Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shadowst17
    • By shadowst17 7th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    shadowst17
    Really confused about how first month House Share rent in advance works.
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:49 AM
    Really confused about how first month House Share rent in advance works. 7th Dec 17 at 10:49 AM
    Hello, I'm really confused how the first months rent in a house share works as it's done in advance. Here's an example that I can't figure out the answer to.

Say I decide to move into a place on the 15th December. Like any house share I have to pay the deposit and first month of rent in advance. Now lets say the typical rent pay for the house is the 27th of each month. Do I then again pay a full month's rent on that day? Do I skip that and pay next months but with the 15ish days reducted from it?

This whole thing confuses me, I have to move to London before 2nd January when I start a new job and I can't afford to pay two months(after deposit) worth of rent before my first paycheque on the 24th January. This has left me having to hold off enquiring about a place(found a good 5 I'd like to view) till quite late into December because as far as i'm aware I need to move in after the 24th so I don't have to pay 2 months of rent? I am also under the impression I can't simply find a place this early put down the deposit and ask to move in near the end of the month without paying the time between deposit and move in date.
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 11:03 AM
    If you move in mid-rental period you will pay the deposit and the rent between moving in date and then next rental date.

In your example (assuming rental period is calendar month)
    Moving in date - 16 days rent
    27th December - One months rent.

You will typically have to pay from the day your keys are available not the day you move in eg if the LL says you can move in from 15th but you don't move in until 24th you will still need to pay from 15th, you can see if you can come to some arrangement however London has high demand so typically the best houses will have 3/4 people wanting to move in so the LL will pick someone who is willing to pay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter