Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 7th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    • 844Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Is it worth getting a diesel in 2017/2018?
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:34 PM
    Is it worth getting a diesel in 2017/2018? 7th Dec 17 at 3:34 PM
    I see this posted quite often but I'd like a diesel but I'm not sure if it'd be suitable for the driving/mileage I do..

Currently running a 2011, 1.2L Petrol Corsa. I'm averaging around 200 - 300 miles a week, 12,000 - 16,000 miles a year in it, I'd say 70/80% of the miles I run up are motorway miles. But if there's one thing I'm realising, it's that it's costing me a fortune to run. A mixture of city and motorway driving within a week, I get around 28mpg which is quite poor, I used to get about 34 from it.

I work 3 miles away from home, and leave in the early hours of the morning so there's no traffic, it's straight there. Coming back is usually rush hour but I'm only stuck at most 5 - 10 minutes. I also commute to university at 10 miles away from home, but that commute isn't as often with me being in my third year, this involves the motorway and it's usually flowing smoothly even at rush hour. And then every now and then I'll travel down the country to see a friend, using 98% motorway and dual carriageways so its a straight good motorway run basically for 100 miles. Or trips to the coast, which both of these journeys happen more often during the summer time.

I'm going to be buying a new car soon, chances are it'll be new and I'm looking at 1.6L Diesels, which the dealer specs, and user reviews of various cars seem to be offering double the mileage to what I'm getting now.

I don't know if it's worth it though if I'm mainly doing short journeys. Although as much as the journeys may be short, I definitely make up for these the weekends I go away. I just don't know what to do. And then there's all the talks recently about the prices of diesel and the government wanting to tax it, even though they want to get rid of both petrol and diesel by 2040..
Page 1
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 7th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 2,585 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:14 PM
    You haven't explained why:

I'd like a diesel
    I suspect it's the attraction of low RFL and high MPG but these are just two relatively small considerations when thinking about which engine to buy.
    £2017 in 2017 - £6362.49
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 7th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:27 PM
    Yes it is if you're getting a used one.
    • WobblyDog
    • By WobblyDog 7th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    WobblyDog
    • 7th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    Your fuel consumption figures are surprisingly poor. Have you asked a garage to check the engine? My 2011 Fiesta with a 1.25 litre pertrol engine returns 48mpg, with mostly motorways and a light foot.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 7th Dec 17, 6:55 PM
    • 7,676 Posts
    • 8,290 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    That mileage could easily be done on pretty much any recent electric vehicle for hardly anything, rather than just the difference between petrol and diesel, plus with hugely lower maintenance costs (unless you buy a BMW i3 )

Dunno what you'd pay for a car but you can get a new electric vehicle for well under £300 a month (mine is £200 but i only do 6k miles). Look at Zoe and Kia Soul to start with.

If you dont fancy an EV I wouldn't be running a diesel on all those short journeys, and the resale price in a few years time will take back any savings you might think you made on fuel so I'd go for petrol.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    takman
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    I work 3 miles away from home, and leave in the early hours of the morning so there's no traffic, it's straight there. Coming back is usually rush hour but I'm only stuck at most 5 - 10 minutes.
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    A 3 mile trip sounds perfect for a bicycle. Plus if you start in the early hours then you probably experience a frozen windscreen and windows on your card; no need to spend time defrosting a bike!.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 7,199 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 12:51 PM
    I’d be looking at why mpg from your car is so bad.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 8th Dec 17, 5:25 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    • 8th Dec 17, 5:25 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 5:25 PM
    Your fuel consumption figures are surprisingly poor. Have you asked a garage to check the engine? My 2011 Fiesta with a 1.25 litre pertrol engine returns 48mpg, with mostly motorways and a light foot.
    Originally posted by WobblyDog
    I've had nothing but trouble with this car since I got it last year. Bought it August 2016 and had it back to the dealership at least twice a month for the first five months before I just gave up trying with them. Asked them to fix my performance issues, they kept me waiting for four hours, brought me my keys and they were like "We've managed to locate the rattle and we've fixed it for you.."

I had a full on rant about it on a 'few' threads on here for months, but unfortunately I still have the car. But I'm in need of something more practical anyway now so I'm shopping around. I've took my car into my friend's garage who says it is just a trait with Corsas, they're too heavy in bodywork
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,155Posts Today

5,578Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin