Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kaiser71
    • By Kaiser71 7th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kaiser71
    Emerging Market Funds
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:50 AM
    Emerging Market Funds 7th Dec 17 at 9:50 AM
    Hi All,
    I want to invest into some Emerging Market Funds and possibly India Growth Funds. Would I be better to purchase directly to the fund or go through someone like HL, Fidelity or Halifax?
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 7th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 11,728 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:10 AM
    If you want a fund operated by Vanguard, go to them directly. For most other providers, the minimum that they accept is more than most individuals are likely to have available.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 7th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 8,637 Posts
    • 8,612 Thanks
    Linton
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:15 AM
    Best to go through a platform otherwise it gets rather difficult to make changes to your portfolio. You dont want to transfer money from one fund manager to another just to rebalance the amounts invested in each fund.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 7th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 3,679 Posts
    • 4,424 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    Where do you hold your other investments? Investing solely in EM would be a ballsy and foolish move. If you want to use an ISA and went direct you would need to use all of your annual allowance with that one provider, do they offer the best non EM funds for you? Most people would use a platform because it is more practical and generally no more expensive, often cheaper
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 7th Dec 17, 10:31 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    It certainly used to be true that if you went direct, you'd pay some quite hefty initial fees, and if you went via a broker they would discount those fees. But as said, go via a broker such as HL, YI etc.
    • Kaiser71
    • By Kaiser71 7th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kaiser71
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    • 7th Dec 17, 2:33 PM
    Thanks Gents,
    It sounds risky but Iím only investing 20% of my portfolio into those funds. I have company shares in a oil company I work for. A couple of rental properties and decent company pensions. By the way I think oil prices and funds will bounce back very nicely in the coming years. Drilling programs are starting to move, Iím looking at some oil funds, also keeping an eye on a few companies which might float in a couple of years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

4,644Users online

Martin's Twitter