail park in Perth
    Last edited by st999; 07-12-2017 at 5:06 PM.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 7th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    • 16,938 Posts
    • 21,077 Thanks
    Redx
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:07 PM
    if they know who the driver is , then yes they might issue a court case via the sheriff

as there is no keeper liability in scotland and the keeper is unlikely to dob the driver in, they are usually up the creek with no paddle

and proving somebody left the site is notoriously difficult to enforce anywhere in the uk

if a CEO saw somebody leaving the site then that CEO should stop them and warn them of the possible consequences, which never happens (remember the bring your toothbrush case ?) , plus if it is NOT the driver then how can a driver be responsible ? the driver might be actually using the retailer in question, but not a passenger

so sounds like empty threats to me
    Last edited by Redx; 07-12-2017 at 5:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 33,606 Posts
    • 17,511 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:08 PM
    Parking in Scotland is covered in the Newbies FAQ thread

Everyone is politely asked to read up in the Newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

616Posts Today

4,528Users online

Martin's Twitter