Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Got2Save
    • By Got2Save 7th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 68Thanks
    Got2Save
    Do charity shops mind if you find work shortly after starting work with them?
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:38 PM
    Do charity shops mind if you find work shortly after starting work with them? 7th Dec 17 at 3:38 PM
    If someone started volunteering for a charity shop, but then shortly after found employment, do the charity shop management look poorly at that? Has anybody here been in this situation and how was it?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 1,230 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:41 PM
    If someone started volunteering for a charity shop, but then shortly after found employment, do the charity shop management look poorly at that? Has anybody here been in this situation and how was it?
    Originally posted by Got2Save
    It depends on a whole range of other aspects.

Ultimately does it matter?
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 7th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 252 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:57 PM
    Wouldn't of thought so.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 7th Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 4,409 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 5:40 PM
    If a charity shops looks poorly on somebody gaining paid employment, they aren't being very charitable are they?
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 7th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:42 PM
    Why not ask them outright - if doing it for a reference you are best trying to get hold of their policy anyway, nowadays, I'm afraid.

Reference giving isn't a statutory duty.

I recently started a month long temporary job which gave out brand new uniform/safety boots whether they are inconvenienced or not.

With reason, you look after number one.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    Until recently I was a volunteer manager, recruiting and managing volunteers. Not only was it hard to find volunteers to begin with, it was hard to keep them. Unless it was a retired person, they usually left for paid work. Its expected. It was sad to lose a good volunteer but I felt happy for them.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 7,710 Posts
    • 5,570 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 10:43 AM
    Surely if a charity shop takes on an unemployed volunteer, they should be expecting them to be looking elsewhere for paid employment?
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Dec 17, 1:56 AM
    • 37,844 Posts
    • 34,237 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 10th Dec 17, 1:56 AM
    • 10th Dec 17, 1:56 AM
    People have all sorts of reasons for volunteering, and charities know this.

Some charities will spell out the minimum commitment they're looking for - we ask for one shift a month (it's not retail), for at least a year, because there's some initial training we provide and it takes time for you to be really useful.

Having said that, our volunteers are ... volunteers! So we completely understand if 'life' gets in the way, or you find our work is not for you, or you do get a job. We just ask you to think before you volunteer about what you can commit to - and if you're planning to go round the world in six months time, and you told us that, we'd respectfully suggest that now is not the time to start volunteering with us.

So yes, ask what commitment they're asking for. If they're vague, explain your situation. But remember, you are a volunteer. :-)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 10th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 10th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    I think you just need to be honest with people. If you tell them that you are happy to volunteer but may find it difficult once you find work, that's perfectly fine.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 10th Dec 17, 7:20 PM
    • 18,827 Posts
    • 19,143 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    ...and if you could find it in your heart to do something like a shift a month (on a Saturday or Sunday maybe?) I'm sure they would be delighted. AND it would help the charity........
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,089Posts Today

6,592Users online

Martin's Twitter