Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 7th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,351Posts
    • 1,637Thanks
    andromedean
    By-passing local Pharmacy using an electronic prescription service
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:18 PM
    By-passing local Pharmacy using an electronic prescription service 7th Dec 17 at 2:18 PM
    I'm rather tired of ordering prescription medicines via my local Pharmacy. Sometimes I can wait in a queue for ages only to find they haven't received half the drugs yet, or even sent out the order due to some admin error!

Today, I received a leaflet from Pharmacy2U who claim to by-pass the Pharmacy altogether.
    1. they remind you when your supply is due to run out,
    2. you then ask them to contact your Doctor, who sends out the prescription to them,
    3. they send the medicines by post to your door free of postage. They will also send it to a local Pharmacy if instructed, although I can't see the point of this.

Has anyone used this type of service? How reliable or convenient is it?
    Last edited by andromedean; 07-12-2017 at 2:22 PM.
Page 1
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 7th Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    • 4,106 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    Linda32
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 7:14 PM
    Yes I've used them quite a few times.

When I used them you set up what you need on their website as per your prescription.

Say if the GP give you 60 paracetamol (for example) you order these on Pharmacy2u website.

They arrive in the post after about 5 days.

After that, you just click on the item and then the tablets arrive just the same.

I think if I remember I only went back to ordering through our surgery when they introduced on-line ordering. So I order through them. 2 working days later I pick up from the pharmacy. I only need one item and it is always in stock.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 7th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:02 PM
    I use echo and they have an app. Although I have forgotten to use it lately due to post man nearly breaking our letter box
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 7th Dec 17, 8:26 PM
    • 8,628 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:26 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 8:26 PM
    Boots service works in a very similar manner for me.

They hold my repeat prescription which I can alter any time up to they call to ask me when I want delivery. My GP registered them as my dispensers , so every 28 days Boots send an electronic request and receive a prescription next day.

As Tramadol is controlled they have to send someone in to hand deliver a request then collect a printed prescription next day, but this fits in with their daily collection and delivery visits.

The advantage is that if they or I (happened last week) make a mistake an emergency request can be made for an item which is dispensed next day.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,863 Thanks
    Judi
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:26 PM
    My own chemist offers this service and i use it. Ive not had any problems with it and a 3 monthly supply is delivered to my door. Works out very well for me.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 8th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 48,972 Posts
    • 598,945 Thanks
    bubbs
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:42 AM
    Boots service works in a very similar manner for me.

They hold my repeat prescription which I can alter any time up to they call to ask me when I want delivery. My GP registered them as my dispensers , so every 28 days Boots send an electronic request and receive a prescription next day.

As Tramadol is controlled they have to send someone in to hand deliver a request then collect a printed prescription next day, but this fits in with their daily collection and delivery visits.

The advantage is that if they or I (happened last week) make a mistake an emergency request can be made for an item which is dispensed next day.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I use boots too and they text me when my script is ready, so just go down and collect then tick what you want next time
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 7lb week 38
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 8th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    andromedean
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    • 8th Dec 17, 11:18 AM
    I might ask my local Chemist HA McParland who hold my repeat prescription if they do this, it all seems a bit pointless ordering medicines at regular intervals, if they could be delivered automatically. What's annoying is that they must know I need them, yet fail to get sufficient stock in, in time.

Actually they seem to do it according to this, but I have asked them before.

https://www.hamcparland.co.uk/prescriptions

Perhaps this is the catch, FREE UK DELIVERY on orders over £40.

Are the other completely free irrespective of the amount? Unfortunately, My GP has started to issue prescriptions only when the medication is due to run out, so it'll be one at a time.
    Last edited by andromedean; 08-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/829082/Pharmacy2U-repeat-prescriptions-NHS-P2U-Leeds-direct-mail

https://www.digitalhealth.net/2017/07/pharmacy2u-found-unsafe-and-ineffective-by-cqc/
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 8th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 2,040 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 8th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    I use Echo too - works well for repeat prescriptions, free and speedy delivery.
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 10th Dec 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    andromedean
    From that Express link:

Joseph Sinclair, a managing director from Edgware, north London, said he signed up to P2U after seeing an advertisement in 2015.

He said: “At first I thought it was fantastic. They reminded me when my medicines needed to be reordered and the medicines came through the letter box. Suddenly the medicines stopped coming.

“I couldn’t get a satisfactory reply as to why – they just said they were out of stock. They kept making excuses and promised the medicines would be sent but they weren’t. I had to go back to my local pharmacy to get my prescription filled.
    It's the sort of thing I was frightened of, since reliability is essential if waiting until the last minute! GPs now want to write the prescription just as it's running out which is disastrous without 100% reliability

This was also in the Express as well:

Chemists are set to charge for home deliveries due to cuts

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/890320/pharmacy-home-deliveries-set-to-charge
    Last edited by andromedean; 10-12-2017 at 7:27 PM.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 10th Dec 17, 7:45 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Today, I received a leaflet from Pharmacy2U who claim to by-pass the Pharmacy altogether.
    Originally posted by andromedean
    I had one of those too. I'm not keen, because it's not clear which date your PPC has to be valid: the date you request, the date the DR prescribes, the date it's dispatched, or the date it's received.

