Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • roytom
    • By roytom 7th Dec 17, 2:25 PM
    • 264Posts
    • 35Thanks
    roytom
    Seagate USB external hard drive not visible
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:25 PM
    Seagate USB external hard drive not visible 7th Dec 17 at 2:25 PM
    No longer visible by windows.
    It’s an older Freeagent (500gb) drive that stands vehicle with a mini usb socket (not micro). It goes back a few years at least.
    It’s powering up but I cannot discover it on windows - it illuminated orange strip lights up.
    My friend said he could hear a clicking sound which I seem to recall from the past is bad news.
    Any chance of recovering the data stored on it?

Thanks
    Last edited by roytom; 07-12-2017 at 2:53 PM. Reason: update
Page 1
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 7th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 14,953 Posts
    • 127,808 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 4:02 PM
    No longer visible by windows.
    Itís an older Freeagent (500gb) drive that stands vehicle with a mini usb socket (not micro). It goes back a few years at least.
    Itís powering up but I cannot discover it on windows - it illuminated orange strip lights up.
    My friend said he could hear a clicking sound which I seem to recall from the past is bad news.
    Any chance of recovering the data stored on it?

Thanks
    Originally posted by roytom
    More info please.
    Was it ever visible on the same USB socket on the same computer you're using it on now?
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • roytom
    • By roytom 7th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    Ta, yes always visible there before.

I’ve looked at the YouTube vids on fixing a jammed hard drive and if needs be I’ll dismantle the drive as a total last resort.
    • googler
    • By googler 7th Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 14,474 Posts
    • 9,348 Thanks
    googler
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:47 PM
    Yes, take the drive out of the USB caddy and connect it directly to your motherboard as an internal secondary drive (assuming you have a desktop PC available - put it in another caddy if you don't)
    • roytom
    • By roytom 7th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    roytom
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:52 PM
    I’ll give that a go, I have a stand-alone usb external hard drive connector I can try first.
    • were
    • By were 7th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    were
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    those old drives they were heavy on power usage. if you used a normal long usb cable they would not work, or keep spinning up and down.

They were supplied with short fat-ish cables

If the disk is still not recognisable and you have to open it, hopefully is a sata drive with a usb addon, and not a bespoke usb only one. If it is sata plug it into your motherboard
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter