Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CDW
    • By CDW 7th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CDW
    Investing a lump sum for children
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:02 AM
    Investing a lump sum for children 7th Dec 17 at 10:02 AM
    My sons have been left £10000 each by a grandparent. This money is currently sat in a savings account not doing much. They are 9 and 7. I feel I have time to make this money do more for them- but am not used to investing in shares or other and would like advice as to recommended ways of best investing this money for them. Nervous of the junior ISA as not sure I want it to go straight to them at 18, but rather be a pot of money to help towards a house or uni as and handed over when best needed. Thanks.
Page 1
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:29 AM
    This may be slightly more involved than at first sight, even though I am pro investments, especially in these times of low savings return.

If you had gifted the £10k to your children then your proposal wouldn't cause me any concern or second thought. The fact that this is a gift from the grandmother to the children means you need to ensure you undertake appropriate 'care' of the gift.

What if in nine years time the 9y.o. received £9k?

What is a reasonable course of action for a child's monetary inheritance? It is situations like this where I feel quite uncomfortable offering opinions.

Nervous of the junior ISA as not sure I want it to go straight to them at 18, but rather be a pot of money to help towards a house or uni as and handed over when best needed.
    by CDW
    Not sure you have a choice, unless the grandmothers instructions dictated otherwise, i.e. in trust for the benefit of the child(ren); as opposed to being left to the child(ren).
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 07-12-2017 at 10:32 AM.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    • 23,683 Posts
    • 13,807 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:30 AM
    If the money has been left to your children without contingency then you can only hold it as bare trustee for them and they have the absolute legal right to access and control at age 18 (16 in Scotland).

You say that it is "in a savings account" - a savings account in whose name?

If in your name and you are only bare trustee as above, this is incorrect and the money should be transferred into an account in the name of each child individually.

If each child has a CTF, it would be possible to fill the CTF with the "CTF year" allowance, transfer the CTF to JISA and then fill the current tax year JISA allowance.

The balance could be held for each child in a child savings account and then transferred into the JISA on April 6 next year.

See https://www.skintedmintedmum.co.uk/minted-blog/how-to-transfer-a-child-trust-fund-ctf-to-jisa-with-a-double-scoop-of-tax-allowance.html

Within a JISA there is the option of holding cash, shares or cash and shares.

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts
    • CDW
    • By CDW 7th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CDW
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:35 AM
    The money is in a saving account in their own name.
    Thanks for responses so far
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 7th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 4,111 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 1:00 PM
    My sons have been left £10000 each by a grandparent. This money is currently sat in a savings account not doing much. They are 9 and 7. I feel I have time to make this money do more for them- but am not used to investing in shares or other and would like advice as to recommended ways of best investing this money for them. Nervous of the junior ISA as not sure I want it to go straight to them at 18, but rather be a pot of money to help towards a house or uni as and handed over when best needed. Thanks.
    Originally posted by CDW
    You donít actually have a say on whether they get access to the money at 18 or not, that have the right to claim their inheritance once they reach 18.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,699Posts Today

7,048Users online

Martin's Twitter