Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ajm410
    • By ajm410 7th Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    • 136Posts
    • 32Thanks
    ajm410
    Misrepresented house sale has fallen through - can I claim for costs?
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:24 PM
    Misrepresented house sale has fallen through - can I claim for costs? 7th Dec 17 at 2:24 PM
    Hi all,

I've recently tried buying a flat, which has fallen through as a result of it being misrepresented to me.

It was advertised as a share of the freehold property, for which a price was agreed upon; however, upon my solicitor receiving contracts from the seller's, it turned out that it was in fact a leasehold property with a short lease. I was told this mistake was due to the seller misunderstood the situation when listing the flat with the estate agent...

Despite my annoyance, I said I would be prepared to continue if they take half the estimated cost of renewing the lease (which I planned to undertake after living there for 2 years) of the agreed price (appox. 5k) - they have said that they are not prepared to do this, and so I have told them I do not wish to proceed.

Obviously, I have incurred some legal costs throughout this process due to this misrepresentation - does anyone know if I am in a position where I can attempt to claim it back from the seller/agent easily?

Thanks as always!
Page 2
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 7th Dec 17, 9:47 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    kinger101
    Correct, but as I said, a share of the freehold is not a leasehold. The freehold can be owned by a company, a person, a group of people, or the group of people who are the leaseholders. In the case you mention, the leaseholders may pay themselves (the shareholders of the freehold) rent etc, but kinger101 is wrong in his/her statement.
    Originally posted by Mutton Geoff
    But I said the "share of freehold" property is a leasehold property, which is correct. It was already implicit that OP wasn't interested in solely purchasing the share of the freehold. It is possible that they just didn't understand what this meant.
    Last edited by kinger101; 07-12-2017 at 9:54 PM.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Dec 17, 3:49 AM
    • 30,859 Posts
    • 18,458 Thanks
    getmore4less
    EA checking what they are selling

They don't even check the person selling owns it.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Dec 17, 6:53 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 2,500 Thanks
    csgohan4
    it is your responsibility to check the lease not the EA. For the price of £3 you could have obtained the land registry records.

An expensive lesson for you. If you see an EA lips moving, they are lying
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,394Posts Today

7,913Users online

Martin's Twitter