They kept making excuses and promised the medicines would be sent but they weren’t.
    I've just had that with the surgery. It took an hour and a half of phone calls and 8 miles of trips to the chemist before I finally got my meds a fortnight after the previous lot ran out.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Dec 17, 8:42 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    OH has been using Pharmacy2U for a while now, without incident.

Before, when we were ordering direct from the GPs, he had to remember to ask me to ring them (he can't rely on having mobile coverage where he works), I had to remember to ring them, then I had to spend ages trying to get through, and then we had to wait 2 days before they would be at the pharmacy. And then I had to go and get them.

Now, when he realises he needs more meds, he just goes online and they arrive a couple of days later, posted through the letterbox so it doesn't even matter if there's no-one in.
    • Energize
    • By Energize 10th Dec 17, 9:27 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Energize
    I had one of those too. I'm not keen, because it's not clear which date your PPC has to be valid: the date you request, the date the DR prescribes, the date it's dispatched, or the date it's received.
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    It's the day it's dispensed by the pharmacy. Just as if you were to take a physical prescription to a pharmacy.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 10th Dec 17, 9:33 PM
    • 1,877 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    comeandgo
    even though I live in remote highlands our doctors and boots the chemist do all that between them. No need for us to involve a third party.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 11th Dec 17, 1:21 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 2,506 Thanks
    alanq
    If the pilots of NHS Prescription ordering direct (POD) are successful and it is rolled out it may put a stop to these other services.

My local GPs will not accept repeat prescription slips direct to the surgery nor from pharmacists. One has to call POD and order by phone. The prescription is then sent electronically to ones chosen pharmacy and the medicines are available to collect within 2/3 working days. The aim is to reduce the dispensing of unneeded medicines.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 11th Dec 17, 1:52 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    jack_pott
    It's the day it's dispensed by the pharmacy. Just as if you were to take a physical prescription to a pharmacy.
    Originally posted by Energize
    Yes I thought it probably would be, in which case you won't know exactly when that will be. If they dispense on the day after your PPC runs out you'll end up getting fined. (On the High St. it has to be valid on the day I collect, not the date the pharmacist prints the label to stick on the packet, so I always know I have a valid PPC first.)
    Last edited by jack_pott; 11-12-2017 at 1:56 PM.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Dec 17, 7:50 PM
    • 3,998 Posts
    • 2,969 Thanks
    sheramber
    My GP surgery dispenses its own prescriptions ( a rural area with no local chemist) but they sometimes run out of something. Not because they haven't ordered it but because their supplier hasn't got any.

I had to change one my drugs because their supplier was no longer supplying it.

My husband has a prescription which my surgery cannot get. It was prescribed by the hospital. So he has to order a prescription from the surgery and take that to a chemist 20miles away , who can get it. But they have to order it in as in as he is one of only two people who use it and it needs to be kept in the fridge. So they do not keep stocks of it as they cannot return it if not sold.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Dec 17, 6:30 PM
    • 8,628 Posts
    • 5,100 Thanks
    teddysmum
    My GP surgery dispenses its own prescriptions ( a rural area with no local chemist) but they sometimes run out of something. Not because they haven't ordered it but because their supplier hasn't got any.

I had to change one my drugs because their supplier was no longer supplying it.

My husband has a prescription which my surgery cannot get. It was prescribed by the hospital. So he has to order a prescription from the surgery and take that to a chemist 20miles away , who can get it. But they have to order it in as in as he is one of only two people who use it and it needs to be kept in the fridge. So they do not keep stocks of it as they cannot return it if not sold.
    Originally posted by sheramber

Big companies like Boots, Lloyds etc can get virtually any drug, given 24 hours.

I was prescribed a rare drug that neither my GP nor the Boots pharmacist had even heard of but Boots had it ready next day. (It didn't work).
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 2,504 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Originally posted by Energize
    It's not. It's when it is collected at the pharmacy which can be days after the pharmacist has dispensed them.

It is quite common for the PPC savvy person to purchase PPC on the morning before collecting a prescription that had previously been sent to the pharmacy.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 12th Dec 17, 10:39 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    Just had a problem with Pharmacy2U (although not of their making) so I thought I would pop back.

OH orders his repeat prescriptions through them, and hasn't had any issues. However, he recently needed to see the doctor and was prescribed some meds that may have side effects - which could be treated with another med. He did indeed suffer from the side effects, so I rang the surgery and ordered the other med.

And it was sent via Pharmacy2U. I'd thought that they would only do repeats, and that 'one off' prescriptions would go to the pharmacy like they used to. Obviously I was wrong, and I now know that if I need a prescription to go to the pharmacy I have to specifically request it. It's meant that meds that we were expecting to get on Monday won't arrive until tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin