Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RonWooney
    • By RonWooney 7th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    • 86Posts
    • 28Thanks
    RonWooney
    Sent off item but buyer hasn't received it
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:01 PM
    Sent off item but buyer hasn't received it 7th Dec 17 at 1:01 PM
    I sent a buyer an item 2 weeks ago but she hasn't received it and according to the tracking it hasn't arrived. It was supposed to arrive within 3 days.

What should I do at this point, am I entitled to any seller protection, should I be refunding the buyer even though I am now out of pocket for £75.
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 7th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 4,932 Posts
    • 3,933 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    If the item hasn't arrived then you aren't entitled to any seller protection, you will need to claim through your courier
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Why are you out of pocket for £75? Did you insure the parcel? Which service did you use?

Has the buyer opened a case?
    • RonWooney
    • By RonWooney 7th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    RonWooney
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:14 PM
    I'll try to be more clear, I underinsured the item so I will be out of pocket, fully my fault. The courier was Parcelforce.

So it looks like I will only get a partial refund from Parcelforce and have to refund the buyer.

What happens if the buyer opens a case against me, could ebay side with me as I have a tracking number or should I just refund the buyer immediately and chalk it down to an expensive lesson learned?
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:17 PM
    That's a bit clearer.

Firstly, what does the tracking show?

Secondly, don't do anything until the buyer opens a case. When they do you have up to 8 days to refund, so if the tracking is likely to update it may do so in those precious days.

You must refund on (or just before) the 8th day to avoid them escalating the case. You will only win a case if your tracking shows the item has been delivered.
    • RonWooney
    • By RonWooney 7th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    RonWooney
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:22 PM
    Tracking shows item was collected from the customer and processing but no activity for over a week. Looks like it's completely vanished.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    You should be chasing it up with Parcelforce. Try them on email, telephone and social media. If the case is open then your 8 days are ticking away.
    • RonWooney
    • By RonWooney 7th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    RonWooney
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:33 PM
    Appreciate all the advice, I was hoping ebay seller protection would compensate me for my missing item.

So looks like it's best to just refund the buyer and chase up the courier for the £20 it was covered for.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 1:44 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:44 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:44 PM
    Appreciate all the advice, I was hoping ebay seller protection would compensate me for my missing item.

So looks like it's best to just refund the buyer and chase up the courier for the £20 it was covered for.
    Originally posted by RonWooney
    Ebay won't compensate you or the buyer. The protection is for the buyer or seller depending on what the tracking shows. If it shows delivered then the seller is protected. If it doesn't then the buyer is protected, but the funds come from the seller.

But no, it isn't best to just refund. Have another read of posts 5 and 7.
    • RonWooney
    • By RonWooney 7th Dec 17, 1:53 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    RonWooney
    Okay so I'll wait it out a bit and in the meantime chase up parcelforce.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 7th Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 11,420 Posts
    • 7,689 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Yes. Reassure the buyer you are doing all you can (if they ask), ride out the days chasing PF and make a decision to refund late on day 7 if the tracking isn't updated. Whatever you do, don't refund without a case being opened.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 7th Dec 17, 3:17 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Dox
    Might be worth having a look at what seller protection actually covers, for future reference: https://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/private/how-we-protect
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,103Posts Today

7,909Users online

Martin's Twitter