Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pinkflamingo1965
    • By pinkflamingo1965 7th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pinkflamingo1965
    Use of home figures for tax return
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:43 PM
    Use of home figures for tax return 7th Dec 17 at 2:43 PM
    Hi everyone,

I work from home full-time as a sole trader in a rented property. I use one of the 5 rooms in the house just for work. So I gather I can claim for 20% (one-fifth) of the rent etc. But I also use the other rooms from time to time (usually depending on the weather as my study is so cold this time of year!). So could I claim a higher percentage? And if so, is there an easy way of working out what this might be?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! I can't find anything on this on the internet.

Many thanks in advance
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 7th Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 3:05 PM
    https://www.freeagent.com/guides/expenses/working-from-home-expenses-sole-traders/
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 7th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 5,550 Posts
    • 4,933 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:46 PM
    the link above from thecyclingprogrammer is only a different way of presenting the official HMRC info anyway

there is no rigid method you must use, the rules are it has to be a reasonable method, number of rooms as % or floorspace by % are the 2 obvious reasonable methods...
    https://www.gov.uk/expenses-if-youre-self-employed

as you state the property is rented anyway you escape the trap that if you have a dedicated room used only for business it impacts your CGT when you sell. Obviously that is irrelevant in your case so you could claim 100% if you are prepared to justify that if you are ever unlucky enough to be selected for review by HMRC in the future.
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 7th Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 4,659 Posts
    • 6,111 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    00ec hits the nail on the head.

You self report to HMRC. Whilst there are guidelines there isnt anythin gset. Its based on judgement. So you could claim a higher percentage but i would base that decision on what you think your ability is of convincing and unknown tax inspector that your expense is allowable. If they agree, good. If they dont..... not good. Youll also invite a fine tooth comb but if theyre checking the % of house use youre probably already at that stage.

Personally i would say any use of the other rooms make use of the usual study room obsolete. So would be reluctant to suggest using your approach.

I think personally i would look at getting the heating sorted for that room and getting that allowable expense apportioned properly.
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

2,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin