Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 7th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 4Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    Completion day
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:05 AM
    Completion day 7th Dec 17 at 9:05 AM
    Hi Everyone,

Tomorrow is completion day and Iíll be moving into a new build house. I was just wondering if anyone has any hints, tips or things I should look out for to make move in day go smoothly?

Thank you!
Page 1
    • aneary
    • By aneary 7th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 9:49 AM
    Have your bed linen in a separate box in your car along with a box of essentials (kettle, tea, coffee, snacks). As soon as your beds are in make your bed, everything else can be done later.

In addition whenever I moved, I always have a shoe box sized box with remote controls and cables for the TV.

Before you put anything in the house (as it's a new build) take lots of photos in case their is anything that needs fixing.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 7th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 9,845 Posts
    • 12,489 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:06 AM
    We've still not found our toothbrushes a week and a half later. I have no idea where they put them. Meant to pack them separately myself, but they just got missed. (Yes, we have bought new ones since lol!)

Literally everything you will need within two weeks - pack separately! I thought my packing was foolproof but there's definitely been a few bits I missed.

Mad panic last week as I was off to Dublin and suddenly thought ARGHHH PASSPORT! Luckily my BF had stored them somewhere.
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 7th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 7th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    If you can, walk around the house when it's empty, check the taps, lightswitches etc are all working. New builds can be prone to teething issues. Check what you've agreed is what you've got, without all of the clutter of your things in the way.

I usually try to make sure the house is clean before moving stuff in, but it all depends on how long you have. just a quick hoover/sweep and wipe down to get rid of building dust etc. easier without the clutter.

Agree 100% with packing an essentials box. Label the box clearly and take it with you in your car/separately if possible so it doesn't get lost in the jumble and stuck at the bottom of the pile of stuff.

I usually include kettle and brew making things, including cups. A set of cutlery and a plate per person - we usually end up with takeaway but having it separately means you don't have to dig for cutlery or end up with plastic things. Include a loo roll, soap and hand towel, bedding and spare clothes. Maybe even shower things. Possibly spare light bulbs etc in case not left any.

Bed first. you can live without bookshelves etc for a few days, but having a busy day and then having to build and make your bed when you're exhausted is the worst. Knowing that's done and you can collapse into sleep whenever you need to without extra effort is bliss.

Plug in fridge/freezer early too, if you're taking them, and they're not included, as they need time to settle.

ETA: know where you packed your paperwork and keep it safe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,266Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter